MisterEd

A big thanks for releasing Scratch 3.0 Offline

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:00 am

I want to thank all those involved in getting Scratch 3 Offline released for the Raspberry Pi last Friday August 16th.

Scratch 3 Desktop for Raspbian on Raspberry Pi
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/scratc ... pberry-pi/

According to the blog article Scratch 3 Offline only works with Buster. It should work on the Raspberry Pi 3B+ but because it is more demanding it is more suited to running on a Raspberry Pi 4B.

Hopefully as time goes on more and more software that is not working on the Raspberry Pi 4 will be updated and released.

BTW, if a moderator sees this...could a sticky be created that show the status of software for the Buster and the RPi 4. It is hard to keep up with what software is working and what is not. A central place to look would help with that.

hippy

Re: A big thanks for releasing Scratch 3.0 Offline

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:07 am

The Scratch 3 Desktop ran satisfactorily for me on my Pi 3B (non-plus). It only briefly peaked above 50% CPU when running a simple Scratch program and the memory requirements appeared more modest than the release announcement suggests but I never tried any complicated Scratch programs.

The Pi 4B, being faster and with more memory, should be better for running the Desktop, but it no longer appears to be a practical necessity to upgrade to a 4B to use Scratch 3 online or offline via the Desktop.

Return to “General discussion”