ProjectAnon

Return or Fix bent pins.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 pm

So I recently ordered the Raspberry pi 4, 4gb ram model from Canakit. And I had been eagerly waitign for it for 10 days, till it delivered to my house. and me being the excited self (since this is my first pi ever) opened it in a veryyyyy happy mood just to see that I had multiple GPIO pins bent on my pi. Now I have 2 options, according to the person in Canakit. He suggested that I just fix the bent pins, as they will work just fine as normal, or I can do the replacemenent procedure, but that however will take quite a while for it to happen, as they would send me the return label, and then I return, they inspect and then replace. I did not expect that kind of behaviour tbh. I have paid $100 for the item, have waited quite some time for it to be available, just for me to get a broken pi delivered to me? And I haven't heard back, but according to what they said they might not even do an express delivery for the replacement pi.

I have been waititng a long time for this pi, and like I will get really busy in a few days for me to go around the return procedure. I mean if I have to I can, but should I? I mean if the pin is bent from the box, is there a chance more things might be broken as well?

I am open to suggestions on what I should do? Fix the pins myself? Or return and ask for replacement? Also isn't it their duty to send me the replacement in express delivery??

jbudd

Re: Return or Fix bent pins.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 pm

I bend gpio pins almost every time I move an add-on board from one Pi to another. I just bend them straight again. So far without any problems.

But if a brand new Pi arrives with bent pins it must have suffered rough handling in the post.
I would worry that surface mount components might have been knocked loose.

wren

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 pm

You can use an empty mechanical pencil to straighten them. I would return it for a refund and never buy from there again, but that's just me.

trejan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 pm

How bent are the pins? If they're only slightly crooked then I'd just bend it back. If they're very badly bent then I'd return it.

ejolson

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:34 am

ProjectAnon wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 pm
I am open to suggestions on what I should do? Fix the pins myself? Or return and ask for replacement? Also isn't it their duty to send me the replacement in express delivery??
Since technical support from Canakit recommended straightening the pins, then presumably doing so will not void the warrantee.

If it were my Pi, I would make an effort to straighten the pins, either with a suitable tool or my fingers. After everything looks visually satisfactory, I would then power the device to see if it works. If it works then I will feel happy for having done a good job and saved everyone (including myself) some trouble. If it doesn't work, then I would start the RMA and replacement process.

Some people won't buy a bunch of bananas unless the grocer has enclosed them in shrink wrap; others prefer their bananas without wrap. Different people are obviously happier and satisfied by different things. Raspberry Pies are no different in this respect.

Return to “General discussion”