bluelion7

Raspberry pi 3 A+. Operating System difficulties

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Hi . I am using a Raspberry pi 3 A+. I installed the latest version of Noobs and also used Sd formatting card. It downloaded the system on to the pi. The card is 16 GB card and is not an official raspberry Pi card. It did not come with a card. Problem is the connection to Chromium is slow and it keeps closing down ,asks or passwords and log in etc. I transferred the sd card into a Raspbery Pi 3 B and it worked fine. I can't understand, is Noobs too big for the A+ and if so what should I use instead. Please help as I am new to this and I want to get up and running. Thanks

HawaiianPi

Re: Raspberry pi 3 A+. Operating System difficulties

Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:31 pm

bluelion7 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:38 pm
Hi . I am using a Raspberry pi 3 A+. I installed the latest version of Noobs and also used Sd formatting card. It downloaded the system on to the pi.
NOOBS isn't an OS, it's an OS installer. So what operating system did you install?

The card is 16 GB card and is not an official raspberry Pi card. It did not come with a card. Problem is the connection to Chromium is slow and it keeps closing down ,asks or passwords and log in etc. I transferred the sd card into a Raspbery Pi 3 B and it worked fine.
The 3A+ has half the RAM of the 3B(+) and Chromium can use a lot of RAM, depending on the websites you visit and number of tabs open. The Pi3 in general is not a great computer for web browsing, and the 3A even less so due to the limited RAM. If you try to open more than 3 tabs you can run into trouble even with the 3B+ (again, depending on the web site, some are more RAM hungry than others).

Not sure what passwords it would ask for (it shouldn't). What else did you install?

I can't understand, is Noobs too big for the A+ and if so what should I use instead. Please help as I am new to this and I want to get up and running. Thanks
NOOBS does use some of the SD card space for itself, but a 16GB card should have plenty of room for a single OS (if you tried to install more than one OS, then you might run into space issues).

Personally, I skip NOOBS and just install a Raspbian image directly with Etcher.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Gavinmc42

Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 am

Not much memory to do anything, Chromium is a hog.
I found a 1GB swap file helped on 3B+.
But a 2 or 4GB Pi4 is better :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

bluelion7

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:35 am

Mmm.. I presumed Noobs contains Rasbian. I had 2 tabs open in Chromium and was using the Scratch programming website. I am sure I just installed the Noobs/Rasbian system and no other. I only have the Pi 3 B on loan so I really hope to get my own A+ up and running smoothly. I would think the 16 Gb has loads of space and although it is not a Raspberry pi product it should work fine. Should I just install Etcher over the Noobs/Rasbian or do I have to delete that first in some way? This stuff is very confusing!! Thanks for your help so far!!

davidcoton

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:42 am

bluelion7 wrote:
I would think the 16 Gb has loads of space and although it is not a Raspberry pi product it should work fine.
The SDCard is not the problem.
The Pi3A has "only" 0.5GB RAM, which is not enough for any browser except those specifically designed to be "lightweight".
bluelion7 wrote:
Should I just install Etcher over the Noobs/Rasbian or do I have to delete that first in some way? This stuff is very confusing!! Thanks for your help so far!!
You do not install Etcher on the SDCard. Etcher runs on your PC (Windows/Mac) and writes the downloaded Pi OS to the SDCard in one easy step. It will overwrite whatever is on the card, and can verify the completed write.
Signature retired

pcmanbob

Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:44 am

If you want to write the raspbian image file directly to your SD card.

first on your desktop PC

download image file : https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

and download etcher : https://www.balena.io/etcher/

install etcher on the desktop PC.

insert SD card in to card reader and connect to desktop PC, use etcher to write/flash SD card with download image of raspbian.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

NOTE. doing this will over write your SD card so if you want to keep any files you must copy them off the SD card first.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “General discussion”