ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:34 am

Can I use this
DX07P024AJ1R1500
male connector with the Raspberry pi 4 model B Female USB type C (Power supply USB). Please provide a suggestion for me.

scorpia
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:33 am

The connector you have there looks like it is compatible with the pi as it is a full featured type C plug.

However given your question I think that this is probably not the connector you need, this connector is designed to be mounted on a paddle board style pcb as part of a cable assembly or directly attached USB device. If you want to create a custom power cable then you might have better luck looking for a connector with a paddle board pre attached, modifying an existing USB-C cable, or powering the pi through the GPIO pins.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11019
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 am

Perhaps if you were to say what exactly you have in mind, people could give you some actual advice.

ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:34 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 am
Perhaps if you were to say what exactly you have in mind, people could give you some actual advice.
I have an idea of using my own power supply board for the PI 4 , for that I have a problem in choosing the right Male Type C connector .So , I need some good suggestion.

dickon
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm
Location: Home, just outside Reading

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:11 pm

a: don't, b: back-power via the GPIO header.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 4206
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Whether you find a USB-C connector, or opt for applying powervia the GPIO connector, note that the Pi4B no longer has a polyfuse on board. Consider the fault conditions and make sure that your PSU cannot exceed 3A and 5V25 into the Pi. Consider providing a polyfuse to ensure the supply fails safe, and to protect you against inadvertent supply reversal (it will happen). Use thick enough wires (18AWG).
Signature retired

ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 am

davidcoton wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 pm
Whether you find a USB-C connector, or opt for applying powervia the GPIO connector, note that the Pi4B no longer has a polyfuse on board. Consider the fault conditions and make sure that your PSU cannot exceed 3A and 5V25 into the Pi. Consider providing a polyfuse to ensure the supply fails safe, and to protect you against inadvertent supply reversal (it will happen). Use thick enough wires (18AWG).
Yes I need the exact USB type C male connector, that is to be interfaced with the Female USB Type C Connector which is already available in the Pi4 .

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:17 am

USB-C is very complicated. If you have to ask such questions, you shouldn't be messing with it.

USB 2.0 was simple, +5V, Ground and 2 data lines.

USB-C has 24 connectors and multiple power wires. The Pi4 USB-C is really a USB 2.0 port, but you'll need to know which of those 24 connections are used. There is no specific Raspberry Pi connector, any USB-C plug will work if you know how to wire it.

Study up on USB-C and take a look at the Raspberry Pi 4B reduced schematic and you'll have all the info you need (if not, then buy the official power supply).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 am

I need a help.. I need the exact footprint and symbol of
632712000011
.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am

Step one:
buy USB-C cable, commercial one.

Step two:
cut cable

Step three:
Identify which of the dozens of wires inside are 5v, ground and possibly D+, D- if you plan to use gadget mode.

Step four:
clumsily attempt to connect the wires to your power supply

Step five:
fail miserably and just take the previous, more sane advice - power the Pi via the GPIO header, 5v pin/s and ground, or potentially the PoE header, if it can be leveraged for such use.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 6067
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am
... - power the Pi via the GPIO header, 5v pin/s and ground, or potentially the PoE header, if it can be leveraged for such use.
The PoE header doesn't carry 5v - it takes power from the ethernet socket and passes it to the PoE HAT, which then powers the Pi through the GPIO header.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:20 am

Burngate wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am
... - power the Pi via the GPIO header, 5v pin/s and ground, or potentially the PoE header, if it can be leveraged for such use.
The PoE header doesn't carry 5v - it takes power from the ethernet socket and passes it to the PoE HAT, which then powers the Pi through the GPIO header.
Ah right, I misunderstood what those four pins did.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jbudd
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:23 am

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:23 am

ARCHANA R wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 am
I need a help.. I need the exact footprint and symbol of
632712000011
.
https://katalog.we-online.de/em/datashe ... 000011.pdf

Seems quite comprehensive.

First result in a search with duckduckgo.
You should try it.

hippy
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:25 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:00 am
Step three:
Identify which of the dozens of wires inside are 5v, ground and possibly D+, D- if you plan to use gadget mode.

Step five:
fail miserably and just take the previous, more sane advice - power the Pi via the GPIO header, 5v pin/s and ground
If one takes a USB-A to USB-C cable there will often be just four wires which will be correctly colour coded or can be fairly easily be determined from the USB-A end.

There is no good reason one should fail miserably or using GPIO instead is more sane.

ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm

jbudd wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:23 am
ARCHANA R wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:02 am
I need a help.. I need the exact footprint and symbol of
632712000011
.
https://katalog.we-online.de/em/datashe ... 000011.pdf

Seems quite comprehensive.

First result in a search with duckduckgo.
You should try it.
I seems hard to design and I am a beginner . So , I need the ready footprint and symbols...

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 am

ARCHANA R wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm
I seems hard to design and I am a beginner ...
This is exactly why you shouldn't be doing this. Just buy the official power supply!


If you want help doing this yourself, then tell us what are you trying to use as a power supply?

Rather than trying to cobble together a USB-C cable, connect your power supply to the +5V and Ground pins on the GPIO expansion header. Connect +5V from your power supply to both 5V pins and use 2 grounds (4 wires) to ensure the Pi4 will get the power it needs.

IF YOU CONNECT IT WRONG YOU WILL KILL YOUR PI4!
pi3_gpio.jpg
pi3_gpio.jpg (88.86 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

wildfire
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 am
IF YOU CONNECT IT WRONG YOU WILL KILL YOUR PI4!
I don't know where you got that diagram from but someone should point out to the creator that there is only 1 pin 37.

Pedantic I know but it's small errors like that which could kill Pi's and any other electronics.


Image corrected.
Last edited by wildfire on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

hippy
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm

That image with pin 38 incorrectly labelled as 37 is 'everywhere' -

https://www.google.com/search?sa=G&tbm= ... 00&bih=506

wildfire
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:42 pm

hippy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm
That image with pin 38 incorrectly labelled as 37 is 'everywhere' -
As I said hippy, pedantic. However being colour blind I have to pay particular attention to pin numbering. Imagine what could happen if Pin 1 & Pin 2 were both marked as Pin 1?
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:09 pm

wildfire wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:08 pm
I don't know where you got that diagram from but someone should point out to the creator that there is only 1 pin 37.
Thanks for catching that. Picture replaced.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

andrum99
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:17 am
USB-C is very complicated. If you have to ask such questions, you shouldn't be messing with it.

USB 2.0 was simple, +5V, Ground and 2 data lines.

USB-C has 24 connectors and multiple power wires. The Pi4 USB-C is really a USB 2.0 port, but you'll need to know which of those 24 connections are used. There is no specific Raspberry Pi connector, any USB-C plug will work if you know how to wire it.

Study up on USB-C and take a look at the Raspberry Pi 4B reduced schematic and you'll have all the info you need (if not, then buy the official power supply).
There's nothing in the spec for USB-C that says it has to be used for USB 3.x.

ARCHANA R
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 am
ARCHANA R wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm
I seems hard to design and I am a beginner ...
This is exactly why you shouldn't be doing this. Just buy the official power supply!


If you want help doing this yourself, then tell us what are you trying to use as a power supply?

Rather than trying to cobble together a USB-C cable, connect your power supply to the +5V and Ground pins on the GPIO expansion header. Connect +5V from your power supply to both 5V pins and use 2 grounds (4 wires) to ensure the Pi4 will get the power it needs.

IF YOU CONNECT IT WRONG YOU WILL KILL YOUR PI4!
pi3_gpio.jpg
I want to design my own power supply for the Pi 4 model B which should have a USB Type C Plug at its end. What is the exact USB Type C Female type used in the Pi 4. Whether USB 2.0 or some other generation. I will be very easy if the exact part number used is shared.

User avatar
lpsw
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm
Location: USA

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:35 am

Designing a safe, reliable, and on-spec power supply is not trivial, especially for a beginner. IMHO, beyond the scope of this forum.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2913
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 am

The question is pointless, as ANY male USB-C connector that complies to the USB Type C spec should work.
The exact model used in the power supply is irrelevant, you don't require to use that particular part.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4793
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Power Supply - Type C of Pi 4 model B

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 am
The question is pointless, as ANY male USB-C connector that complies to the USB Type C spec should work.
The exact model used in the power supply is irrelevant, you don't require to use that particular part.
I think the OP assumes the exact part number will spell it out (put this wire here and that wire there), instead of having the same cryptic connector labelling found in all other USB-C documentation.

ARCHANA R,
Pi4 schematic is here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... educed.pdf (power connection at upper-left).
USB-C pinouts can be easily found with any search engine. If you need more than that, you are in over your head.

Why is it so important that you build your own power supply? What are you trying to accomplish?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”