RodDoggyDog

can I remove the browser but still use scratch

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:03 am

Hi - I'm interested in Raspberry Pi so my kids can learn to code. But if I give them a Pi that has a web browser on it they will just go watch youtube. If I uninstall the web browser will Scratch still work? Will the learning resources still be available to them? Preferably Scratch 3....

gkaiseril

Re: can I remove the browser but still use scratch

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:11 pm

It should not cause a problem. I would make a backup of the system and remove the web browser and see what happens.

Or you might consider creating a user for each child and remove them from the "netdev" and "dialout" groups. This would prevent those users form accessing the internet.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

mattmiller

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Scratch 3 runs through the browser so removing browser will remove ability to use Scratch 3

The original Scratch and Scratch 2 do not need a browser to run

hippy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:27 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:59 pm
Scratch 3 runs through the browser so removing browser will remove ability to use Scratch 3
There is Scratch Desktop, off-line Scratch 3, which runs on Windows standalone and should therefore allow the browser to removed.

A Scratch Desktop for Linux is said to be planned but there's no real indication of when it will arrive.

DavidS

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:19 pm

The Scratch that I am familiar with does not use a Web Browser at all, so it should be no trouble. I will admit that I have not looked at Scratch on Linux at all (not my Operating System of Choise), so something may be different there.

Just remove Midori, Chromium, and Netsurf from the default Raspbian (noting that all three are normally installed by default, and it is easy enough to run them from the command prompt).

You could also just not connect the RPi's for that purpose to the internet at all (get models without WiFi, and do not hook an ethernet cable to them).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”