alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Portable screens that dont cost an arm and a leg

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm

My son has an in-car DVD player with two screens. The second screen is connected to the first with a 3.5mm jack that has 4 contacts on it (and power seperate). Is that likely to be video, left audio, right audio and ground? If so, is it likely that we can make or buy a cable to be able to attach this screen? The device hardly gets used except on long car journeys - would be in the spirit of the Pi to make use of something we already have It's a perfect size for a small PC too.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

linuxsuperbox

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:18 am

ok guys read the posts and think i found a soloution but it might be a little pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B.....dapas02-20

the model that is listed has an component input and runs off its own battery so no extra cable is needed unless you need sound output i actualy own this but got mine CHEAPER than amazon has right now.

zfh10

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:42 am

you can get similar tvs for half that on Ebay.

I would love to see if people can hook up a phone screen. You can get a replacement iphone 4 screens for $19

linuxsuperbox

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:47 am

yeah you would have to find a converter for that pinset since it is not standard

linuxsuperbox

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 am

with the haier tv i am going to open it up and break it down to run the pi off the battery and intergrate the 2 devices into one portable device

dapperdanman

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am

I see people wanting a portable screen for their Rpi and doing a little search I found this gem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-.....256e57056d

A bit on the small side, but it appears to run off of 4 AA batteries and has AV input jacks. I cannot imagine anyone using this to write their thesis with, but in a pinch you have yourself a traveling monitor without a need for an external power source. Personally, I would be looking for a minimum of a 7" screen, but someone might find this useful.

-Dapperdanman

nickstuffinc

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 pm

A little searching brought this one up

LCD

freezedasher

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.

-Albus Dumbledore

Jezmo

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 am

Unfortunatly you are going to struggle to get a portable display which is HDMI compatible and to convert from HDMI to LVDS would require a fair bit of FPGA design work if you wanted to do it and keep the costs down.The variable pinouts of LVDS is a pain in the arse and means it wouldn't be viable do produce a design commercially.
I am afraid its just a consequence of the decision that VGA as a video standard wasn't going to be supported by the pi.

Jezmo

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:43 am

Also you would need a pcb for the converter with properly impedance matched traces, which again is going to make it costly and time consuming and its one of these things where you are not really inclined to offer a work around to a design shortcoming.

Jezmo

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:42 am

OF course you can get a HDMI to VGA converter about £15 on ebay, make sure you get one which has a separate power supply as the very cheap ones take too much power from the HDMI port, and then you might be in with a shout of finding a suitable display unit.

Bernie.H

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Having thought about this, and not being technical at all, I was wondering is there any way to hookup to a digital photo frame. Good size and usually good quality. Any thoughts.

Bern

cbbcbail

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I just replaced an iPod touch screen and am now wondering if I can put the old one to good use. It would be really nice to be able to hook up the LCD to my RasPi and even cooler if I could get the Digitizer to work with it as well. I have been looking around for some kind of breakout connector but have been unable to find one. This could also be a solution to the problem of finding a cheap screen as replacements for iPod screens are pretty cheap.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm

here: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessori ... roductName is a 3.2" Oled display you could easily enough interface to a PI, and isn't too expensive.
Originally intended for use with the very interesting 8-core Propeller chip, but useable with many other systems as well.
It does need a driver to get it working though.

Similar screens are available that are sold as replacement screens for old mobile phones. Often with an SPI interface.

Return to “General discussion”