Orange

SOLVED - This file seems to be an executable script

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:00 am

The one thing that's been really annoying me since trying to use my Pi 4 as a desktop machine is Shortcuts.
Why are they so hard to create (well, easy when you know you have to do it in Terminal and can't do it from the desktop!), and when you finally manage to create a valid one why does it always say:
This text file 'My Shortcut' seems to be an executable script. What do you want to do with it?
I've Googled this a few times and people tell you to go and set execute permissions on your scripts etc but nothing was working for me.
But the solution is really simple, if only it wasn't so hard to find.

All you have to do is open the File Manager (click the double yellow folder in the top bar), then select:

Edit -> Preferences -> General

and tick the box that says "Don't ask options on launch executable file".

Now you'll never see that annoying pop-up again!

powl

Re: SOLVED - This file seems to be an executable script

Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi, I just ran into the same problem with Raspbian Buster. But doesn't seem to be a checkbox saying "Don't ask options on launch executable file". Maybe it got removed in this Linux version. But how can I resolve this issue otherwise?

klricks

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 pm

powl wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:09 pm
Hi, I just ran into the same problem with Raspbian Buster. But doesn't seem to be a checkbox saying "Don't ask options on launch executable file". Maybe it got removed in this Linux version. But how can I resolve this issue otherwise?
That checkbox is still present on my RPi. PCManFM 1.3.1
[Edit] --> [Preferences] --> [General]

I think you also have to uncheck this:
[Edit] --> [Preferences] --> [Advanced]........ [ ] Use Application Startup Notify by default
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

powl

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm

Hm.. I'm using a very small screen but it doesn't seem that the file properties window is cropped because the Cancle and OK button is still there. Or is there something hidden beneath?
b.png
b.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 614 times

NimbUx

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 pm

powl wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm
Hm.. I'm using a very small screen but it doesn't seem that the file properties window is cropped because the Cancle and OK button is still there. Or is there something hidden beneath?
I think you have accessed the wrong window ! You want to open a "pcmanfm" (your file manager) window, then the cascading menu : "Edit", "Options", "General" . The check-box you need will be conspicuous there. (note: I have it all configured for a foreign language, so the labels might be slightly inaccurate, e.g., "options" may read as "preferences". But you should find your way. HTH)

powl

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:33 pm

Ahhh now I got it! I thought you have to adjust the setting for every single executable file on the Desktop! Now it works, thank you! :D

Return to “General discussion”