HawaiianPi

Re: Why moving to 64bit?

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:17 am

ejolson wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:28 am
... there is still the requirement that Raspbian be compatible across the entire Raspberry Pi line.
This is the biggest problem. Do you create and maintain separate images that are model specific, or do you try and roll them into one version?

Raspbian images have become popular for their simplicity (just burn-n-boot), but people get confused already with just 3 images (light, desktop and full), and NOOBS vs images only adds to the confusion. This will only get worse with more images.

I think it's time to at least get rid of NOOBS in favor of PINN so there can be a standardized installation method which works regardless of filesystem or card size (burn image to card with Etcher).

Although we might need to come up with a new name, since the acronym won't make sense when NOOBS is no longer around. :lol:

As far as images go, I'd still like to have the option, but I don't know how much more work will be required to maintain both 32 & 64 bit images.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

jerrm

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:38 am

I finally downloaded Sakaki's 64 bit image and did some testing of a rather mundane, un-sexy daily job. Pure Rasbian took 26% longer than the 64 bit config.

The test restores about 103GB of disk images from an unencrypted zbackup datastore from/to a USB3 attached SSD. This is a real world task executed daily.

115 minutes - Pure Raspbian Buster
103 minutes - 64 bit kernel / 32 bit Raspbian userland
91 minutes - 64 bit kernel / 64 bit Debian chroot

Testing was done on the same 2GB Pi4 with the same USB3 adapter and SSD, headless, no gui running. Only the SD card was swapped out between the 32bit and 64bit kernel runs. The SD cards were the same brand/model/size. The test was run 3 times for each config. Results were consistent, within 40 seconds best to worst for any particular config.

The pure Raspbian config being 26% slower than the 64/64 config was a big surprise. The job does not appear to be CPU constrained under Raspbian, the "busy core" rarely exceeding 65%, with the other three cores mostly idle. Under 64/64 the busy core approached 80% utilization. Temperature was never an issue and the CPU never throttled in any of the tests.

I fully expected 64bit to be faster, but not to this degree.

Gavinmc42

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 am

I fully expected 64bit to be faster, but not to this degree.
I welcome a new member to Sakaki's fan club :D
I'm waiting to see what she can do with the 4GB Pi4

But I think you just convinced me not to wait and upgrade to a 2GB Pi4 now.
Oh goodie, they have the case and power supply in stock too :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

pica200

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:22 am

There you have it. 64 bit does have advantages even for a few rather normal tasks (not edge cases like a few people think). You would probably see a even bigger difference if that backup would be encrypted since the AArch64 instruction set can cope better with AES ;)

hippy

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:45 pm

pica200 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:22 am
There you have it. 64 bit does have advantages even for a few rather normal tasks (not edge cases like a few people think).
Is this really a "normal task" though ?

No one has disputed that 64-bit can be faster, and for some things there will be more gains than in others, and the longer those things take the more notable the differences may be.

When what one is doing only takes a short time, performance gains are far less noticeable. A web page which takes 'no time at all' to render would seem just as fast as one which takes even less.

And likewise when one isn't particularly worried about the time taken, say one were creating a 100GB backup rather than restoring one and waiting on that completing, an extra 26% probably wouldn't even be noticed.

This is just like any other benchmarking which shows particular things are better for one thing than another, but that doesn't always or necessarily translate to being noticeably better for all one does.

Heater

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Meanwhile....

My solution to finding all the anagrams in the 650,000 odd words of the british-english-insane dictionary file supplied, as provided by Raspbian package wbritish-insane, is substantially slower on a Pi 3 running a 64 bit Debian than the 32 bit Raspbian:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust$ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real    0m1.283s
user    0m0.854s
sys     0m0.135s

[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real    0m0.921s
user    0m0.827s
sys     0m0.090s
Thus neatly contradicting all my previous statements about 64 bit Pi and conclusively proving that a 64 bit Pi is a waste of time. :)

All code here for the curious: https://github.com/ZiCog/insane-british-anagram-rust
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

hippy

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Heater wrote:
My solution to finding all the anagrams ... is substantially slower on a Pi 3 running a 64 bit Debian than the 32 bit Raspbian
I guess that goes to show that 64-bit is better if one has code which suits 64-bit but things may be worse when one doesn't.

