SkywalkerSW5

piDS

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Hello!
I have created a script that installs the MATE Desktop Environment, Chromium, Firefox, VLC, and a bunch of other programs that makes the Raspberry Pi better at being a desktop. I don't really have a name for it so I will just call it RpiDs. The script is for people who just started to get into Linux, and don't know how to use the command line, but other people can use it as well. However there is a lot of packages being installed, so it may take a while.
To install it, download this file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11O_ArV ... sp=sharing
Then copy this to the terminal:

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

chmod +x setup.sh
Then install it by running:

sudo ./setup.sh
If there is any criticism, comments, or more apps wanted, please tell! I will update the script as much as possible. Thank you.
Last edited by SkywalkerSW5 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Random dude. Likes dogs. And Linux. Complete NOOB.

B.Goode

Re: Raspberry Pi Desktop Setup Script

Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:37 pm

"Raspberry Pi Desktop" is a name already being used by Raspberry Pi themselves to describe their own Desktop/GUI. See https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/
Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop is the Foundation’s operating system for PC and Mac. You can create a live disc, run it in a virtual machine, or even install it on your computer.

Raspberry Pi Desktop comes pre-installed with plenty of software for education, programming and general use; including Python, Scratch, Sonic Pi, Java, and more.

Confusion and frustration may result if you continue to employ the same name/description.

SkywalkerSW5

Re: Raspberry Pi Desktop Setup Script

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Thank you B.Goode, I didn’t realize that. I will change the name of the post and the script immediately.

SkywalkerSW5

Re: Raspberry Pi MATE Setup Script

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Does anyone got an idea for names? Raspberry Pi MATE Setup sucks.

PeterO

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm tempted to try this (as I run MATE on MINT19 on my Intel boxes) but it looks like the MATE in the repositories is 1.20 and is about 18 months out of date :-(
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

SkywalkerSW5

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:38 pm

I’m about done with version two. It will feature an option to install MATE, XFCE, LXDE, and GNOME (maybe it will run on the Pi4?). But I still need a name. It will also let you choose to let you install media programs, interweb, and coding programs.

SkywalkerSW5

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:40 pm

And it will be compatible with with x86 versions of Linux.

bjtheone

Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Given that folks really need to learn about apt or apt-get to maintain their Linux install perhaps a tutorial of how to install Mate with explanation of what they are installing and why is more appropriate.

SkywalkerSW5

Re: piDS

Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Version 2 is released! I have added support for x86 machines as well! I have added explanations to the Raspberry Pi version, but I will add more explanations in Version 2.2. Explanations will also be coming to the x86 version too. My Raspberry Pi is my only Linux computer, so if some of the x86 version messes up, or doesn't install correctly, let me know.

How to install the Raspberry Pi Version:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SkywalkerSW5/piDS/master/piDS

sudo chmod +x piDS

sudo ./piDS
How to install the x86 Version:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SkywalkerSW5/piDS/master/piDSDeb

sudo chmod +x piDSDeb

sudo ./piDSDeb
After running the script, it will copy to /usr/bin/ so you can just run

piDS
or

piDSDeb

Return to “General discussion”