Jmh474

Convert .img to noobs .img

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:23 pm

As the title suggests I have a massive 250gb File I want to be able to install via pinn but my understanding is that it has to be an img that supports noobs as well.

Tar.gz or Tar.xz

What are my best options at the moment its just a .img file on a hard drive.

I have a raspberry pi 3 b plus
I'll be running a 1TB hard drive
With the above retropie image (if can convert it), Raspbian, kodi and probably another os but not shore yet.

Thanks for any help people can offer

topguy

Re: Convert .img to noobs .img

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm almost sure that PINN and Noobs dont really use "images", they uses archived "root filesystems".
A disk image contains all the information from all the blocks on the disk/partition, also all the empty ones. Creating a packed archive of all the files instead is much more effective, and you can create partitions of different sizes and extract the files into them regardless ( as long as the partition is big enough )

So it matters how full your image is with files.

Can PINN install on a USB drive ?

procount

Re: Convert .img to noobs .img

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 pm

Yes, PINN can install to USB.

No, it can't install a disk image containing multiple partitions, but it could probably use an image for each partition.

My suggestion would be to install a new copy of retropie with PINN, along with any other OSes you want. Use Matt's PINN.mjh.nz page to fix the partition sizes if you need to, ensuring the retropie partitions are at least as big as those in your image.

Once it is all installed, delete the files on the retropie partitions, then loop mount your image and copy the files off it I to your new blank partitions.

Converting a 250GB image would take far too long for a one-off installation like this.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “General discussion”