gauss135

HDMI to VGA

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 am

I, my name is Ale, I am from Bolivia, and I have a very serious problem.
I buy a Raspberry Pi(model B, 256MB) in about $80(american dollars), a monitor Samsung LED 19', and a cable HDMI to VGA, but the cable doesn't work, and after I searching in the forum I learned that I need an "adapter", in other words, I need a $100 more to be able to run my Raspberry, my question is:
Is there a way to work whitout the adapter? I mean with my cable HDMI-VGA?

I love linux, and the idea that you can run your own linux in a SOC just for only 35 dollars is great, at least in England, not in my country, this is not a cheap computer, let me show you why:
Raspberry PI $80
Monitor $110
Keyboard, mouse $15
cable HDMI-VGA $20
TOTAL $225 and still not working :lol:

You say that this computer is for learning and its cheap, but do not get me wrong, it doesn't work here, not until it have a VGA conector, HDMI is expensive and yes, we can use the old monitors with the Raspberry (they are VGA), but not a TV monitor, can you write a c++ code in a 14 inch TV?

I hope I can find a solution, but if not, I buy an "adapter", and it it would be great, but I can buy a netbook for that price right?, to the end this is a very expensive toy and I am not a very poor man, I have a Raspberry PI right?.

Anyway I am very grateful for the Raspberry Pi, I love it, and I am zorry but you need to know how it works in other countries.

I wish them well, happy holidays.

ahstwin

Re: HDMI to VGA

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 am

HDMI to VGA converters are quite expensive although they're slowly becoming more affordable. You can't just blindly buy any hdmi to vga converter and expect it to work. If you read the basic setup guide on the elinux wiki page, it says you need to buy the right one.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup

Personally, I've never bothered to because a lot of older monitors (not ancient) appear to have a DVI input. hdmi to dvi converters work like a charm as they are still digital signals being sent through.

To answer your question in short, no, you can't work it without a hdmi to vga converter (A proper one).

Also, your budgeting appears to be similar to others who have purchased the RPi. The board may be slightly cheaper in other countries but would not drop too far past your number.

You can buy a netbook if you want, but you're not seeing the true purpose of the Rpi: It's not exactly the everyday computer of a regular person; it's a prototyping platform with GPIO capabilities. A netbook doesn't function that way and it doesn't have the potential for different applications like the Rpi.

If you're looking at the really old monitors you should consider the composite output (yellow cable) as a means of display.

And finally, everyone is well aware of the limitations people face when trying to use the Rpi with their older peripherals. Please keep in mind, it was designed for use on newer monitors and keyboards (usb) and if you wanted to use it with older technology you'd need the right converters (which may be expensive).

JackNapster

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 am

Glad to see that you like sharing ;)
Sorry to hear that it's very expensive in your country :shock:
As you've listed:
  • Raspberry PI $80
    Monitor $110
    Keyboard, mouse $15
    cable HDMI-VGA $20
    TOTAL $225 and still not working
Let me give you a list in China:
  • Raspberry PI ¥235 plus VAT to be ¥280
    Monitor ¥200(second-hand one. i ever sold one 17 CRT monitor at ¥20 = $3 :o )
    Keyboard, mouse ¥50
    cable HDMI-VGA ¥80
    TOTAL ¥610 maybe it work
almost $100 , it might work

And the reason why it's cheap here:
Many factories, many engineers, many companies, no tax inwardly

and the price also depends on the Tax rate in your country.

I am going to ShenZhen China.

Hope it could be helpful :)

Aydan

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm confused, your monitor should support HDMI and DVI so you only need an HDMI cable or an HDMI to DVI cable/adapter.
Or did you mistype your monitor type? Is it an older LCD model without DVI/HDMI?

Regards
Aydan

gauss135

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you for your answers, I been looking the right solution to my problem, and I find that I need to buy the correct adaptor.

To ahstwin:
I did not inflate in price, in fact it cost me a litle bit more, I am not lying, why would you?
I love linux and I believe in the open source so... I know the purpose of the Rpi, I am only show you how it works in my country, nothing more, I am trying to find a solution, the fact is the VGA is the most known and cheap here, but things are not the same in all countries, however, I appreciate your answer, thank you.

To JackNapster:
Look, I don't think that I can go to ShenZhen China, but maybe you can, the national minimum wage is here about 150 american dollars, you have 1500 I suppose), then, I think my trip will be postponed, but we are here to find a solution, we want the Rpi to reach more people, we need the people believe it, that we can develop a solution that they can buy it, a cheap solution, and I believe we can do it.

Adam, my monitor is a Samsung LED 19' model SA100, but it has only VGA input, the problem is how can I use the simple cable HDMI-VGA and make it work.

Thank you all.

Aydan

Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:51 pm

gauss135 wrote:my monitor is a Samsung LED 19' model SA100, but it has only VGA input, the problem is how can I use the simple cable HDMI-VGA and make it work.
Short answer: you can't
Long answer: you need an active HDMI to VGA converter like this, because the Raspberrypi only emits digital signals which have to be converted to analog signals for your monitor.
A simple pin to pin adapter like a cable can't do this.
I've seen people on these forums using those active converters with varying levels of success.
It might be easier to acquire a used DVI or HDMI monitor than to get one of those converters.

