User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 am

hello I wanted some advice on which heatsinks to buy for my new rpi4 with 4 gigs of ram, as I saw that those used for rpi3 do not respect the measures of the new board (cpu + ram) thanks :roll:

gennaro
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10381
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:31 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jahboater
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 am

There is no "official" heat sink.

I like this one:-

https://thepihut.com/products/al-heat-s ... 30-30-10mm

Its actually heavier than the Pimoroni one and has proper 3M-8810 thermal tape.

See also the aluminium cases from FLIRC and KODI.

User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:31 am
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... 4-heatsink
or get a 35x35mm one from anywhere
many thanks
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:11 pm

jahboater wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 am
There is no "official" heat sink.

I like this one:-

https://thepihut.com/products/al-heat-s ... 30-30-10mm

Its actually heavier than the Pimoroni one and has proper 3M-8810 thermal tape.

See also the aluminium cases from FLIRC and KODI.
but isn't it small for rpi4? I mean to use it on the cpu or on the ram that on the new rpi4 is rectangular in size :roll:
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

Raspberry Paul
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Pimoroni were saying their heat sinks only drop the CPU temp by 2 degrees.

I'm using their FanShim and it's dropped the temp by 30 degrees. Low profile and quiet.
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fan-shim
http://www.raspberrypaul.co.uk

Gomoto
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm

I dont bother what kind of tape my heatsink has got. As soon as I put it on my Pi 4 I burned my finger ;)
Heat transfer is obviously very good :twisted:

jahboater
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Gomoto wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm
I dont bother what kind of tape my heatsink has got. As soon as I put it on my Pi 4 I burned my finger ;)
Heat transfer is obviously very good :twisted:
In the past some Pi heat sinks came with tape that was an insulator :(

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14804
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm

I haven't got any heatsink or fan on my caseless (no cases available at the time) Pi 4B.

Running apt-get dist-upgrade took it up to 100% on one cpu core for several minutes and it hit 64°C in ambient 21°C. Gently waving a smallish piece of card over it to get a slight airflow reduced that to 54°C and when idle it went down to 46°C.

wren
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:55 pm

This is the only set I've seen specifically for the Pi4.
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-heat-sinks.html

User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:24 pm

wren wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:55 pm
This is the only set I've seen specifically for the Pi4.
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-heat-sinks.html
many thanks ;)
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

User avatar
hardwaremack-orginal
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:33 pm

the official case should come with a small fan / vents in case.... and a HS.....

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm

rpdom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm
I haven't got any heatsink or fan on my caseless (no cases available at the time) Pi 4B.

Running apt-get dist-upgrade took it up to 100% on one cpu core for several minutes and it hit 64°C in ambient 21°C. Gently waving a smallish piece of card over it to get a slight airflow reduced that to 54°C and when idle it went down to 46°C.
Thats the lowest temperature I've seen reported for a PI4b so far, even Jamesh claims his Pi runs at 55 degrees with the additional use of the POE hat fan, up to 80 degrees without the fan.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14804
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm
Thats the lowest temperature I've seen reported for a PI4b so far, even Jamesh claims his Pi runs at 55 degrees with the additional use of the POE hat fan, up to 80 degrees without the fan.
Hey, what can I say. I'm just the coolest :-)

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3471
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm

FWIW: you can describe how good a heatsink is with the thermal resistance measured in degrees C per watt (or K/W but Centigrade and Kelvin degrees are the same size). This means thinking of the heat flow from the source (inside the SoC chip) to ambient air just like an electrical current passing through a series of resistors, where each resistor has a voltage drop across it corresponding to a temperature difference (delta-T) through each part eg. from chip to package, package to heatsink, and heatsink to air. Unless you have bad or no thermal paste/tape, by *far* the largest thermal resistance in the chain is the last one, from the fins on the surface of the heatsink to the air, so that determines the entire performance. If you have perfectly still air, it is a very good insulator and even a large heatsink is nearly useless (at least for a steady-state thermal load). Fortunately heat causes convection and there will be some air motion even inside a closed case- but not very much! A bigger case helps, an open/vented case is better, a heatsink built into or extending through the case is better yet, and of course a fan for forced air best of all.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23083
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm
rpdom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:47 pm
I haven't got any heatsink or fan on my caseless (no cases available at the time) Pi 4B.