But I would also suggest that, for many things, being somewhat slower is no more noticeable than being somewhat faster. The overall gain or loss for an individual would all depend on what they were doing.

pica200

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm not saying the opposite either that 64 bit is always better. It isn't but crypto, compression and similar things which are part of day to day use (under the hood since a lot of software uses them) sees better results. Yes, there is a disadvantage in that memory usage increases a bit because of 64 bit pointers and you can see it hurts performance a bit especially on the Pi 2 and 3 (much lower memory bandwidth) but on the Pi 4 i see no reason not to use 64 bit at least for 2 and 4 GB models. And as has been said countless times software is slowly moving to 64 bit. I would like to use Firefox for example because i trust Mozilla more than Google and Chromium is no option if Google eventually makes ad blockers unusable. Then there are emulators a few of which would surely see a benefit. And Dolphin doesn't work at all since it requires 64 bit (and has good reasons to only support 64 bit as you can read in a blog post linked earlier).

And before anyone says "if you want all of this the Pi is not for you" i have a ~5 years old Notebook with 16 GB RAM, i7 and SSD which is perfectly able to do all of it but at multiple times the power usage and heat because x86(_64) is a bloaty and inefficient crap arch. I'm actually impressed how close the Pi 4 is to this machine and the advertisement as desktop computer is justified but then it should be able to run most of the desktop software (minus commercial software which is not coming no chance). I also understand the RPiF has other priorities and i'm not getting my hopes up for an official 64 bit option any time soon but hopefully they consider it in the future. Even 64 bit kernel and 32 bit userland would be ok (since we can add a 64 bit userland easily).

Heater

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:10 pm

hippy,
I guess that goes to show that 64-bit is better if one has code which suits 64-bit but things may be worse when one doesn't.
Very true.

The dilemma for me with that anagram project is that I have over time evolved a number of different variations of that solution, using the same basic algorithm but varying in my code style.

Now one of those variants is 25% faster than the other on my 32 bits and 64 bits Pi 3. But on my x86-64 PC they are 25% different the other way around!

It's not clear to me why either one of them would be more friendly to 64 bits, or the other way around. But they are very sensitive to ARM vs Intel architecture.

In the face of all this making blanket statements about 32 vs 64 bit performance is pointless unless you know what architecture you are using as well. There are just too many variables.

jdonald

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 am

OpenMW: Looks like @TotalJustice got it running on a Pi 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSxf9afRRyo
Not sure if using an older source snapshot, ran a 64-bit OS, or just managed to make the latest 32-bit build run, but @bomblord you'll probably want to hit em up for the binaries before going through the onerous build procedure yourself.
pica200 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm
I would like to use Firefox
Firefox armhf is supported on Buster though. See installation instructions. What happened with Stretch is that we had two years of darkness due to an armhf-specific regression (AAPCS) in gcc 5. Things are hopefully going to be okay on every FF release for the next two years until Debian Bullseye (fingers crossed).

pica200

Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:58 am

jdonald wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 am
Firefox armhf is supported on Buster though. See installation instructions. What happened with Stretch is that we had two years of darkness due to an armhf-specific regression (AAPCS) in gcc 5. Things are hopefully going to be okay on every FF release for the next two years until Debian Bullseye (fingers crossed).
That seems rather "workaroundish" to me adding Ubuntu repos to Raspbian. If this was really just a
compiler bug preventing it from working we should see builds in the default repos soon?

jdonald

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 am

Debian stable has never included the firefox package. This aspect isn't an armhf vs aarch64 thing or even an x86 vs ARM thing. The Debian repositories only provide firefox-esr.

