jrstewart512

Raspberry Pi 4 B won't boot from SD card

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi, I am having a problem with booting up my new Raspberry Pi 4. I am using a preformatted NOOBs SD card (16GB integral) that I got with a previous purchase of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. The SD card was never used with that Pi, and I thought there would be no problems booting the Pi 4B from that SD card. However, when I give power to the Pi, the Green ACT LED lights only for a moment before going dark. There is no output on the HDMI either, so I assumed the problem was the initial boot process was failing. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 B won't boot from SD card

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:41 pm

That won't work - the firmware files on the old NOOBS card will not have any Pi4 support.

Following the reflashing instructions here, and all should be well.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

iriereggaeman

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Same problem here, buy I'm quite sure my issue was self inflicted, as I believe I shorted 5.0 VDC Power with 3.3 VDC power. :x

I read all the points in the Boot Problems Sticky, but since my multi-meter fails to get any reading from the 3.3 VDC pin after my boo-boo, I'm pretty sure I killed it.

I have a number of hours invested in setting up my OS and environment. What's the likelihood of ordering another Pi 3B+, swapping out my previously working MicroSD card, and return to a working environment? I guess my question is whether I could have also fried the SD card.

Thanks in advance!

IrieReggaeMan

rpdom

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 am

iriereggaeman wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Same problem here, buy I'm quite sure my issue was self inflicted, as I believe I shorted 5.0 VDC Power with 3.3 VDC power. :x
This is not the same problem as you said you are using a Pi 3B+, while this thread is about the 4B.

Yes, shorting the power pins will kill your 3B+. The SD card is probably OK and will just need the automatic file system check when you put it in a new Pi 3B+.
Unreadable squiggle

kevington

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:35 am

I had this problem. Then saw four raspberry icons on edge of screen, but screen otherwise dim. Got another power adapter (5 volts @ 2.5 amps) and plugged it into the HDMI LCD display - with the PI 4B powered by a 5v 3 Amp adapter. Problem solved!

Now trying to put the display into landscape mode. The fun is just killing me.

talmud

Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi,

I've purchased a Pi4 B+ just two days ago... at first attempt it worked using the SD card given; then i tried to mount LIBRELEC with another SD card. It started but then a video output said that the image was corrupted and to wait 2 minutes or shut down the Pi. I preferred the second option but after that the Pi didn't boot neither with the first SD card.
The ACT led doesn't blink so i tried to download the image to restore the raspberry but it didn't work; i also checked the sticky tutorial but none of the tips worked.
I'm not an expert and i really don't know what else to do... thank you!

liluglykimberly

brand new Raspberry Pi 4 B won't boot from SD card

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 pm

I am at a loss here. I bought this kit brand new from Canakit and the initial boot seemed to be working when I used the noobs preinstalled card that came with it. I am using the power source that came with it, I am using the first HDMI outlet next to the power source (hdmi0). However, once I selected the OS the item acted like it was booting then the screen went blank and I can not get it to do anything. I have spent hours learning how to fat format a new sd card, downloading images from the raspberry site as instructed, hours attempting to get the image on to the SD card, and reinstalling it into the PI and nothing works. Not a single thing will get me past a black screen and the pi light stays red. The green will initially flash on but stops. I do not know what I am missing or getting wrong here. Can someone please help?

Return to “General discussion”