DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:25 pm

yanniks wrote:Hi,
I really like your work!
So you just use a Raspberry PI and a relay? We have an older DORMA Tormatic System, is it possible to set that up? Which relay is requied?

Thanks,
Yannik
A 5v relay, as the pi can output 5v to power it. It's activated via a GPIO pin - and a transistor.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm

...well the Pi only outputs 3v3, but that should be enough to drive a transistor with the right circuitry around it.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

yanniks
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks, so something like this would be ok?: http://www.soselectronic.com/?str=371&a ... 9-005-4001

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Looks fine.

peadard
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:15 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 am

Hi Guys.
Firstly thank you Darktheraphy for posting this.
I have successfully managed to get Siriproxy running on my pi after a couple of issues.
One that i have seen mentionned a couple of times was the "No such file or directory" when trying to run SiriProxy server. I found that this line helped "Note: on some machines, rvmsudo changes "`~`" to "`/root/`". This means that you may need to symlink your "`.siriproxy`" directory to "`/root/`" in order to get the application to work:

sudo ln -s ~/.siriproxy /root/.siriproxy
"
This is found in the README.md in the SiriProxy folder so hopefully it helps some people. :)

After I got Siriproxy up and running I started thinking about its applications. I have a Elk M1 gold in my house doubling as a home automation and security system. I was going to wire the Pi up to this but then I thought of using code to do it. With the help of the info and files from here (Thank you very much James Russo) http://sourceforge.net/projects/elkm1control/ I now use Siri to activate almost anything I want to on my M1.
So again a big thank you to DarkTheraphy for getting me on the right path.

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

peadard wrote:Hi Guys.
Firstly thank you Darktheraphy for posting this.
I have successfully managed to get Siriproxy running on my pi after a couple of issues.
One that i have seen mentionned a couple of times was the "No such file or directory" when trying to run SiriProxy server. I found that this line helped "Note: on some machines, rvmsudo changes "`~`" to "`/root/`". This means that you may need to symlink your "`.siriproxy`" directory to "`/root/`" in order to get the application to work:

sudo ln -s ~/.siriproxy /root/.siriproxy
"
This is found in the README.md in the SiriProxy folder so hopefully it helps some people. :)

After I got Siriproxy up and running I started thinking about its applications. I have a Elk M1 gold in my house doubling as a home automation and security system. I was going to wire the Pi up to this but then I thought of using code to do it. With the help of the info and files from here (Thank you very much James Russo) http://sourceforge.net/projects/elkm1control/ I now use Siri to activate almost anything I want to on my M1.
So again a big thank you to DarkTheraphy for getting me on the right path.
That's great :0)

DarkTherapy*

joefly
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I just wanted to ditto peadard.

Thanks to Darktherapy for getting all this started and the help along the way.

I have also got the automation working with siriproxy and ISY. the plugin is here

https://github.com/hoopty3/siriproxy-isy99i

I am able to turn on lights, control sonos, and all the insteon devices, using ISY programs and network resources. Now my gf does not have to remember all the remote controls but simply just speak to her iphone to do certain things. She was previously paralyzed at home without me due to the complications of all my lighting and sound controls. LOL. Now she feels like the master, controlling commands through siri!!!

yanniks
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 am

Ok, thanks, got the most for now.
One last question: The requied port "external pushbutton" is already in usage. Is it possible without complications to screw down 2 wires in it?

Thanks,
Yannik

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 am

I can't see that being a problem.

jorgen
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting this great project. I have now a running pi with siriproxy and a tellstick (http://www.telldus.se/products/tellstick). Can't even imagine all the possibilities with this combination!

I'm able to turn on and off my Christmas three lights now using Siri. Very useful :)

Just ordered a "USB Infrared Toy v2", so soon maybe I can use Siri to control my TV as well!

Jørgen

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:15 pm

jorgen wrote:Hi,

Thanks for posting this great project. I have now a running pi with siriproxy and a tellstick (http://www.telldus.se/products/tellstick). Can't even imagine all the possibilities with this combination!

I'm able to turn on and off my Christmas three lights now using Siri. Very useful :)

Just ordered a "USB Infrared Toy v2", so soon maybe I can use Siri to control my TV as well!

Jørgen
Haha, that's awesome!