For ESR specifically, the problem of it being useless and crashing on startup (armhf only) was also there on Stretch and fixed in Buster.

By "supported" I guess I meant there's some care not to break it, but yeah Firefox proper builds are not supported on Debian.

Gavinmc42

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:08 am

Chromium and Firefox both work in Gentoo64 on the Pi3B+.
They kept swapping positions as the fastest browser over the 6+months I used them.

The latest Raspbian Buster Chromium seems to have caught up and passed them.
I expect that to change soon.

Arch, Gentoo are both distributions that are rolling, Debian is a bit less bleeding edge.
Use 32bit Raspbian Buster if you don't like experimenting or rolling OS's.
It is now a pretty good OS even on a Pi3B+.

It is probably going to take 6months before we get a choice of 64bit OS's.
Try them all and find out which is "best" for your application.

Choice is good, diversity is good.
Thank goodness MS did not take Pi's seriously else we would all be using Win10 :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jdonald

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:56 am

Got my Canakit USB-C power supply yesterday to do reliable benchmarking. I have the Rust test running, but it shows a rather different result on my Pi 4 with sakaki's Buster 64-bit kernel image:

(pi64)[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real	0m0.505s
user	0m0.428s
sys	0m0.077s

(pi32)[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real	0m0.532s
user	0m0.438s
sys	0m0.092s

[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real	0m0.539s
user	0m0.470s
sys	0m0.068s
The above three cases are Debian aarch64 chroot, Debian armhf chroot, and Raspbian armhf on the metal. It's all running on the same Pi, same SD card, in the same boot session.

There's some variation--as if something occasionally interferes even though I have lightdm turned off--but most of the time aarch64 run is 6% faster than 32-bit as shown above. For whatever reason, running with Raspbian system libraries is consistently 1% slower than the Debian armhf container.
Heater wrote:
Pi 3 running a 64 bit Debian than the 32 bit Raspbian
I'll assume this was your old Debian 64-bit Stretch setup. Edit: Wait and your Raspbian distro is Buster?

On top of different system releases it doesn't sound like a well-controlled experiment if those are two different kernels. Reminds me of a year ago somebody on reddit convincingly wrote that they got dramatic speedups with 64-bit on elliptic curve cryptography, then it turned out the author was also comparing across different distros.

pica200

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:53 am

jdonald wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 am
By "supported" I guess I meant there's some care not to break it, but yeah Firefox proper builds are not supported on Debian.
Bummer. I guess i only have these 3 options: compile myself, use the workaround or use ESR.

jdonald wrote:
The above three cases are Debian aarch64 chroot, Debian armhf chroot, and Raspbian armhf on the metal. It's all running on the same Pi, same SD card, in the same boot session.

There's some variation--as if something occasionally interferes even though I have lightdm turned off--but most of the time aarch64 run is 6% faster than 32-bit as shown above. For whatever reason, running with Raspbian system libraries is consistently 1% slower than the Debian armhf container.
Did you compile with "-march=armv8-a+crc+simd -mtune=cortex-a72 -mfloat-abi=hard" for the 32 bit builds? All the libs and everything on Raspian is built for ARMv6 which means it doesn't even use the full potential at all.

webbsmurfen

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 am

jdonald wrote:
Got my Canakit USB-C power supply yesterday to do reliable benchmarking. I have the Rust test running, but it shows a rather different result on my Pi 4 with sakaki's Buster 64-bit kernel image:

(pi64)[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real	0m0.505s
user	0m0.428s
sys	0m0.077s

(pi32)[email protected]:~/insane-british-anagram-rust $ time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt

real	0m0.532s
user	0m0.438s
sys	0m0.092s

real	0m0.539s
user	0m0.470s
sys	0m0.068s

Heater wrote:
Pi 3 running a 64 bit Debian than the 32 bit Raspbian
I'll assume this was your old Debian 64-bit Stretch setup. Edit: Wait and your Raspbian distro is Buster?

