FeepingCreature

Re: Toolchain

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 pm

A couple of dev-related questions?

What are the appropriate flags for gcc-configure (--target), gcc, as (-meabi) to build code that will be binary-compatible to the eventual default image for the RazPi?

Are the Broadcom GLES drivers API-compatible with MESA compiled for GLES/EGL?

Is there any chance you could make a "queue up for shell access to an actual razpi" thread, so we can test our programs before the release hits?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:59 pm

I used the following when doing some basic benchmarking -O3 -mfloat-abi=softfp And yes, I think the API to the GL libraries is the same as MESA. It's designed to be a drop in replacement for the software renderer. 
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

FeepingCreature

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks. Related question. I have this GLES test code: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/537361/

When I compile it for x86 (Mesa/i965), it renders a red window as expected. When I attempt to run it in qemu, it just renders a white window. Any idea what the problem could be?

spennig

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Perhaps qemu does not emulate the necessary 3d hardware?

richard77

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

JamesH said:

I used the following when doing some basic benchmarking -O3 -mfloat-abi=softfp And yes, I think the API to the GL libraries is the same as MESA. It's designed to be a drop in replacement for the software renderer.

I use gentoo, which is a source based distribution, and the documentation discourage to use -O3 since it can produce not working binaries and it tends to give bigger code, reducing cache efficiency , so often the code is actually slower compared to -O2. On processors with small cache, -Os gives better performances. Anyway, I plan to get on R-Pi, probably at the second batch and I hope to install Gentoo on it and will test and report.

jamesh

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 pm

On the tests I was doing it did help quite a bit, but it will depend - the  programs I tested were pretty small anyway. All the binaries worked anyway!

There was another setting I failed to use when I was doing my builds that made things a lot faster, and I appears not to have noted it down - sorry.

-mcpu=arm1176jzf-s

might help as well.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”