Anshul333

Best OS for raspberry pi as a everyday desktop?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

Hello, I have bought a raspberry pi 3 B+ but I am not sure about which OS to choose.
I want to use it for basic everyday tasks like web browsing, YouTube and a bit of C++ and python.
Which OS would be good?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Best OS for raspberry pi as a everyday desktop?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 am

Raspbian. No question. The most update to date, best bug fixed, best featured, and the only one fully supported by Raspberry Pi themselves.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

LTolledo

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:15 pm

just another user here....
every desktop you ask?
here're my an old "snapshot" of my Raspbian Stretch desktop for your reference
myRPi3B+Desktop.jpg
myRPi3B+Desktop.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
oh and I always watch youtube on this RPi3B+ desktop of mine (just finished about 2hours worth for todays schedule)

try it! and you will see... get the latest "Raspbian Buster with Desktop and recommended software" image file and burn it to a microSD (better if SSD) using Balena Etcher

on the other hand....better take jamesh advice! (and not mine)... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

pagenotfound

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:07 pm

jamesh wrote:
Raspbian. No question. The most update to date, best bug fixed, best featured, and the only one fully supported by Raspberry Pi themselves.
Raspbian is the overall best choice, but "most update to date" applies mostly to drivers etc. When it comes to applications, not so much. You should have used the Debian party line: "most stable".

clicky

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Raspbian is definitively the best choice...

But please don't confuse OS with Windows Manager (and Session Manager) under X...

Lxde (that's default Raspbian's Windows Manager, right?) is small and well supported in Raspberry Pi community (out of box setup, software and generally - help) but is not the only one. Others might be slightly less supported, more memory/CPU/GPU hungry but provide more flashy things and customisation. And potentially less stable. :roll: The latest RPi with 4GB of ram and fast I/O (SSD or such on USB3) can transform old RPi desktop into modern eye-candy with transparencies, soft shadows, window effects and such - all working at decent speed.

rpdom

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 pm

clicky wrote:

But please don't confuse OS with Windows Manager (and Session Manager) under X...

Lxde (that's default Raspbian's Windows Manager, right?)
openbox is the Windows Manager. lxde is the Desktop Environment.

Please don't confuse the Windows Manager with the Desktop Environment ;-)

jamesh

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

pagenotfound wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:07 pm
jamesh wrote:
Raspbian is the overall best choice, but "most update to date" applies mostly to drivers etc. When it comes to applications, not so much. You should have used the Debian party line: "most stable".
Sorry, I always talk about kernel stuff when I talk about up to date. Stable is certainly a better term when talking about applications.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Musketeer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:08 pm

IMO definitely still not Risc OS, community is just like Amiga OS: great in its time, but now 15 years of forum talks how to write USB, WI-Fi and multithreading, ... But YMMV definitely!
Linux is like woman - both wants 180 % of your time...
You want speed Java 9.8x? Throw it out of some Window(s)!
My girlfriend is terribly unmature - she always sinks my boats in bathtub!

DavidS

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Anshul333 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am
Hello, I have bought a raspberry pi 3 B+ but I am not sure about which OS to choose.
I want to use it for basic everyday tasks like web browsing, YouTube and a bit of C++ and python.
Which OS would be good?
Most probably the OS of choice for you would be GNU/Linux.

The question of which distrobution is another thing altogether. Raspbian is always a good option for the Raspberry Pi.

Before making any recommendations on what Linux Distrobutions might be good for you:
  • What Operating Systems, and distrobutions are you most familiar with using?
  • What model of Rasbperry Pi are you using?
  • Is there any that you are adverse to?
The answers to those can help to point towards something that is more similar to what you are familiar with and will run well on your Raspberry Pi.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Musketeer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Precisely! There are today people who thinks that Zero has more then enough RAM and CPU power! No joke. Whatever floats your boat mate!

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Musketeer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Precisely! There are today people who thinks that Zero has more then enough RAM and CPU power! No joke. Whatever floats your boat mate!
There are uses for the Pi0 for which it is anywhere from excellent to adequate. If the usage is more demanding than that, there are many more capable Pis to choose from.

Musketeer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm

+ Family gets MUUUUCH bigger last days...

clicky

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:53 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 pm
clicky wrote:

Lxde (that's default Raspbian's Windows Manager, right?)
openbox is the Windows Manager. lxde is the Desktop Environment.

Please don't confuse the Windows Manager with the Desktop Environment ;-)
:+1: my bad... Desktop Environment (and windows managers...)

Moonmarch

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:16 am

You can always start with Raspbian which is based on Debian, Raspbian has all of the features you would expect to see on a usual operating system, email client, internet browser, programming applications, video player, office applications, etc., all the software you download with the "sudo apt install" command is from the Debian.org website, if you are not interested in using Raspbian there are several operating systems that are compatible with the RPI computer, here is a website that lists operating systems that are compatible with the RPI computer:

10 Operating Systems You Can Run on Raspberry Pi in 2019:
https://www.fossmint.com/operating-syst ... pberry-pi/

rpdom

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 am

Moonmarch wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:16 am
all the software you download with the "sudo apt install" command is from the Debian.org website
All Raspbian software is downloaded from the raspberrypi.org website. The original source code for most of it may be on debian.org, but the recompiled code isn't.

For the Pi 2 and above with Raspbian you can get away with using most armhf software from debian.org, but there are some Pi specific tweaks and extras that are only available from the raspberrypi.org.

The Pi 1 and 0 have to use software from raspberrypi.org. Much of the software from debian.org will not work on them as the CPU version (ARMv6) is not supported in Debian.

bls

Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Agree that Raspbian is the best OS for the Pi.

As far as the desktop, I prefer icewm, a fully-functional window manager that runs on every Linux distro that I've tried over the past 10+ years. I have the exact same desktop configuration on Raspbian and on my OpenSuse Linux server, It's frugal on system resources, which I especially like, and comes with a nice set of themes.

It's great for all day, every day .

Moonmarch

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 am

Every time I search for software to use in Raspbian I always search the Debian website and I did not run into any problems, I did find the Raspbian repository though, do you need to access the website to download files I would say no, because there is no website design the website is intended to be a archive to host all of these recompiled files.

The Debian website is where you should start searching for software even though you are not downloading directly from the website, because when I search for software I always searched for "software name" "Debian" on Google which then leads me to the Debian website then I type the name of the software in the terminal to install the package using the sudo apt install "software name" command which will download files from the Raspbian archives as explained by rpdom.

jahboater

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 am

Try also

apt-cache search xxxx

Musketeer

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am

On many blogs is good advice too: "Recommended soft for your raspberry".

Moonmarch

Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 am

Actually there are a large number of approaches to searching for software to install on Raspbian, you can use synaptic, aptitude, pi-packages, I use the Debian website to search for software, because the website is less difficult to search for software, the Debian website recommends which software to download, when you search for software more than one version of the software can be available to download, and you will need a certain version of the software to be on the safe side, download all of the needed dependencies.

Return to “General discussion”