Updated version of the pi zero

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am

Will there be a update to the raspberry pi zero hardware

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Updated version of the pi zero

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:47 am

RPF(T) never announce new product releases in advance.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

echmain

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:51 am

techskies11 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am
Will there be a update to the raspberry pi zero hardware
It has already been updated twice.

First the camera connector was added then the wireless module.

A version with a pre soldered header strip was also made available.

Andyroo

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Given the cost of the current board how do you expect it to be upgraded?

The poor engineers must almost sell their first born (or body parts) to squeeze every fraction of a penny to hit the current price point as it is.

More memory, faster processor or WiFi / Ethernet would significantly raise the price and you end up with a low power machine costing more than the Zero W with a difference in cost so small to the older boards that I do not think there would be a market for them.

If you are that desperate - come up with a kickstarter / crowd sourced idea that funds it and approach both the Trading / Foundation legal team AND CPC to have a few (5 I think) thousand made for sake. Of course you would want to maintain compatibility with the Pi so you have the user base or it’s just another SBC in a crowded market.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:30 pm

This keeps coming up and the explanation for why it hasn't happened is really pretty simple.

In order to do an "upgrade" (by which one presumes a CPU upgrade, probably to be 64-bit capable), a couple of criteria would have to be met. The first is finding a cheap enough SoC that is compatible with other Pi SoCs. The second constraint is that it has to be of a size and packaging that it will work with PoP RAM modules. Until those two all-important criteria are met, all discussion of upgrades to the Pi0/Pi0W are moot, and especially any discussion about what features could or could not be added.

Now if some "angel" with bucket loads of money suddenly decided to spend several million dollars to have Broadcom develop and put into production an SoC that meets those criteria (and whatever else Dr. Upton thinks would be beneficial) and can be mass produced for no more than the BCM2835, then all bets are off. Do I see any volunteers to do that?

Return to “General discussion”