skyeg3

New project - advice needed for pi hat

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:48 am

Looking for advice on a new project of mine. I want to make a hat that live streams video over wifi back to me on my desktop computer. I have a pi 4 right now that I have successfully installed a camera on and joined a jitsi meet call but it still has all the keyboard, screen, and power wires attached. I want to make this thing as easy to use as possible. I'd like it to be so you just unplug the charger and it starts streaming video to a predetermined video meeting url. The wifi network its on will always be the same. I'm planning on setting up the pi 4 headless and using a pi supply as the battery. Does all this sound doable? What are some problems I'm likely to run into? Advice wanted.

Andyroo

Re: New project - advice needed for pi hat

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:30 am

Not sure why you need a HAT to do that...

The streaming program could be set up to auto start, run at the touch of a button connected to a GPIO pin or maybe from a signal from the Pi Juice HAT?

Main concern I have is the Pi, video and WiFi are power hogs and the battery may not last long - play around with https://learn.pi-supply.com/battery-levels/ and feed the Pi 4 figures in (they only go up to a 3B).

Also there are threads on the forum about smaller distros (though not for the Pi 4 yet) and removing programs that are not needed - these may save power.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am

skyeg3 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:48 am
Looking for advice on a new project of mine. I want to make a hat that live streams video over wifi back to me on my desktop computer. I have a pi 4 right now that I have successfully installed a camera on and joined a jitsi meet call but it still has all the keyboard, screen, and power wires attached. I want to make this thing as easy to use as possible. I'd like it to be so you just unplug the charger and it starts streaming video to a predetermined video meeting url. The wifi network its on will always be the same. I'm planning on setting up the pi 4 headless and using a pi supply as the battery. Does all this sound doable? What are some problems I'm likely to run into? Advice wanted.

Taking your question at face value:

See the blog post that introduced HAT technology -
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introd ... y-pi-hats/

which contains a link to the full HAT specification: https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats

Knowing what problems you are likely to run into, assuming this is really what you need to implement, surely depends on your prior knowledge and experience? For me, it would be the correct configuration of the EEPROM and the Device Tree, but YMMV.

skyeg3

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 am

I think there is some confusion. I literally want to make a hat... like for your head haha. Something I can give to someone and say keep this on power then when you want so stream with me just put it on.

Return to “General discussion”