MisterEd

When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

I see that some people have gotten their Pi 4s rather quickly. I suspect that a lot of these people are in the U.K. What about those of us that are in the U.S. Has anyone gotten there's yet?

I ordered the Raspberry 4 4GB Starter Kit from CanaKit on June 24th. It was was not supposed to ship until August 1st. Today CanaKit informed me that I should get the order by July 20th. Note I had paid for expedited (2-3 business day) shipping.

klricks

Re: When are people in the U.S. getting their Pi 4s?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:25 pm

I ordered a desktop kit from PiShop.us and was told around Aug. 15th
Today I got an email stating:
....All orders containing 1Gb and 2Gb boards and kits will be shipped on Friday or Monday the latest.

The 4GB version of the Pi 4 board is finally arriving at our warehouse on Monday, and we expect to ship 4GB Starter and Budget Kits early next wek.

We are also expecting a small batch of Desktop Kits mid next week. We will start shipping orders containing Desktop Kits in the order they were placed (olderst first).....
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

echmain

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 pm

I walked into my local Microcenter and bought a Pi 4/4gb (plus power supply) the day after its debut.

They still have plenty of 1gb and 2gb models.

wren

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:15 pm

Last month from Microcenter.

Quicksilver

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:47 pm

Same here, walked into microcenter and picked one up.

Biggen

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 am

Ordered 4GB model last week from Pihut and got it past Tuesday to Florida.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:08 am

MisterEd wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm
I see that some people have gotten their Pi 4s rather quickly. I suspect that a lot of these people are in the U.K. What about those of us that are in the U.S. Has anyone gotten there's yet?

I ordered the Raspberry 4 4GB Starter Kit from CanaKit on June 24th. It was was not supposed to ship until August 1st. Today CanaKit informed me that I should get the order by July 20th. Note I had paid for expedited (2-3 business day) shipping.
I received a Pi4B1 and a Pi4B4 yesterday. Granted, I ordered one from Pimoroni and the other from Pi Hut...but I got them and I'm in the US. As to when the US suppliers will get supplies...my crystal ball is out of order.

My current problem is that, while I have 2 Pi4B boards, I don't have a PSU or even an adapter. (As an interim I've ordered a couple of microB to C adapters from Monoprice. Rather more expensive that the official ones, but as a stop gap, they'll do. When the official ones get in stocked I'll order a bunch of them.)

MisterEd

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:12 am

It looks like for some people they got the boards but not all the accessories they need.

For the people that got the boards were you able to get the correct power supply (i.e USB-C and 3.0A)?

Are most people just buying the boards and making their own boot media after downloading Raspbian Buster?

Unfortunately most of us don't live near a Micro Center. The nearest one to me is 3 hours away.
Unfortunately Micro Center will not let you buy the RPi4 on their online store. They are available at the stores only.

BTW, someone is trying to scalp the 4GB version on Amazon for $200. No takers after a couple days. I doubt he will find a buyer at that price.

binaryhermit

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:24 am

My order from Canakit isn't supposed to ship until August 1.
Though the reports I'm seeing regarding other resellers give me hope, maybe.
If not, though, I knew what I was signing up for when I bought it lol

EDIT: Although the kit I bought now says ships July 11 on the order page, hopefully that applies to prior orders too. It'd be a not very nice thing to do if it didn't.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:13 am

MisterEd wrote:
Unfortunately most of us don't live near a Micro Center. The nearest one to me is 3 hours away.
Lucky you. The nearest to me would be a 8 to 10 hour drive.
Unfortunately Micro Center will not let you buy the RPi4 on their online store. They are available at the stores only.
So they're doing that nonsense again.

MisterEd

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:53 am

binaryhermit wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:24 am
My order from Canakit isn't supposed to ship until August 1.
Though the reports I'm seeing regarding other resellers give me hope, maybe.
If not, though, I knew what I was signing up for when I bought it lol

EDIT: Although the kit I bought now says ships July 11 on the order page, hopefully that applies to prior orders too. It'd be a not very nice thing to do if it didn't.
I see the ship date has changed from August 1st to July 11. The orders will be shipped by order date. My order should be shipped no later than that that since I placed my order on June 24th.

BTW, The email I received on July 4th from CanaKit said I would receive the order by July 20th. That would make sense if I selected Regular shipping. However, I selected Expedited shipping. Hopefully, that means I should get it by July 15th at the latest.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 am

Biggen wrote:
Did you have to pay VAT?

