Jawloms

Re: VMs

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I've seen dozens of the same question on here about a VM to emulate the RasPi (run an ARM OS on x86 machines) - this is not one of those......

1. Is there any VM software which will run on the RasPi which will then enable you to run x86 software on it.  I appreciate that with 256MB RAM, you'd have to be going back to something like Windows 98 for it to run, and the obvious question is "Why would you want to?".  I don't particularly, I was just curious......

2. If you have been playing with VMs to emulate the RasPi, is there a way that when it comes out to put that VM on the SD card as it's actual OS?  Conerting a Virtual Machine image to a "Real" machine

Stuart

Gert van Loo

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:46 pm

I am not sure the 700MHz ARM has enough power to run that sort of task. You are likely to end up with sub-8086 performance. (May be just enough to run the SOP game.)

Steady_Bear

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:09 pm

There is a Qemu and Dosbox port for ARM under Debian, however, as Gert says it probably won't be the best of fun.

To answer the second question, it won't be a straight dump across of a set-up in the VM to the SD card due to the way the system is booted. Other than that, I can only assume (from my experience with Linux, not with the Pi) that provided you had the correct CPU emulated etc the root FS should transfer easily enough. But, please don't quote me on that.

Jawloms

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks

Return to “General discussion”