cmann123

dd: /dev/disk2: Permission denied

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm

I was installing the buster-lite.img file to an SD card following the guide from the official website. I have done this before and because it is a small file it generally takes no more than a couple minutes. The memory card slot in my laptop is a bit sensitive so when I moved the laptop it caused the card to eject (I know silly from me). My issue if that it was clearly not finished and I can't seem to write to the SD card at all.

I am no expert with computers and the advice online is to place the card into a camera? or seem to be very involved or quite complex just to reformat the card. Other things I read lead me to think the card is knackered. I actually would like to fix this rather than just buying a new card, I know they are cheap but would be interesting to know what exactly is wrong

ls -l provides this information also "br--r----- 1 root operator 1, 8 13 Sep 15:57 /dev/disk2"

Sorry if this is trivial as I say I am a complete beginner.

Thanks guys

drgeoff

Re: dd: /dev/disk2: Permission denied

Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Try formatting the card in a digital camera.

Moonmarch

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:30 pm

On a Windows PC if the SD card does not appear in file manager then run the diskpart utility with command prompt, you write "diskpart" in command prompt then "list disk" to see all available memory drives connected to the computer if you see the SD card then you should be able to format the card using diskpart here is a link to how to use diskpart:

How to Format Raspberry Pi SD Card?
https://www.disk-partition.com/articles ... -4125.html

You can always use disk management utility on Windows 10 type disk management in the search box the program has the same function, actually using etcher to write the OS image should format the SD card automatically which means you don't need to format the SD card if you use etcher.

bjtheone

Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 pm

The permission denied is likely due to either how you have the card mounted or the user you are running the command as. However, if you are trying to write the card using a PC running Windows, the simplest, most error free way to create the SD card is to use Etcher. It is a graphical program that will take care of all the steps to create a working SD card for the Pi. All you need to do is to install Etcher on your PC, download the image file from RPT, insert the SD card, run Etcher, select the SD card and the file you want to install. It will write all the files and verify the card.

It is a much more robust way than using dd, since it validates the card after writing it. If Etcher cannot successfully write the card, it likely is damaged beyond repair.

Return to “General discussion”