chanfr

Kinect + raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi,
I've been working with the Kinect device the last two years and now I need for remotes kinect and I'm trying to see if it can works on the raspberry.

I've been reading about this on some topics but I have not managed to get any conlusion. I have worked with both OpenNI as OpenKinect and there are some problems on the raspberry:

1. OpenNi does not work on rapsberry with kinect but it works with X-tion, isnt it?
- I've installed the openni 1.5.4 and also de avin2driver for kinect but I'm getting always the same error:
The device is not connected!
So it seems that is a problem with the driver, I tried to recompile the avin2driver but nothing.

2. OpenKinects seems to work at leats the tilt motor, I've seen some videos working so this in promising.
- I cant make it work, I tried with a tiltdemo.cpp (http://jonmacey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ ... inect.html) but the raspberri also cannot detect the kinect:

Number of devices found: 0
could not open device error

Have any of you are working on the same thing and I can help? Any idea where to keep looking?

Thanks in advance and congratulations for this great forum.

PD: I will try to make work and X-tion that we are going to buy so I will give you some feedback on the following days.

Limmy

Re: Kinect + raspberry Pi

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi i try too, but i have followed this post http://wiki.labomedia.org/index.php/Ins ... sous_linux

when i luanch glview, freenect found my device but after i have a error like :
OpenGl GLX extension not supported by display

So if you try too tell me if it's worked ;)

bmwesting

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 pm

The freenect library provides a demo for the Kinect called glview. The glview program will not work with the Pi because the program is written using OpenGL. The Raspberry Pi only supports GLES through EGL.

It seems like you will be able to use libfreenect to grab the depth stream and rgb stream, but will be unable to run the demo program because it uses the incorrect graphics API.

Thanks,
Brandt

kpcamota

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

so Kinect + raspberry pi won't work in depth and video stream?

aristizabal95

Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:25 am

Freenect works for me on the rpi 3B. I was able to run the glview example enabling opengl someway.. I can't find the workaround but I can say for sure it works.

I have not been able to get openni+nite to run, but I'll keep trying.

There is however a problem with the rpi and the kinect: kinect requires a USB3.0 port to stream all packets. Since rpi has USB2.0, the bandwidth is not enough to stream all data. This makes the depth stream laggy

Return to “General discussion”