Mequa

Pi-themed x86 Debian Wheezy distro

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 am

I noticed the official Raspberry Pi downloads page has two very similar distros of Debian Wheezy, the ARMv6HF-optimised Raspbian and the official ARMv6EL Raspbian, featuring LXDE, Midori, Scratch, Python and other pre-loaded features. So we have the same Raspberry Pi-themed Debian/Raspbian setup for two architectures already.

This gave me the idea of creating a super-lightweight Raspberry Pi-themed Debian Wheezy distro for x86 and maybe AMD64. It could be based on the official Intel Debian Wheezy, and include the same wallpaper and software included on Pi's Debian (LXDE, Midori, Scratch, Python etc), plus the latest QEMU with ARM emulator and ability to emulate ARM Debian/Raspbian Wheezy.

Furthermore, such a Pi-flavoured super-lightweight x86 Linux distro could run from a live flash drive. This would have the advantage of bringing the Raspberry Pi Linux look-and-feel and apps to any PC, making the Pi itself more accessible to PC users, while providing a huge speed boost over emulating ARM (although that should also be an option). Of course this would also be ideal for VMs. It could also be useful in an educational environment to familiarise students with the Pi's brand of Linux.

Mequa

Re: Pi-themed x86 Debian Wheezy distro

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I found the Debian Wheezy weekly builds page, including a Wheezy with LXDE for x86 (32-bit), which is pretty close to an x86 equivalent of the R.Pi Debian/Raspbian Wheezy setup.

Return to “General discussion”