I have no the same problem with RPi4 8GB SC card
/dev/root 6.8G used 6.7 avail 167M Use 98%

now what can I due to get mor e space again

Max

Heater

Re: Disk space full

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:23 am

Get a bigger SD card?

8GB is a bit tight for a full up Linux installation.

Use a USB stick of SSD for more data storage space.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

wildfire

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 am

1) Don't hijack threads.

2) Buy a larger SD card (8GB is pitiful for latest OS's)

3) Start a new thread and supply more information, which model Pi, which OS, how did you install it etc?
E8 85 A2 40 C9 40 81 94 40 81 95 40 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

ejolson

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm

MaxTR wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:06 am
hi

Max
Another thought is to copy your root filesystem to an ext4-formatted iSCSI network-attached storage device and then use the 8GB SD card only for the initial boot. More specifically, you need to create an initial RAM filesystem with the passwords needed to mount the NAS and then pivot root to the iSCSI device.

This approach allows a single 6TB drive to be split into pieces that serve as the root filesystems for 100 Pi computers.

pfletch101

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:34 pm

ejolson wrote:
Another thought is to copy your root filesystem to an ext4-formatted iSCSI network-attached storage device and then use the 8GB SD card only for the initial boot. More specifically, you need to create an initial RAM filesystem with the passwords needed to mount the NAS and then pivot root to the iSCSI device.

This approach allows a single 6TB drive to be split into pieces that serve as the root filesystems for 100 Pi computers.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster if the single 6 TB drive fails!

dickon

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:43 pm

I recommend NFS over iSCSI, as it's much more flexible. Can be done without an initrd. See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=253314 for details.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

B.Goode

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 pm

MaxTR wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:06 am
hi

Max

"what can I due to get mor e space again"

Delete some files that you don't need.

If you have been a regular user of apt to keep your system updated, or to install additional packages, then

Code: Select all

sudo apt clean
might release the space taken by some temporary files.

ejolson

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm

pfletch101 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:34 pm
ejolson wrote:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster if the single 6 TB drive fails!
That's an good point. It might be a good idea to make backups once in a while. From this point of view, it is much easier to backup a single 6TB drive than 100 separate SD cards.

I agree that NFS is also a good choice. The reason I suggested iSCSI is because of how well it is supported by many inexpensive NAS appliances, such as those made by Synology and QNAP.

Now that the Pi 4B supports network boot, it may be possible to eliminate the SD card entirely. I haven't looked into the details, however, pure network-boot schemes often require carefully configured DHCP and TFTP servers to be available on the local subnet. Such things are not necessary when an SD card is used for the initial program load.

dickon

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm
Now that the Pi 4B supports network boot, it may be possible to eliminate the SD card entirely.
It is. See that thread for what I've done. All my Pis netboot, and the ones which can do it natively do so without SD cards. The ones that can't have SD cards containing bootcode.bin only, which works nicely, and allows the kernel and firmware files to be managed as if they were still local.
I haven't looked into the details, however, pure network-boot schemes often require carefully configured DHCP and TFTP servers to be available on the local subnet. Such things are not necessary when an SD card is used for the initial program load.
This is true. It needs a bit of setting up. You can also create an initrd on an SD card to handle an NFS root, and probably more easily than for iSCSI: mkinitramfs can just do it as a default. Not tried iSCSI in a while, admittedly.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

rpdom

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:43 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:00 pm
If you have been a regular user of apt to keep your system updated, or to install additional packages, then

Code: Select all

sudo apt clean
might release the space taken by some temporary files.
I believe apt automatically removes those files once installation is complete, unlike apt-get which leaves them behind and requires the "clean" option every now and then.
Unreadable squiggle

LTolledo

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 pm

the solution is always simple

Get a bigger microSD card, as prices of those are already cheaper than smaller capacity cards
but beware of fakes
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “General discussion”