Orange

WiringPi Download (not for Raspbian)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 am

I'd like to download wiringPi to build on Gentoo but git.drogon.net seems to be permanently down.
I see it's on Github but that page says it's not the official page and I should download it from git.drogon.net

Is it ok to download from the Github page or should I wait and see if Gordon's site comes back online eventually.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: WiringPi Download (not for Raspbian)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:49 am

Orange wrote:
I'd like to download wiringPi to build on Gentoo but git.drogon.net seems to be permanently down.
I see it's on Github but that page says it's not the official page and I should download it from git.drogon.net

Is it ok to download from the Github page or should I wait and see if Gordon's site comes back online eventually.

Thanks

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1517208
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

DougieLawson

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:49 am
Orange wrote:

Thanks

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1517208
Gordon has gone the whole hog and has blocked http://git.drogon.net so you can't pull the official source to hack around with it.
Switch to Joan's pigpio/pigpiod from http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/download.html
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:00 pm

jcyr wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:39 pm
joan wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:33 am
There is also https://www.airspayce.com/mikem/bcm2835/
A good choice. It provides finer grain control, at least for PWM, than either WiringPi or Pigpio does.
Not really. Its hardware PWM is pretty much the same as wiringPi and pigpio and is limited to the 19.2 MHz crystal and 2 channels (pigpio uses a 500 MHz clock). It offers nothing like pigpio's hardware timed PWM on all GPIO.

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm

I have not seen a single post requesting the ability to do that. What is the point?

http://abyz.me.uk/rpi/pigpio/pigs.html#HP

hippy

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Orange wrote:
It reports "git.drogon.net is temporarily unavailable" for me and Gordon did say "I will make a final release of wiringPi available soon – with the sources, but that’s that. No more public releases" so maybe he is reworking the site to support that. Might be worth trying later or keeping an eye on his site for any updates.

DougieLawson

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I found some old versions of wiringPi on github (because folks were breaking Gordon's licensing rules - which is why he's abandoned the project) which look like they're OK but old and unsupportable. (Best was v2.44 which doesn't support RPi3B+.) If you just need the basics search on Github, sort by recently updated and pick the newest version and remember when it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:14 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm
I found some old versions of wiringPi on github (because folks were breaking Gordon's licensing rules - which is why he's abandoned the project) which look like they're OK but old and unsupportable. (Best was v2.44 which doesn't support RPi3B+.) If you just need the basics search on Github, sort by recently updated and pick the newest version and remember when it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
I have version 2.50 of wiringPi on my laptop. There shouldn't be any problem hosting any published version.

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:18 pm

wiringPi has the same interface as bcm2835 as far as hardware PWM is concerned. They both allow the setting of the clock divider, range, and data settings.

Personally I don't like that model. I have seen dozens of posts asking how to set a particular frequency.

pigpio has a much simpler model. You select a frequency and dutycycle.

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm

What docs? You can set a frequency of 1 Hz.

$ pigs hp 18 1 200000
Screenshot from 2019-08-22 17-27-43.png
Screenshot from 2019-08-22 17-27-43.png (50.14 KiB) Viewed 2344 times

joan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm

You need to read the documentation for the functions you use.

davidcoton

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:06 am

jcyr wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:16 am
joan wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:54 pm
You need to read the documentation for the functions you use.
Ah, ok. hardware_PWM(...) instead of set_PWM_frequency(...)

Had to decipher your source code to figure that out.
WHY? You quoted the documentation page, and the first heading is...
int gpioHardwarePWM(unsigned gpio, unsigned PWMfreq, unsigned PWMduty)
Did you read what you quoted??? :roll: :o :lol:
Signature retired

davidcoton

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 pm

jcyr wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm
Who actually reads documentation? I generally do that only once I discover my initial assumptions were false! ;)
I've learnt to assume that my assumptions are false. :? :lol:
Signature retired

pfletch101

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:25 pm

jcyr wrote:
Who actually reads documentation? I generally do that only once I discover my initial assumptions were false! ;)
I always read through the entire documentation of a hardware device or software package once. I then generally reread the section(s) on whatever I actually plan to use. I find that enough of the complete readthrough generally sticks with me that when something apparently odd (but documented) happens and/or I need a different functionality, it 'rings a bell', and I have a better chance of figuring it out.

Also, I take a lot of trouble documenting the software I write for my clients, and it drives me crazy when I get questions which could be answered by even a cursory reading of the manual.

AdamStanislav

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:46 pm

jcyr wrote:
Depends on what the documentation is for. If it is for a software package with some standardized interface (such as GUI), perhaps many people just run it and play with it and try to figure it out.

If, on the other hand, the documentation is for a software library, I’d hope everybody would read the documentation before using it. Not doing so may result in anything from getting no results, through getting wrong results, all the way to a major system crash.

Return to “General discussion”