HankB

Support window for Raspbian Stretch?

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm

I did some googling and did not find an answer. My Google-fu seems not up to this search.

I have a WiFi dongle that does not work on Buster so I wonder how long I can stay on Stretch and expect security updates.

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Support window for Raspbian Stretch?

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 pm

HankB wrote:
I did some googling and did not find an answer. My Google-fu seems not up to this search.

I have a WiFi dongle that does not work on Buster so I wonder how long I can stay on Stretch and expect security updates.

Thanks!

RaspbianStretch will receive security updates for as long as Debian Stretch ARMHF is Debian Officially Supported.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

The Raspberry Pi Foundation / Raspberry Pi Trading are not part of the Long Term Support Community, so basically around Easter next year.........
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:37 pm

And in the mean time, you can search for and/or ask for help getting your dongle working under Buster. (It's probably a driver issue.)

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
And in the mean time, you can search for and/or ask for help getting your dongle working under Buster. (It's probably a driver issue.)

He has already asked:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=246587

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:

He has already asked:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=246587
And he got an answer...which he rejected. He said he runs his Pis headless....he didn't say they were inaccessible.

chwe

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:22 pm
And he got an answer...which he rejected. He said he runs his Pis headless....he didn't say they were inaccessible.
really? I don't see a rejection in it.. Obviously if his assumption that the driver get's updated with every kernelupdate is correct, headless boards connected over wifi (otherwise he wouldn't care much about it) will be inaccessible after the reboot.. and then bring back all those devices, means unmount them from their position (I guess they are not reachable by a ethernet cable, otherwise he wouldn't care about wifi) hock them up with a cable just to fix the wifi again is a painful job (or setup and hock a UART and bring somehow the wifi driver back).. Everything under the assumption that a kernelupdate breaks the wifi driver, which is actually the question in this without a question-mark. :D

(bolt added by me)
HankB wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm
Hi MrEngman. Thank you for the help.

The implication of this is that if the kernel is upgraded, then I need to update the drivers as well (until this is fixed.) Is that correct? That is a non-starter for headless systems which is how i operate most of my Pis.
HankB wrote:
the google fu can be enhanced if you look for previous drops, e.g. when and why did wheezy got dropped.. :P
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 42#p918173
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8#p1157637

so basically I wouldn't count much on the support for stretch from the RPT side.. They're soon to busy to maintain buster cause keep 4b users happy.. :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:01 am

chwe wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 pm
really? I don't see a rejection in it.. Obviously if his assumption that the driver get's updated with every kernelupdate is correct, headless boards connected over wifi (otherwise he wouldn't care much about it) will be inaccessible after the reboot.. and then bring back all those devices, means unmount them from their position (I guess they are not reachable by a ethernet cable, otherwise he wouldn't care about wifi) hock them up with a cable just to fix the wifi again is a painful job (or setup and hock a UART and bring somehow the wifi driver back).. Everything under the assumption that a kernelupdate breaks the wifi driver, which is actually the question in this without a question-mark. :D
You obviously read his remarks differently than I did. My reading is reinforced by the very existence of this thread.

Even so, one wouldn't have to remove the Pis from their locations. Just remove the SD card, put it in a Pi with wired access, update it, update the driver (if needed) and then return the card to the headless Pi.

HankB

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:48 am

Hi folks,
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I appreciate the discussion.
Even so, one wouldn't have to remove the Pis from their locations. Just remove the SD card, put it in a Pi with wired access, update it, update the driver (if needed) and then return the card to the headless Pi.
I've got severel of these in use and they are operating just fine on Stretch. I don't care to have to go through this process if I don't have to and as long as Stretch is supported, I don't have to.
I appreciate the solution offered and if I had a system on which I wanted to run Buster and had no choice but to use one of these adapters, I would use do that.
In the mean time I have filed a bug report and hope that this will be fixed.

best,
hank

NB: Have you ever had your fingernail slip off a spring loaded micro-SD card and marvel at how far it can fly? I have.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 am

HankB wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:48 am
I've got severel of these in use and they are operating just fine on Stretch. I don't care to have to go through this process if I don't have to and as long as Stretch is supported, I don't have to.
Even when Stretch is no longer supported there is nothing compelling you to change. You won't get any security updates or bug fixes, but going without support is up to you.
I appreciate the solution offered and if I had a system on which I wanted to run Buster and had no choice but to use one of these adapters, I would use do that.
No choice? Really? You can't buy and use a different dongle?
NB: Have you ever had your fingernail slip off a spring loaded micro-SD card and marvel at how far it can fly? I have.
I think there is one under the rack that holds my some of my PCs, printer, and network gear.

HankB

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 am

Thank you for your suggestions. Though I disagree with your choices, I much prefer your reply to no reply.
I got the answer I was looking for (e.g. when Bullseye is released as stable) and cannot add anything more to the conversation.

best,
hank

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:53 am

None of the packages in archive.raspberrypi.org repo have any level of support for previous releases.

raspbian.raspberrypi.org should follow Debian.

Moonmarch

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 am

According to the Debian website, Debian Jessie should receive security updates until June 2020 if that is true then Debian Stretch should be supported for several more years, don't know about the Raspbian version of Stretch here is a link to the website:

LTS/Using - Debian Wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using

Instead of purchasing wifi adapters for every RPI computer which can cost over $10 each unless you purchase the cheap brands, how about using a wifi extender instead, all of the RPI computers released after RPI3 have built in wifi then link all of the RPI computers to the wifi extender network, you can consider upgrading to the latest RPI computers which can be the RPI3/RPI4 series computers, and these computers are overall faster.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 am

Moonmarch wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:38 am
According to the Debian website, Debian Jessie should receive security updates until June 2020 if that is true then Debian Stretch should be supported for several more years, don't know about the Raspbian version of Stretch here is a link to the website:

LTS/Using - Debian Wiki:
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using

Instead of purchasing wifi adapters for every RPI computer which can cost over $10 each unless you purchase the cheap brands, how about using a wifi extender instead, all of the RPI computers released after RPI3 have built in wifi then link all of the RPI computers to the wifi extender network, you can consider upgrading to the latest RPI computers which can be the RPI3/RPI4 series computers, and these computers are overall faster.

As stated above LTS is Community Supported, therefore your assumptions are wrong as the RPF / RPT do not belong to the LTS Community.

Return to “General discussion”