Dazzathedrummer

Alternative to Open Media Vault?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi,

I've been using OMV for maybe three years now. I have an RPi 3 hooked up to a 2TB external drive plugged into ethernet.

I've found it to be really unreliable from a view point of basic functionality. Whenever I try to connect to transfer files from or to the OMV Pi, I get all sorts of connection issues and have to re-boot OMV pretty much every time.
I've got it set up for NFS, AFP, FTP, Rsync - I've checked all the settings but most of the time it wont connect unless I reboot.
The latest issue is that it now thinks that all of the shares are read-only - a quick google of the problem reveals the usual confusion and head scratching that'll probably take me a week to get through.

On the other hand I've got a WD MyBook Live that I've had for seven years (it's fully backed up to CrashPlan!) that never gives me a problem.

Anyway....my question is....
On the basis that I use the OMV Pi for file NAS storage and for running Plex...is there an alternative that functions as reliably as a an off the shelf NAS that will also run Plex??

laurent

Re: Alternative to Open Media Vault?

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi,
I've been using OMV on another SBC with an external hard drive, since a couple of years now, and I never encountered any reliability issues so far.
The SBC is a Rock64 (because it has an USB3 link and a real Ethernet Gbps controller at the time I took it), and the external drive is a WD 3,5" 4TB drive.
A important point with hard drive connected to a linux device is the filesystem used. You must absolutely avoid NTFS if you want performance and reliability. If your drive was NTFS formatted, try Ext4, XFS or whatever well supported.
Check also your µSD card and power supply, they're critical for system stability.

LTolledo

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:38 pm

...just plain ol' reliable samba for me...., whether NTFS, EXT4, FAT32.... no problems once set properly....

whether RPi models, Rock64, NanoPiNeo, other SBCs its always samba for me...

did tried omv before....never liked it..... seemed much harder to set than just plain samba.... and broadcast unwanted whatchamacallits..... so I "flushed it down the sewer."...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

hortimech

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:33 pm

I tried OMV and had problems with it, which I traced down to OMV itself, so I asked for help on their forum. They were absolutely sure it was a Samba problem, which I assured them it wasn't, they responded that it was and to ask for help on the Samba mailing. My response to this was, sorry, but I am one of the Samba team and it would like talking to myself by asking on the Samba mailing and that the problem was definitely an OMV one, I just got abuse after that. I very quickly removed OMV and just used Samba instead.

I could be wrong, but the OMV team don't like anyone telling them there is a problem with their product.

Dazzathedrummer

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 pm

hortimech wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:33 pm

I could be wrong, but the OMV team don't like anyone telling them there is a problem with their product.
I had the same problem with Plex. The container they’d written stored the database files on the SD card in a partition that you couldn’t resize.
I brought it up on the forum and was told it was a Plex problem....so I headed over to the Plex forum and was sent back again as they have nothing to do with how Plex works on a Pi.
After a lot of complaining about it and achieving nothing, there was an OMV update and the problem mysteriously went away!

I get the impression that the happy OMV users don't mind spending all day tweaking code to get it to run - I just want something that works without having to go under the bonnet.

Dazzathedrummer

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 am

Just going back to this...

I found this...https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/se ... ex-server/

...that shows you how to install Plex on a Raspbian desktop.

Presumably I could then also set up folders on my HDD as samba shares to give me what I’m looking for....a Plex server and NAS drive?

frits183

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 am

That looks good :roll:

I will give it a try to

:D

ejolson

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:00 am

Dazzathedrummer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 am
Just going back to this...

I found this...https://www.ionos.co.uk/digitalguide/se ... ex-server/

...that shows you how to install Plex on a Raspbian desktop.

Presumably I could then also set up folders on my HDD as samba shares to give me what I’m looking for....a Plex server and NAS drive?
Those instructions look reasonable except where they suggest setting a fixed IP address using an ip= option. I could be wrong, but I suspect that's only correct in the authors limited test environment and likely to cause trouble elsewhere.

Return to “General discussion”