Joe Schmoe wrote:Please Google "The Osbourne Effect"
and get back to us, OK?
Since I'm old enough to remember when that happened.... It is worth keeping in mind that there are a few differences. Primarily, the Osbourne machines were relatively expensive while the Pi is cheap. One didn't order bunches of Osbournes, but people *do* order several Pis.
I have all versions of Pis except the the very earliest (the limited production test models) and the 256MB Rev. 2. I'd kind of like to have one of the later. If there is a Rev. 3 next year, I'll get at least one, but if I find that I need/want more Pis I certainly wouldn't wait even if I knew *for* *sure* that a new revision was coming and when it would arrive.
Amending the post...
There are two conditions under which I might modify buying plans.
!. If I anticipate a need for one or more additional Pis and a new version is coming, I might order *sooner* so as to avoid the sorts of backlogs that have happened due to board revisions so far.
2. If a board revision was adding significant functionality that would have a major positive impact on my plans or opened up new uses, then I would wait for the new version to be on the market.
For case 2, I can think of only two possible primary changes--with a secondary change linked to one of those--that would cause me to react that way. Those changes would be (a) the addition of a SATA port to the board, and (b) a significantly faster processor (at least 1GHz base and OC'able to 1.5GHz). The secondary linked change would be 1GB RAM, which I would really only want with the faster CPU. Note that I do not expect any of these changes in the foreseeable future.