hawkinsw2005

Raspbian + 4.19.y

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm sorry to have to ask such a silly question. I am new to the Raspberry Pi community. I have attempted to get an answer using all other "normal" means but if I've missed an obvious answer, I apologize!

I have a pi4 running Raspbian and I am trying to run the Linux 4.19.y kernel. I understand that it is currently in development (they are taking patches on the github page).

My questions are

1. How often does the project make releases from those branches (ie, the 4.19.a, 4.19.b, ...)?
2. How do I upgrade the kernel I am running (4.19.58-v7l) to use those releases when they are made?

From what I can tell of the community from reading through these message boards you are all very kind and helpful -- thank you for making such a welcoming community!

Will

epoch1970

Re: Raspbian + 4.19.y

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:11 am

On Pi4 I understand you run Raspbian Buster on kernel 4.19 already.
Apt-get upgrade takes care of everything and pulls released kernel and firmware packages if needed in addition to the other software.
The update/release cycles for firmware, kernel, software are separate.
Just use apt-get
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 am

hawkinsw2005 wrote:
I'm sorry to have to ask such a silly question. I am new to the Raspberry Pi community. I have attempted to get an answer using all other "normal" means but if I've missed an obvious answer, I apologize!

I have a pi4 running Raspbian and I am trying to run the Linux 4.19.y kernel. I understand that it is currently in development (they are taking patches on the github page).

My questions are

1. How often does the project make releases from those branches (ie, the 4.19.a, 4.19.b, ...)?
2. How do I upgrade the kernel I am running (4.19.58-v7l) to use those releases when they are made?

From what I can tell of the community from reading through these message boards you are all very kind and helpful -- thank you for making such a welcoming community!

Will

When the Raspberry Pi Foundation / Raspberry Pi Trading release a stable kernel / firmware it will be offered via an update:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

If you want a Testing Kernel / Firmware it is installable via:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
Retired disgracefully.....

epoch1970

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:25 am

Make sure to read that part of the doc about the unreleased development kernel:
Note that the latest kernel from rpi-update is not guaranteed to work correctly! Make sure that it doesn't conflict with your distribution packages. It doesn't provide a way of automatically uninstalling the files.
Don’t use rpi-update if you don’t know what you’re doing.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:26 am

hawkinsw2005 wrote:
The Linux kernel is permanently "in development" because it has to change for new hardware (4K HDMI), it has to change for bug and security fixes, it has to change for new software techniques (for example, H265 to support 4K HDMI). There'll be a whole bunch of new features in the Linux 5.x.x kernel.

Your RPi4B won't run on an earlier kernel (because it didn't include the new hardware support) and Raspbian's current "stable" kernel is 4.19.57 (with some, significant, RPi4B fixes that are only in 4.19.58).

Just get https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest write that to an SDCard with Balena Etcher, boot it then keep calm and carry on.

You've got to be a hard-core hacker to experiment with anything else.

BTW, rpi-update isn't installed by default on Buster to discourage the soft-core hackers from breaking their systems.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

davidcoton

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:04 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Just use apt-get
Better, as fruitoftheloom says, to use:
fruitoftheloom wrote: sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
"apt" is optimised for command-line use, while "apt-get" has maintained backwards compatibility to avoid breaking shell scripts. While the differences are minor, one recent example was how to cope when the release status of the Buster repositories changed. AIUI, "apt"would just ask a question (Y/n answer), while "apt-get" required an extra (obscure) option on the command line.
Signature retired

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am

davidcoton wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:04 am
epoch1970 wrote:
Just use apt-get
Better, as fruitoftheloom says, to use:
fruitoftheloom wrote: sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
"apt" is optimised for command-line use, while "apt-get" has maintained backwards compatibility to avoid breaking shell scripts. While the differences are minor, one recent example was how to cope when the release status of the Buster repositories changed. AIUI, "apt"would just ask a question (Y/n answer), while "apt-get" required an extra (obscure) option on the command line.

I always use APT in Linux Debian based Distros:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... are/apt.md
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “General discussion”