Regards
Aydan

yaggi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

These are only $10 and work great. I have three of them now, they are more then just those phoney cables and do actual Digital to Analog conversion.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-Male-to-VGA ... 51a4b36278

Remember to set hdmi_drive=2 in your config.txt to force HDMI mode or they will not work though. Enjoy!

sdeneefe

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 pm

@yaggi: this adaptor is not externally powered, but draws on the HDMI power. From what I understand, the HDMI port on the Pi is not expecting much power to be drawn from it, and it may overload a diode and burn it out. How long have you run with one of these? (They look very convenient, I have a spare VGA that I'd use if I could).

yaggi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm

I saw some people have had issues with similar models and have modified them to run from an external USB power source. I've been running mine for a couple weeks without any problems, so I can't say that I have had a similar experience.

The only problems I experienced were in config.txt I had hdmi_mode = 16 and with certain monitors it did not work, after selecting another resolution it worked great.

The other problem I experienced was with HDMI mode forced on with this adapter I lost sound from the headphone jack. You can either purchase these adapters with a headphone jack built into them directly or you can simple force sound out of the headphone jack with the command:

Code: Select all

amixer cset numid=3 1

curtesy

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Hola, Ale,

I bought my RPI from MCM Electronics in Ohio, US. They are an official distributor for RPI. As part of the purchase, I bought a HDMI-VGA converter from MCM ($US25). It worked perfectly with my old computer display, right out of the box (my RPI is the wheezy build, 2012-09-??). You may have to play with the settings for the hdmi to get the correct aspect ratio. The device I bought does put through sound, that unit will cost an additional $25, as can be seen from the adapter page url below.

Here is the url for the adapter (MCM P/N 83-1407):
http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/s ... ga&x=0&y=0

You do not need an hdmi cable, the adapter plugs straight in to the PI. You will need a VGA cable (like from a computer to a monitor) to go from the adapter to the display. Secure the PI and the adapter to a board, you do not want to break the hdmi connector !

basta suerte!

curtesy
Mountain view, California (Googleville)

yaggi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

So the exact one I posted above for $10 with the settings you speak of? :P

pksato

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Hola, Ale.
The cost of RPi in Bolivia is very similar to of Brazil, I paid around $90.
Plus, $15 on 4GB SD card, $1 on micro usb cable, and 10.44 for HDMI to VGA converter.
And $25 on a used 15" monitor.
HDMI to VGA buyed from:
http://www.buyincoins.com/new_en/detail ... 14470.html
These converters use a Lontium LT8511A, the power usage is around 200mA, and make diode d1 little hot. I don't recommend to use convert with audio without external power supply, audio circuitry can draw 50mA or more, and damage d1 diode (very cheap to replace).
If converter don't have external power connector, this can solve the problem.
http://dx.com/p/hdmi-male-to-hdmi-femal ... ack-155361

Even RPi having a monitor, most my RPi use is done via SSH, from my desktop computer (19" monitor with vertical blue line). So you can program for RPi, from other computer and display result on a TV set.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hWY_ ... onitor.jpg

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

The external power adapter for HDMI is a very nice find!
Ill add it to the wiki.

gauss135

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 am

Ok, I think I will prefer this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-PC-HDMI ... 0929883993 or something like that.
That is because I don't want to burn mi Rpi, so, I will looking a way to buy it.

Thank you for your patience, and for the ideas to make it work the Rpi.
A little advice:
If you want to buy a monitor for your Rpi, BUY WITH HDMI INPUT.

At last but not least, can you design a Rpi with VGA output?

yaggi

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 pm

I think that's a big negative. I am pretty sure the current SoC they are using does not support it.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 pm

I think many LCD monitors nowadays will have DVI-D inputs, and you can use them with a PI with just a suitable cable.
Monitors with HDMI inputs do exist but are relatively rare compared to monitors with DVI-D inputs.
HDMI is more meant to be connected to a modern TV.

Problem is, many people do not even know that their monitor also has a DVI-D input, even when is much superior to VGA.

wayner

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

@mahjongg - I disagree that monitors with HDMI are relatively rare. Certainly they are less common than VGA or HDMI, but once you hit the mid-range in terms of price most monitors do have HDMI and often Display Port as well. But your TV idea is a good one. You can often buy TVs for as cheap as a monitor - I just bought a 24" refurbished TV here in Canada for about $140, primarily to use with my Pi. The TV has HDMI and VGA inputs. The only downside is that it has a relatively modest resolution of 1366x768 but it should also be able to play sound via HDMI and I can also hook it up to other devices if I want.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:12 pm

I was talking about used second hand monitors, as we were talking about minimal budget solutions.
Yes, practically mid and above price range monitors in the shops today have HDMI DVI-D and even VGA inputs still, but the situation was a bit different say 5 to 10 years ago. DVI-D devices first came on the market around the year 2000.
Im guessing most second hand 15" to 17" LCD monitors won't have HDMI, but there is a good chance they do have DVI-D, so if you go shopping for a second hand monitor make sure to get one with a DVI-D input, and also make sure it isn't just DVI-A, ask for a money back guarantee if its unclear if the connector really is DVI-D, and not simply DVI-A. Read up on it on wikipedia, which has a good article on the differences. It doesn't matter if you get a "single channel" or a "dual channel", as long as its DVI-D!

DVI-A is just a marketing ploy. :evil:

Return to “General discussion”