DMauriceSr

Micro SD card size

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 pm

SD Card size - I'm trying to use the extra space on a 32gig micro card for storage. When installing the Raspbian Buster with desktop image there is about 20 gigs of unused data. I tried to format the unused partition but the drive became unbootable. I partitioned the drive into two sections and installed on the smaller partition, but the 2nd area for storage got erased?

Anyone know how do you use the extra space on a card?

LTolledo

Re: Micro SD card size

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:05 pm

on an image install there are two partitions, the /boot and the /root partitions

for buster, the /boot partition takes about 250MB (correct me on this), formatted to FAT16
the /root partition takes the remaining capacity, formatted to EXT4.

a full desktop installation, with some bit of extras, will take less than 16GB, so the rest of the remaining space can be used for your data.

however if you're planning to format a portion of the microSD to other formats, its best done on another linux installation (or another raspbian setup)
install gparted and use it to resize (shrink) the EXT4 partition of the microSD
format the remaining to the format you prefer (NTFS, FAT32, etc)

if it does not boot, you may need to edit the cmdline.txt and fstab to temporarily change the PARTUUID=xxxxx-1 and PARTUUID=xxxx-2 entries to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 respectively.
once you've booted properly you can change it back to the new PARTUUID (checked using the command blkid)

I've done this on a 250GB HDD boot RPi3B, which contains FAT16 /root, EXT4 /root and NTFS /data
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:16 am

DMauriceSr wrote:
When installing the Raspbian Buster with desktop image there is about 20 gigs of unused data.
Only before you boot the card. On first boot the OS will resize the rootfs partition to fill the remaining unused space.

I really don't understand why so many new users think they have to mess with partitions manually (this has been popping up a lot lately). Is there a bad guide somewhere recommending this?

You do not have to do anything. Just write the image to the card (preferably with Etcher) and boot it up (resizing is done automatically).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

klricks

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:23 am

DMauriceSr wrote:
SD Card size - I'm trying to use the extra space on a 32gig micro card for storage. When installing the Raspbian Buster with desktop image there is about 20 gigs of unused data. I tried to format the unused partition but the drive became unbootable. I partitioned the drive into two sections and installed on the smaller partition, but the 2nd area for storage got erased?

You did not say how you plan to use or access the space?
-When Etcher is used to write an image to the SD disk, all formatting will be overwritten.
-On first boot the Linux partition will be expanded to fill the entire card and formatted to Linux ext4. There will be no 'unused partition'.
-The empty space can then be used to store files and data just as you would do with any other computer. Files can be copied over via a network share or USB thumb drive etc etc.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

DMauriceSr

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:16 am
DMauriceSr wrote:
When installing the Raspbian Buster with desktop image there is about 20 gigs of unused data.
Only before you boot the card. On first boot the OS will resize the rootfs partition to fill the remaining unused space.

I really don't understand why so many new users think they have to mess with partitions manually (this has been popping up a lot lately). Is there a bad guide somewhere recommending this?

You do not have to do anything. Just write the image to the card (preferably with Etcher) and boot it up (resizing is done automatically).
My thought was to have a separate partition for only data.
I'm creating a PLEX server and wanted to keep all files on a different location. From what I'm seeing it looks like I don't need to do that and can just creating a DIRECTORY for the files that makes is easy to identify. Thanks

DMauriceSr

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:08 am

klricks wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:23 am
DMauriceSr wrote:

You did not say how you plan to use or access the space?
-When Etcher is used to write an image to the SD disk, all formatting will be overwritten.
-On first boot the Linux partition will be expanded to fill the entire card and formatted to Linux ext4. There will be no 'unused partition'.
-The empty space can then be used to store files and data just as you would do with any other computer. Files can be copied over via a network share or USB thumb drive etc etc.
I used Win32DiskImager to burn the image onto card.
As I just stated looking at putting video files in the unused space.
Looks like this problem is solved by creating a Directory for the Videos.
Now need to get PLEX to recognize any of the videos. Have tried .MP4, .AVI and .MKV but nothing shows up.

bjtheone

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 pm

The key call out is file management.

As you noted, a great plan is to put all your user and application data files in a sane place, with some forethought as to structure. The only advantage a separate partition give you is that you can control the max size of file systems (ie stop a rouge user or process filling an os partition and crashing the system). It may simplify also data management but you can do that with directory structure. Also, consider that you can mount a completely separate device where ever you want in the file system, or create a link to it.

Depending on your requirements you could put the data on a separate partition, or even a separate device (USB stick or SSD). The one advantage of fully separating OS and data, is that you can swap out, update, muck up the OS without risking breaking your data. You also can easily move the data to another machine. Just creating a separate partition on the SD will not allow you to do things like reflash the OS with Etcher, since it does not respect defined partitioning on the SD. Depending on how much you care about the data, you need to consider a backup strategy as well.

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:35 pm

DMauriceSr wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 am
My thought was to have a separate partition for only data.
More trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. However, if you edit partitions, you need to update /etc/fstab and possibly /boot/cmdline.txt to reflect any changes in the PARTUUID.

For a Plex server I'd just use a USB drive for the media (thumb drive, HDD or SSD). It's not uncommon on Linux systems to have /home on a separate partition or drive, but it's also possible to just have certain folders on other mount points (Pictures, Music and Videos, for example).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”