Re: Raspberry Pi4 bootloader update package

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:12 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm
5t4n5 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:51 pm
jcyr wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm
My apologies. I'll try keep that in mind.

BTW. No need to jump ship from Windows. Both Windows and in Linux are useful tools, not to mention FreeRTOS in some cases.
Thanks. My jumping ship is because Windows 7 is soon to be ended and i need a new desktop for my living room. So i got the Pi 4 now to give my time to learn Linux and stuff before January.

It's going well, already got it clocked to 2 gig and cooled to 35c and booting from SSD and streaming 1080p without any problems. But this bootloader thing just totally confused me. But all in the learning curve.
Just a suggestion, but if you are fairly to Linux and the Pi you probably don't want to be out on the leading edge of firmware changes. You certainly can be but it does come with some risks and potential extra work on your part.

One of the joys of dealing directly with a small and very response company is that they have very high level of interaction with their userbase. They also make "stuff" available very early on in the process and do not tightly limit their beta and sometimes alpha users/testers. However, there is a somewhat implicit assumption that said users who want to be out on the leading edge, are willing to accept the risks that things might not be completely sorted out, might not work, might completely break their install, and have the abilities to sort it out.

There is no need for most users to be out on said edge, and I would suggest that for most folks, without a very specific need or who really want to help out and test new stuff, it makes sense to wait until things are fully tested and rolled out. At that point stuff it will be fully tested, documented, and have easier installation methods.
Excellent post.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

JumpZero

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:47 pm

JumpZero wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 am
@timg236 thanks for quick answer:

I never updated my firmware, here is my version

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ vcgencmd bootloader_version
May 10 2019 19:40:36
version d2402c53cdeb0f072ff05d52987b1b6b6d474691 (release)
timestamp 0
So before being able to use rpi-eeprom I have to update the firmware. How? with rpi-eeprom? Is this recursive? :o ;)
Ok you said: "should happen automatically."
I'll give a try
Thks

I did it and everything is OK!
I just want to report it to let you know.

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade 
sudo apt install rpi-eeprom
Then as per the doc I masked (and also stopped) the service, because I want to manually control updates

sudo systemctl mask rpi-eeprom-update
sudo systemctl stop rpi-eeprom-update
Then

rpi-eeprom-update
tell me update is REQUIRED
So after reading the doc with

rpi-eeprom-update -h
I did

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a
Then reboot as instructed, and now the latest firmware is flashed in the eeprom

[email protected]:~ $ vcgencmd bootloader_version
Sep 10 2019 10:41:50
version f626c772b15ba1b7e0532a8d50a761b3ccbdf3bb (release)
timestamp 1568112110 
I stay with the critical I don't want to play with the beta version but next I'll check the eeprom config, specially the POWER_OFF_ON_HALT setting.

Thks to the dev

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm

A warning for anybody who wants to avoid automatically updating the bootloader: If you masked the service AFTER you installed the package, then it would've already run 'rpi-eeprom-update -a' before you had a chance to mask it.

JumpZero

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:05 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm
A warning for anybody who wants to avoid automatically updating the bootloader: If you masked the service AFTER you installed the package, then it would've already run 'rpi-eeprom-update -a' before you had a chance to mask it.
Yes I confirm, I noticed that after package installation I had a recovery.bin and a pieeprom.??? dated of today in the /boot directory. Meaning if I understand correctly an eeprom flash at next reboot.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:32 pm

spot on

Atari2020

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:35 pm

I am a noob when it comes to the real tech stuff, but I have four decades of expirence as a user. I have not updated again since installing the eeprom software. If this is something for the tech types should I change a setting to get regular user updates?

Later edit: I read up on the mysterious rpi-update package and figured it out. So now I have the latest and hopefully greatest firmware. Cool. I thought it was something like an app I was installing.

Thanks for the explanation

Return to “General discussion”