nuzz

How fast is the Pi386?

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:37 am

I want to install wine on my raspberrypi-3. I was curious to know how fast is this Pi386 chroot environment? Is it able to use my entire CPU? Also is there an open-source software like exagear for the same?

fruitoftheloom

Re: How fast is the Pi386?

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:10 am

nuzz wrote:
I want to install wine on my raspberrypi-3. I was curious to know how fast is this Pi386 chroot environment? Is it able to use my entire CPU? Also is there an open-source software like exagear for the same?

Post in the thread so the developer will hopefully notice:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6#p1388961
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:31 am

nuzz wrote:
Simple answer: NO.
Less simple answer: Eltechs built a commercial product from dosbox and wine and other stuff (they never revealed the details) and re-engineered it to get a usable X86 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi. Eltechs then got bought out by Microsoft and Exagear disappeared completely.

They're probably working on an ARM version of Windows 11 now.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

TotalJustice

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:12 pm

You can try out box86, i've some success using it, though i've mostly tested games rather than applications so far (shovelknight, undertale etc).

https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86

nuzz

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:17 am

TotalJustice What all games have you tried? Are they the one's that require high graphics???

jdonald

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:45 am

[Box86] He just said Shovel Knight and Undertale :P

ptitSeb's post also mentions Airline Tycoon Deluxe, Not-A-Hero, Risk of Rain, Human Resource Machine, and World of Goo.
nuzz wrote:
[Pi386] Is it able to use my entire CPU?
I think it's still a limitation of Wine that multithreaded Windows apps will run only on a single core. I also doubt Exagear ever solved this, but most of these target applications aren't really multithreaded anyhow.

Generally speaking re: "how fast": Note the Pi386 package was put together with an older version of Wine, so you can hope for better performance if you put together a Wine 4.13+qemu setup today.

fd_

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:42 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:31 am
Simple answer: NO.
Less simple answer: Eltechs built a commercial product from dosbox and wine and other stuff (they never revealed the details) and re-engineered it to get a usable X86 emulator running on a Raspberry Pi. Eltechs then got bought out by Microsoft and Exagear disappeared completely.

They're probably working on an ARM version of Windows 11 now.
Where did you get the info they were bought out by Microsoft? Couldn’t find anything other than pure speculation on the matter via a Google search.

Moonmarch

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 am

I assume you mean you will use PI386 to play old PC games, based on what I know about x86 emulation on the RPI computers you will need a custom Raspbian OS image that includes QEMU with Wine this OS image should be installed on a separate SD card instead of overriding your current operating system, I would assume the operating system is overall unstable use at your own risk.

If the developers of these x86 emulator for RPI stopped updating their projects then you should ask yourself if you should continue running x86 programs on your RPI computer, I wouldn't consider x86 emulation as a reason to purchase RPI computers x86 emulation is overall still a interesting project, here's a old video about running x86 programs using Exagear:

Steam, Spotify and Unreal Tournament on Raspberry Pi | Exagear Desktop:
https://youtu.be/H8VmXCRAMXI

nuzz

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Moonmarch wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 am
I assume you mean you will use PI386 to play old PC games, based on what I know about x86 emulation on the RPI computers you will need a custom Raspbian OS image that includes QEMU with Wine this OS image should be installed on a separate SD card instead of overriding your current operating system, I would assume the operating system is overall unstable use at your own risk.

If the developers of these x86 emulator for RPI stopped updating their projects then you should ask yourself if you should continue running x86 programs on your RPI computer, I wouldn't consider x86 emulation as a reason to purchase RPI computers x86 emulation is overall still a interesting project, here's a old video about running x86 programs using Exagear:

Steam, Spotify and Unreal Tournament on Raspberry Pi | Exagear Desktop:
https://youtu.be/H8VmXCRAMXI
I want to run Microsoft word mainly

davidcoton

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:09 pm

nuzz wrote:I want to run Microsoft word mainly
Word is proprietary, paid for, x86/x64 software.
There is an open source, free, multi-platform alternative in the Debian repos -- it is even a standard component of Raspbian, IIRC.
It is file format compatible (possibly except for some obscure features that few people use). It has nearly all the functionality of Word (again, some things like PDF export of complex tables may go wrong, there are ways round that).
It's called LibreOffice Writer. Give it a try.
If you don't like it, you're out of luck until MS decide to port Word (five days after Hell freezes over). Even then Word is unlikely to be free.
Signature retired

Moonmarch

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am

Instead of using Microsoft software on a Linux OS you should instead find software that is similar to the software that is available on a different platform, if you have the intention of using office applications on the RPI computer using any compatible operating system, you should use Linux software more specifically software that runs on a ARM CPU, anyhow here are links to office applications available on Linux:

10 Best Free Office Suite for Linux:
https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-10-best-f ... for-linux/

OfficeApplication - Debian Wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/OfficeApplication

Return to “General discussion”