pi-man-uk1
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 pm

pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got my Pi4 on back-order so can test this myself when I get it. In the meantime anyone tried this/ considered it/ have a view?

My firm runs citrix and it's great, we can sit anywhere, remote working etc, love it. The software on the client is called "citrix receiver".

In the office we currently have mini PCs on the back of each display, overkill surely if a Pi4 replace them?

Seems like it could be a massive win - but am I missing something?

Thanks

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20485
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm

pi-man-uk1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm
Hi Guys,

I've got my Pi4 on back-order so can test this myself when I get it. In the meantime anyone tried this/ considered it/ have a view?

My firm runs citrix and it's great, we can sit anywhere, remote working etc, love it. The software on the client is called "citrix receiver".

In the office we currently have mini PCs on the back of each display, overkill surely if a Pi4 replace them?

Seems like it could be a massive win - but am I missing something?

Thanks

Why not Google you are about 3 years late ??

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/05/24 ... -ready-pi/

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/11/30 ... d-helping/

etcetera etcetera. ......
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23366
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm
pi-man-uk1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm
Hi Guys,

I've got my Pi4 on back-order so can test this myself when I get it. In the meantime anyone tried this/ considered it/ have a view?

My firm runs citrix and it's great, we can sit anywhere, remote working etc, love it. The software on the client is called "citrix receiver".

In the office we currently have mini PCs on the back of each display, overkill surely if a Pi4 replace them?

Seems like it could be a massive win - but am I missing something?

Thanks

Why not Google you are about 3 years late ??

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/05/24 ... -ready-pi/

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/11/30 ... d-helping/

etcetera etcetera. ......
A little politeness goes a long way...try it sometime.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20485
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:51 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm
pi-man-uk1 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm
Hi Guys,

I've got my Pi4 on back-order so can test this myself when I get it. In the meantime anyone tried this/ considered it/ have a view?

My firm runs citrix and it's great, we can sit anywhere, remote working etc, love it. The software on the client is called "citrix receiver".

In the office we currently have mini PCs on the back of each display, overkill surely if a Pi4 replace them?

Seems like it could be a massive win - but am I missing something?

Thanks

Why not Google you are about 3 years late ??

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/05/24 ... -ready-pi/

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2018/11/30 ... d-helping/

etcetera etcetera. ......
A little politeness goes a long way...try it sometime.

Yes quite so, sincere apologies :oops: :oops:
Retired disgracefully.....

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 pm

I am not sure you got an answer to your question in the end. I have been using the raspberry pi as a thin client with Citrix since pi 2 and it works pretty good. Saved my company a lot of money instead of buying expensive terminals from HP. with the Pi 4 comes a much better option for my company as it allows 2 screens and now we will be going fully with raspberry pi now. below are instructions on what I have installed and how. I am a novice so please don't expect me to know a lot but I do like mucking around with this. I have it working with 2 screens for citrix and its nice and fast.

Download and install Raspbian Buster Lite
Sudo passwd root (change your root password)
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get install xfe (it’s a better file manager)
Sudo apt-get install xfce4 (Gui interface)
Sudo dpkg -i (install all dependencies in order from list below)
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
Sudo dpkg -i icaclient_13.10.0.2-_armhf.deb (download from citrix)




Dependencies:

libicu52
libxerces
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
libaspell
emacsen-common
dictionaries-common
myspell
libhunspell
ispell
hunspell
aspell
aspell-en
libenchant
libhyphen
libwebpdemux
libbrotli1
libwoff
libgstreamer
libharfbuzz
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

hingus2000
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi all

My company uses Citrix for remote access and it would be brilliant if I could rely on my RP4 as a thin client for occasional backup use.

Installing Citrix Workspace was not easy, but I got there in the end (various dependency issues which I had to follow online instructions to get through).

Unfortunately, Citrix does not seem to be working well at all for me, despite reports that the RP4 should be more than capable.

The issue is quite specific: the session only seems to refresh when I click my mouse. If I do nothing, nothing happens. Each time I click the mouse, it moves the session forward to where I would expect it to be. If I click the mouse repeatedly and quickly, it starts to resemble a normal Citrix session, but clearly this is not a sustainable solution!

If any has any thoughts as to what the issue might be, I'd love to solve it.

Thanks

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:29 pm

We have 2x pi 4 that we have been working on and testing and they seem to work fine. if you are interested below is a link to download my image and test and see if it does the same thing. root password is rpitc


https://www.dropbox.com/s/****censored for safety****


Thanks

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35805
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Are you seriously suggesting that Hingus downloads an unsigned OS version that can't be checked as genuine from some random poster on an Internet forum.

If Hingus does that he/she is breaking every rule in the mandatory Security 101 lecture and risks compromising the Raspberry and any/every machine connected on the same subnet. If someone did that on a network I own they'd be clearing their desk and getting a P45 in a brown envelope for gross misconduct.

Note: This may not apply to Raspberries connected to NASA's network.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:51 am

Very true with security. just trying to help. How do you go about signing an image? I am still new to working on Linux and I have managed to get this working after a few days with instructions I posted earlier.

Thanks,

Zeck
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

I can confirm that a Raspbian Buster install with Citrix Receiver does work. However, I have only done this on a single Pi 4 at this time, in a testing environment. I used a full Raspbian Buster install with desktop in this case.

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:32 pm

I have fully tested with buster lite/xfce4 and citrix workspace now and have it in a production environment with 2 screens. My company is very excited about the cheaper option that works just as well as an HP terminal that we have been using. Its been fun working on this project and I expect that with the raspberry pi 4 they will fully update the depositories in the near future.

petersja
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi clareandlloyd,
I just also tried to get Citrix Workspace app running and it is complaining about libxerces missing. Where did you get a matching version that you can install on Buster? In your steps below you unfortunately do not explain where you got the packages for the dependencies from? Did you use them from the old Stretch image?

Br

Joerg

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Sorry, I spent most of the time getting my dependencies from https://packages.debian.org. Funny enough I went back and downloaded all of them again to start from scratch but could not find the libwebpdemux again. I have copies of these but from the comment from another forum person its not good to share just in case of viruses and such. I agree but do like to help and that is why I tried to share at the beginning. if you need some help please let me know.

clareandlloyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: pi4 as a thin client (citrix receiver)

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 pm

One other point. I installed Citrix receiver client 13.10.0.2 with those dependencies and then I installed citrix workspace client 19.3.0.5 because the new workspace app is not working yet. hope that helps.

Return to “General discussion”