joosebox

minecraft-pi not launching

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:13 am

Hi. Im new to the Raspberry Pi but am trying to help my son with something. He just set up his new Pi4 and is trying to run minecraft-pi but a window just pops up and closes when he tries to run it from the GUI. When I try and run it from the command line, I get the following error...
[email protected]:~ $ minecraft-pi
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 153 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
Value in failed request: 0x383
Serial number of failed request: 137
Current serial number in output stream: 139
[email protected]:~ $

I've tried searching for this but have been unsuccessful in finding a solution so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

auretrainaud

Re: minecraft-pi not launching

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:58 pm

hi
I have also this problem but when i tape "minecraft-pi" on my terminal he tells me "* failed to add service - already in use?"
sorry for misspelling

HawaiianPi

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:36 pm

What OS, and how was it installed?

Assuming Raspbian Buster with desktop (or with desktop and recommended software), try the following.

Open a terminal and type,

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
If that finishes without error, reboot, then see if it works.

FYI:
I just installed it on my Pi 4B 4GB model with recently updated Raspbian Buster with desktop and it seems to work fine (launches and plays from the GUI menu or terminal, with no errors).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

auretrainaud

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:03 pm

this is not good :cry:

jdonald

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Welcome @auretrainaud. What appears to have happened in your case is that the wrapper script (/usr/bin/minecraft-pi) for some reason ran minecraft-pi in legacy mode even though you're running in fkms. You can try forcing it to run with Mesa:

(cd /opt/minecraft-pi && \
  LD_PRELOAD=libbcm_host.so.1.0 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=lib/mesa ./minecraft-pi)
If that workaround is sufficient, you may wish to debug the wrapper script and let us know why it's not detecting V3D. Or if this doesn't work, let's check assumptions to see if you're actually in KMS or fake KMS (check /boot/config.txt, and lsmod | grep vc4) then proceed from there.

joosebox, your problem is less clear because as HawaiianPi said minecraft-pi normally works out of the box on Buster. Have you changed the windowing system or is there anything special about your monitor? Run:

xrandr -q
to diagnose.

pi-tastic

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 pm

just tried it on my pi4 and it does nothing when i click on it.

can i download the minecraft.deb and run that on this by chance? the real version is more fun.
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

jdonald

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:56 pm
just tried it on my pi4 and it does nothing when i click on it.
What error do you see when you type minecraft-pi at the terminal? This could help match up against the two different errors other users are seeing above.
can i download the minecraft.deb and run that on this by chance? the real version is more fun.
Minecraft Java Edition for Pi looks unlikely to become a standalone deb or ppa in the near future due to its setup process tying to a user's homedir and dependency on Java 8 and OptiFine (both of which also lack debpackage installations). If it's so much more fun, it should still be worth your time to walk through one of the installation tutorials from the Gaming subforum.

Return to “General discussion”