dickon

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 am

At this point, frankly, I think he's trolling...

webbsmurfen

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:56 pm

The problem I have with the power-supply from official Raspberry PI or OKdo is the cable itself. I know its cheap to buy a new one, but its something in me that shrugs at the idea to throw away a whole working power-supply, because somewhere in the cable there is a gap. Its a waste of resources. IF The Raspberry foundation ever makes a power-supply that have a cable that you can replace Im the first in line to buy one

dickon

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

The official PSUs use a much, much heavier gauge wire than a regular USB (data) cable, because all they're doing is supplying power. The space usually taken up with data lines is used to bulk up the power lines instead. Means they're all pretty robust, and suffer less voltage drop over the cable. I haven't had one fail yet.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 pm

webbsmurfen wrote:
IF The Raspberry foundation ever makes a power-supply that have a cable that you can replace Im the first in line to buy one
Additional connectors cause losses (and the possibility to use a crappy cable). As the post above said, the power wires in the official PSU are much thicker and stronger than the thin wires found in most USB cables. You would have to seriously abuse one to get it to break.

While there does seem to be some logic to your attitude, in reality you are avoiding a good product for a non-issue. Replaceable cables are far more likely to cause trouble than the robust fixed cable in the official power supply.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

rpdom

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:44 pm

dickon wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm
The official PSUs use a much, much heavier gauge wire than a regular USB (data) cable, because all they're doing is supplying power. The space usually taken up with data lines is used to bulk up the power lines instead. Means they're all pretty robust, and suffer less voltage drop over the cable. I haven't had one fail yet.
Also, because they are simple cables, if they do break they are easier to splice together without major losses.

kflmiami420

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:24 pm

usb-c.jpg
usb-c.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 221 times

davidcoton

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:39 pm

webbsmurfen wrote:
The problem I have with the power-supply from official Raspberry PI or OKdo is the cable itself.
In addition to everything in the replies above, with an attached cable the design can compensate for cable losses, indeed it must do so because the USB spec must be met at the plug. If the PSU has a socket, then there is no simple way (and no requirement) to compensate for cable losses, so the PSU will deliver a less well specified voltage to the Pi.
Signature retired

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:39 pm
webbsmurfen wrote:
The problem I have with the power-supply from official Raspberry PI or OKdo is the cable itself.
In addition to everything in the replies above, with an attached cable the design can compensate for cable losses, indeed it must do so because the USB spec must be met at the plug. If the PSU has a socket, then there is no simple way (and no requirement) to compensate for cable losses, so the PSU will deliver a less well specified voltage to the Pi.
The only plausible solution for when the cable isn't fixed to the PSU would be market an "official" cable as being power only and with heavy conductors.

Return to “General discussion”