On top of different system releases it doesn't sound like a well-controlled experiment if those are two different kernels. Reminds me of a year ago somebody on reddit convincingly wrote that they got dramatic speedups with 64-bit on elliptic curve cryptography, then it turned out the author was also comparing across different distros.
Still, its to small difference for the human eye to see (if i understood the numbers correct.) We´re dealing with hundredths of a second in difference in some cases

pica200

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 am

webbsmurfen wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 am
Still, its to small difference for the human eye to see (if i understood the numbers correct.) We´re dealing with hundredths of a second in difference in some cases
You don't care for these hundreds of a second but it does add up especially since there is more running than just a single software/process which of course don't all benefit or benefit in the same way but you get the idea. It all contributes to system performance.

Heater

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 am

That's right running the anagram program as a benchmark like that is pretty hopeless. Using "time" is not a good way to do such benchmarks and the execution time is getting so small that that getting a stable result is impossible.

When first wrote that algorithm, in Javascript, it was taking about 10 seconds, we have versions in BASIC that take many minutes and even hours! So using "time" then was reasonable.

Still, having run the thing many times on 32 and 64 bit ARM and 64 bi Intel there are definitely big differences, not just a few percent. Different variants of that code perform best on different machines. I have yet to figure out what the actual differences in the code are that account for that. They are all very similar.

At the end of the day I don't care about differences of 100ths of seconds or even whole seconds running that program. It's just that it's a new language to me and I'm trying to get a feel for how to write efficient code with it. If it's a language with a future on our servers it will have to perform well.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

Heater wrote:
That's right running the anagram program as a benchmark like that is pretty hopeless. Using "time" is not a good way to do such benchmarks and the execution time is getting so small that that getting a stable result is impossible.

When first wrote that algorithm, in Javascript, it was taking about 10 seconds, we have versions in BASIC that take many minutes and even hours! So using "time" then was reasonable.

Still, having run the thing many times on 32 and 64 bit ARM and 64 bi Intel there are definitely big differences, not just a few percent. Different variants of that code perform best on different machines. I have yet to figure out what the actual differences in the code are that account for that. They are all very similar.

At the end of the day I don't care about differences of 100ths of seconds or even whole seconds running that program. It's just that it's a new language to me and I'm trying to get a feel for how to write efficient code with it. If it's a language with a future on our servers it will have to perform well.

I am ever hopeful that ARM64 Neverware Cloudready will materialise.......
Retired disgracefully.....

jdonald

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks pica200 for pointing out the ARMv6 vs ARMv7 catch. Running rustup show revealed I was using the stable-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf toolchain & corresponding target but the correct one to try here is stable-armv7-unknown-linux-gnueabihf.

Revised armv7 32-bit runtimes show a 1% difference:

real	0m0.523s
user	0m0.442s
sys	0m0.080s

real	0m0.530s
user	0m0.453s
sys	0m0.076s
pica200 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:53 am
Did you compile with "-march=armv8-a+crc+simd -mtune=cortex-a72 -mfloat-abi=hard"
Just tried adding one arg via:

export RUSTFLAGS="-C llvm-args=-mtune=cortex-a72"
But this fails miserably with a parsing error. Looks like a longstanding issue with rustc. The workaround here would be to use Rust's builder system, something like:

let mut builder = Builder::default().rust_target(RustTarget::Stable_1_0)
                    .clang_arg("-march=armv8-a+crc+simd")
                    .clang_arg("-mtune=cortex-a72");
Preferably someone more familiar with Rust (Heater) could attempt this. I believe -mfloat-abi=hard is unnecessary as that's already implied by gnueabihf.
Heater wrote:
Yeah, for small runtimes we can get large swings with all the unknowns of networking traffic or my USB keyboard interrupts. To mitigate that, here's a script to run 50 times and get a histogram:

