pygmy_giant

Re: Help stop price gouging online

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 pm

I think you are basically right but we already know all this.
We may think reselling for a profit is bad but there
is NOTHING we can do about it !

The resellers are going to keep doing it
whether you/we like it or not.

Reiterating it endlessly will not change the situation.
Really nothing?

Couldn't the Foundation re-introduce a cap on the number of Pis sold to one person to - say - three pr order?

That might at least discourage this.

fozzy bear

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm not sure the foundation can dictate these kinds of changes
to the legitimate distributors (licensed ) chosen by the foundation.

It may depend on the contracts that have been drawn up
and which the manufacturers/distributors have to abide by.
Maybe someone else can help out there as well.

Your suggestion could work if either the current contracts
cover this change or if new contracts could be drawn up.

But then maybe I am wrong and a moderator ( possibly jamesh or liz ? ) or someone else from the foundation should comment on this.

fozzy

?8O)}

From little things BIG things grow ( mighty oaks and even razzle berries ).

macrutan

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 pm

A cap would be an issue for those of us teaching. The hackerspace I participate in, FamiLAB, has just made a purchase of 10 units in order to do a workshop. Consider what a cap would do to that scenario?

pygmy_giant

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

true.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm

macrutan wrote:A cap would be an issue for those of us teaching. The hackerspace I participate in, FamiLAB, has just made a purchase of 10 units in order to do a workshop. Consider what a cap would do to that scenario?
What he said.

Some companies who buy to resell do a great job, Adafruit, NewIT etc. They don't add much cost, and are very helpful to the Foundation's causes. They need to buy in bulk to be able to do that. And unless you start being very picky about who you sell too (is that illegal in the EU - I think it might be), then constraining order levels hurts these people.

When it comes down to it, the only real answer is to ensure that people can go out and buy at or close to the headline price over the counter or next day from reputable suppliers. A simple websearch will find the lowest prices for people looking. And that day is close. Without that there will also be a market for inflated prices for people who are willing to pay over the odds to get something NOW. That happens in every market.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jim JKla

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am

The market place is going to remain in flux till there is a mass release of the Model "A" machines.

I suspect this is going to be the primary choice for schools etc. just on price point especially when you may be buying 90 plus units that are not for resale.

Even then this scenario is speculation on my part.

Until then all we can do is highlight the good deals with good support and guide the Noob end of the Noob-Geek continuum towards the enlightenment end of the scale.

Discussions like the one going on here can only help highlight the users see that the best deals are to be found by shopping around.

You either buy your RPi from RS or Farnell and glean your parts from them or some other source or you buy some all in one package like the Maplins one and accept there’s a margin being made on the peripherals, not necessarily a big margin at that.
;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

pluggy

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 pm

If people are prepared to to pay the asking price (or are stupid enough to depending on your viewpoint) what difference does it make ?. Its capitalism, get used to it.

If an Ebay merchant can scratch a living buying and selling Raspberry Pi's at a profit, good luck to him. Methinks a lot of people have never been self employed.......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “General discussion”