G160
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:49 pm

DarkTherapy wrote:
texy wrote:
DarkTherapy wrote:Does anyone know what protocols the "Sky+" app uses to talk to a Sky+ HD box connected to my router? It would be awesome to have Siri control my Sky+

My sky box is connected to my router and I can use the sky+ app on my iPhone to change channels or fast forward/rewind, access my planner etc these are protocols over my network surely. I may fire up wireshark later and see if I can work it out.
Do u mean like this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOOZ82N99d4

I'm not home till Xmas eve but I achieved it by creating seperate applications (on mac),one for each command,sent via telnet.
I gave up working out out how to send the commands directly via ruby,mainly due to my limited knowledge of ruby.

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 pm

For anyone interested, I made a quick video overview of the hardware used: http://youtu.be/voifxiICHi4

alankernel
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:52 pm

This may be a dum question, but does the iOS device need to be jailbroken to do this?

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:39 pm

alankernel wrote:This may be a dum question, but does the iOS device need to be jailbroken to do this?
No

joefly
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:18 pm

HI Dark therapy,

I got everything up and running and now just fine tuning. For ip, I have one for wired, and another for wifi.
I also got raspberrypi.local using
raspberrypi.local
If you have trouble remembering the IP address of your Raspberry Pi when you want to access it over the network, install avahi with the command “sudo apt-get install avahi-daemon” and you’ll be able to use raspberrypi.local instead of the IP address. If you’re accessing the Raspberry Pi from a Windows machine, you may need to install Bonjour Services on it for this to work
when I change my ip address in dnsmasq.conf to that of "raspberrypi.local" it seems not not like it as it the dnsmasq will not restart.

Question: since i change back and forth between wired and wifi and various routers, I hope to reference raspberrypi.local to make it easier to connect under various connections. Is there are way to alter dnsmasq to this?

Thanks

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 am

Maybe you could make a boot up script that checks your local IP address then modifies the dns config to match, then restarts the dns service?

pwb2103
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 am

This is amazing, I'm going to see if I can modify it slightly so that I can buzz myself into my apartment building via siri. One question: how robust has your setup been? Has it been running steadily since you set it up? Are you confident enough to leave your garage door opener behind?

DarkTherapy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:21 am

pwb2103 wrote:This is amazing, I'm going to see if I can modify it slightly so that I can buzz myself into my apartment building via siri. One question: how robust has your setup been? Has it been running steadily since you set it up? Are you confident enough to leave your garage door opener behind?
I've had it run for a few weeks without problems, but if there's a power cut and the pi reboots I don't have it setup to restart the SiriProxy, I'd have it do that if I wanted a more robust system.

wakummaci
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey, lovely project and I'd definitely like to try something similar.
However when I follow the instructions on how to install siri proxy, from the link you provided ( http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/12/09 ... ial-video/), I get stuck after I type command 7 : (rvm install 1.9.3).

It says command not found. Everything runs perfectly till that point, but somehow my pi can't find rvm whatsoever. Any ideas on how to fix that?

User avatar
terrycarlin
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

If you are installing this as root, you need to enter this

Code: Select all

source /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh
in the command line.

if you log off and log back on, that code should be included automagicly.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

wakummaci
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

terrycarlin wrote:If you are installing this as root, you need to enter this

Code: Select all

source /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh
in the command line.

if you log off and log back on, that code should be included automagicly.
Thanks, that worked, however when im installing rvm, i get the following error:

"Error runing 'make', please read /usr/local/rvm/log/......
There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.

elvisimprsntr
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:05 am

I've got Siri controlling my entire house!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 37&t=27529

Elvis
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheElvisImprsntr

User avatar
terrycarlin
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:47 am

wakummaci wrote:
terrycarlin wrote:If you are installing this as root, you need to enter this

Code: Select all

source /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh
in the command line.

if you log off and log back on, that code should be included automagicly.
Thanks, that worked, however when im installing rvm, i get the following error:

"Error runing 'make', please read /usr/local/rvm/log/......
There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.
Can you post the log file?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works.

elvisimprsntr
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Siri: Open my garage door..

Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23 am

wakummaci wrote:
terrycarlin wrote:If you are installing this as root, you need to enter this

Code: Select all

source /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh
in the command line.

if you log off and log back on, that code should be included automagicly.
Thanks, that worked, however when im installing rvm, i get the following error:

"Error runing 'make', please read /usr/local/rvm/log/......
There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.
If you are are installing as root follow the applicable instructions here: https://github.com/plamoni/SiriProxy/wi ... on-How-Tos
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheElvisImprsntr

Return to “General discussion”