#!/bin/bash -e

rm -f real.txt
touch real.txt

for ((i=1; i<=50; i++)); do
    { time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt; } 2>&1 | grep real >> real.txt
done
sort real.txt | uniq -c | sort -nr
That way I can always get a consistent top-ranking runtime. Unfortunately the additional script process or additional redirect seems to add 45 ms to each run, but at least the relative runtime ratios remain consistent.
Last edited by jdonald on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okenido

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I think 64 bit is mostly worth it, you get double the NEON registers, that can improve performance drastically if the software is written to take advantage of it.
However an app that is constrained by memory bandwidth limits and doing zillions of pointer manipulation will probably suffer

jerrm

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 pm

jdonald wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Yeah, for small runtimes we can get large swings with all the unknowns of networking traffic or my USB keyboard interrupts. To mitigate that, here's a script to run 50 times and get a histogram:

#!/bin/bash -e

rm -f real.txt
touch real.txt

for ((i=1; i<=50; i++)); do
    { time ./target/release/iba-3 > anagrams.txt; } 2>&1 | grep real >> real.txt
done
sort real.txt | uniq -c | sort -nr
That way I can always get a consistent top-ranking runtime. Unfortunately the additional script process or additional redirect seems to add 45 ms to each run, but at least the relative runtime ratios remain consistent.
Maybe put the loop in the rust program itself to minimize the system overhead?

jdonald

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 am

Looks like Heater is starting to port the anagrams program to cargo bench which will take care of that.

Technically there's even more overhead from the existing redirect, and that can be removed by changing > anagrams.txt to > /dev/null or giving the program a --quiet option.

For a more widely known benchmark, today I ran sysbench (sudo apt install sysbench)'s cpu test. Out of the box on Debian Buster the 64-bit version is more than 10x faster than 32-bit for that prime number sieve implementation.

It turns out that on Debian armhf, by default gcc never generates the udiv/sdiv instructions, instead resorting to a conventional slow integer division sequence. Those instructions aren't available on Cortex-A9 processors so Debian or any "armhf" Linux flavor errs on the side of compatibility.

This highlights how it's very important to generate 32-bit code with the -mcpu arg (in jahboater's comment on the first page) for these sorts of comparison experiments. -mcpu makes more significant changes compared to -mtune because it's allowed to break compatibility. Once I added -mcpu=cortex-a72, sysbench gets 10x faster in the 32-bit case to become on par with aarch64.

So even when we're really careful with our controls, it's easy to miss these things on 32-bit vs 64-bit experiments. This particular case is even more sinister than the effects of Raspbian's ARMv6 binaries. One way to describe it is that it's using ARMv7 while limiting to an instruction set for an older ARMv7!

pica200

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 pm

jdonald wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:54 am
This highlights how it's very important to generate 32-bit code with the -mcpu arg (in jahboater's comment on the first page) for these sorts of comparison experiments. -mcpu makes more significant changes compared to -mtune because it's allowed to break compatibility. Once I added -mcpu=cortex-a72, sysbench gets 10x faster in the 32-bit case to become on par with aarch64.

So even when we're really careful with our controls, it's easy to miss these things on 32-bit vs 64-bit experiments. This particular case is even more sinister than the effects of Raspbian's ARMv6 binaries. One way to describe it is that it's using ARMv7 while limiting to an instruction set for an older ARMv7!
-mcpu has been deprecated at least on x86 and other archs will probably follow in the future. -march + -mtune together are the exact same as using -mcpu. -march specifies the minimum arch the code should run under and -mtune tells gcc to optimize for a specific CPU within the range of CPUs for the arch.

For 32 bit Pi4: "-march=armv8-a+crc+simd -mtune=cortex-a72 -mfloat-abi=hard"
For 64 bit Pi4: "-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a72"

You can play with these options and make gcc output all internally set options by using "-Q --help=target".

Just wanted to correct this. I'm out again ;)

jahboater

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm

You can use

-march=native -mtune=native

Return to “General discussion”