john123

Suggestions for Pi Based Security system

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:12 pm

I'd like to build a pi based system. I'd be rebuilding from scratch. I'm wondering if anyone can give any feedback on some of the pi-based systems out there, and any feedback on hardware, etc that is useful.

Are there any good premade projects out there? (I noticed a lot of my web searches show up with Cayenne, but all of their sites appear to dodge the subject of cost. There are some places that imply it's free, but from their site, I don't get the impression it is.
) I'd be looking for something that's opensource if possible, that has remote access (where I can arm/disarm/monitor it from the web). I'd like to be able to tweak it so it can talk to my Insteon hub (so for example, if the system was armed, and someone turned on the basement light, it would send me an alert, and start uploading videos offsite).

I am a programmer, so I can build one from scratch, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
John

Andyroo

Re: Suggestions for Pi Based Security system

Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:49 pm

I would look into the home automation systems (has a few) to handle the trigger and messaging.

Motion seems to be the standard in video handling based on previous posts here.

oksage

Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 am

I used to use motioneyeos, but had problems with it (can't remember what), and now am using 'rpi cam web interface' (I'll refer to as rcwi). MotioneyeOS is a specialized ISO, whereas rcwi can be installed on raspbian. Rcwi has not been perfect (maybe not configured just right), but works for me.

PhatFil

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:36 am

fwiw i use a number of PIR and window/door open/closed sensors that use 433mhz signals to 'raise alarms' interfacing with the pi involves a £10 investment in a sonoff rf bridge and reflashing it with tasmota firmware .

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmo ... Bridge-433

this creates a device that will echo EVERY 433 mhz signal it can decode as a wifi mqtt Topic/payload, It is limited to a basic set of protocols and as such your sensors broadcast codes which can theoretically be eavesdropped on and replicated?? so not ideal for garage door opening etc..

Return to “General discussion”