When I tried to order from the PiHut the price was nearly US $70 for the 4GB board only, which must include the extra tax they impose over there. That should be removed for orders from the USA, but I went almost all the way through the order process and the price did not change, so I didn't submit it (Pimoroni removes the VAT early in the order process, but they had no 4GB models).

I tried contacting PiHut about that, but they never replied.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Biggen

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 am
Biggen wrote:
Did you have to pay VAT?

When I tried to order from the PiHut the price was nearly US $70 for the 4GB board only, which must include the extra tax they impose over there. That should be removed for orders from the USA, but I went almost all the way through the order process and the price did not change, so I didn't submit it (Pimoroni removes the VAT early in the order process, but they had no 4GB models).

I tried contacting PiHut about that, but they never replied.
I don’t remember seeing VAT on the invoice but it was more expensive than others. I figured they jacked the price due to demand.

alphanumeric

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:43 am

I'm in Canada eh, I ordered from Pimoroni, I buy a lot of stuff there. I had to do the notify me option to snag a 4 gig 4B. I waited a few days for it to ship but mine is on its way. I should have it next week some time. I cheaped out on the shipping so it will be a week to 10 days before I get it. I'm fine with that though, it was my choice. I don't get charged the VAT on my orders from them. Its hit or miss whether I pay the GST when it arrives. Sometimes I get dinged for it other times I don't. If I order from Adafruit I can pre pay the duty and not have to do a second transaction when it arrives.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Bureaucracy is half the "fun" with the USA.

Goods are not allowed into the USA without FCC certification. The FCC allow you to not go public with your certification until launch day to avoid leaks, but that is not good enough to allow the goods into the country - they have to be held in bonded warehouses until the certification is public. US distributors therefore can't get the boards until a day or two after launch, and then they have to deal with sending them on out.
In the UK and EU boards were generally in the hands of the distributors before launch.

Rest assured that boards are being shipped to the USA, and they will be shipping them on to end customers.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

gtechn

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:10 pm

I'm in the US, and I bought the 4GB version about 14 hours or so after launch on Newark Element14. Shipping July 5 (today).

I bought the official case and power supply from Chicago Electric Distributors. They have already arrived.

UDPATE: Turns out that element14 does not have stock and will not have stock until SEPTEMBER. And that the July 5 ship date will keep moving (automatically) until September. If you have an order which keeps getting postponed, you may want to look elsewhere.
Last edited by gtechn on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MisterEd

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Update for people getting their Pis from CanaKit...

The ship dates for some items have changed as July 9, 2019.

For example the ship date for the RPi4 4GB Starter Kit has slipped from July 11 to July 15.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 pm

MisterEd wrote:
Are most people just buying the boards and making their own boot media after downloading Raspbian Buster?
I've always done it that way. It's a way to be sure that you have the current release (pre-loaded SD cards are notorious for being out of date, *especially* when a new board has just come out). And--indeed--given the SD interface upgrade, for the first time I've ordered (and received) A1 class SD cards for the Pi4Bs.

sfong

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm

If this article is true (and it seems to be confirmed by Raspberry) you might want to consider an early purchase of the Pi 4:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07 ... -chargers/

:o :o

jcyr

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Ordered 1G and 4G Pi4 on day of announcement from CanaKit in Vancouver. As of today, both have arrived.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

jamesh

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:03 pm

sfong wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:21 pm
If this article is true (and it seems to be confirmed by Raspberry) you might want to consider an early purchase of the Pi 4:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07 ... -chargers/

:o :o
Why? Just use a power supply that works! Like the incredibly cheap official one. Or use a cheap cable!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

alphanumeric

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I would have said inexpensive instead of cheap ;) . I bought what I know works and was tested to work on a Pi 4, like the official one was. Not all that hard to do.

jamesh

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
I would have said inexpensive instead of cheap ;) . I bought what I know works and was tested to work on a Pi 4, like the official one was. Not all that hard to do.
Inexpensive is a much better word!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

davidcoton

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:54 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 pm
alphanumeric wrote:
Inexpensive is a much better word!
Assuming ASCII:
"cheap" 5 bytes
"inexpensive" 11 bytes
so "inexpensive" is twice the price of "cheap" :lol:
Signature retired

chipace

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Adafruit. I ordered the same day the RPi4 was announced. It shipped the next day. They sell out quick, but they have always had stock when a new RPi version has been announced. I don't live near a Microcenter.

Return to “General discussion”