Running apt-get dist-upgrade took it up to 100% on one cpu core for several minutes and it hit 64°C in ambient 21°C. Gently waving a smallish piece of card over it to get a slight airflow reduced that to 54°C and when idle it went down to 46°C.
Thats the lowest temperature I've seen reported for a PI4b so far, even Jamesh claims his Pi runs at 55 degrees with the additional use of the POE hat fan, up to 80 degrees without the fan.
Up to 85 under load. Think it was actually 45-55 with the PoE HAT depending on load.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ejolson
Posts: 3268
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 am

gennargiu wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 am
hello I wanted some advice on which heatsinks to buy for my new rpi4 with 4 gigs of ram, as I saw that those used for rpi3 do not respect the measures of the new board (cpu + ram) thanks :roll:

gennaro
I suggested in this post that an official heatsink be developed for the Pi 3B+ last year. At that time people also suggested that official holes in the official case would also help. I think many people would purchase an official heatsink, especially if it had a distinctive raspberry design. Currently, the closest thing to an official thermal management solution is the built-in fan on the power-over-Ethernet hat.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:39 am

Just about anyway seems to help.
Heatsink only, fan only or both.
Even sideways mounting helps.
The amount of cooling required seems to be quite small to drop 10-15 degrees.
Enclosing in a case makes it go up as that reduces air circulation.

What is the smallest fan/heatsink combo available?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:31 am
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/rasp ... 4-heatsink
or get a 35x35mm one from anywhere
I ordered the pimoroni heatsink, I wanted to ask you before using it, looking from the photo on the manufacturer's website I see that the same cannot cover all the part concerning the raspberry pi 4 ram, can this cause rpi4 problems? And another thing always seeing from the photo as it is highlighted the heatsink does not create problems to the connection placed on the left side? thank you for your possible answers

gennaro
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

jahboater
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:17 am

gennargiu wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:39 am
I ordered the pimoroni heatsink, I wanted to ask you before using it, looking from the photo on the manufacturer's website I see that the same cannot cover all the part concerning the raspberry pi 4 ram, can this cause rpi4 problems? And another thing always seeing from the photo as it is highlighted the heatsink does not create problems to the connection placed on the left side? thank you for your possible answers
The top of SoC heat spreader is higher than the memory and the rf shield. Your Pimoroni heat sink will cover them, but not cool them. That's one reason why I chose the smaller PiHut heat sink (which is also heavier and has taller fins).

jahboater
Posts: 4595
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:19 am

jbeale wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Fortunately heat causes convection and there will be some air motion even inside a closed case- but not very much! A bigger case helps, an open/vented case is better, a heatsink built into or extending through the case is better yet, and of course a fan for forced air best of all.
I have found with all Pi's that the best convection cooling is with the Pi board on edge. The same is true if a heat sink is fitted, but of course the fins should be aligned with the airflow. That is vertically.

ejolson
Posts: 3268
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:23 pm

jahboater wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:19 am
jbeale wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Fortunately heat causes convection and there will be some air motion even inside a closed case- but not very much! A bigger case helps, an open/vented case is better, a heatsink built into or extending through the case is better yet, and of course a fan for forced air best of all.
I have found with all Pi's that the best convection cooling is with the Pi board on edge. The same is true if a heat sink is fitted, but of course the fins should be aligned with the airflow. That is vertically.
I find it interesting that a heatsink intended for passive use optimally has a different design than one originally intended to be used with a fan. A picture of such a heatsink and explanation of its design may be found at the end of this page.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:49 am

Wonder if we can get some nice red anodised raspberry shaped heatsinks?
Stick a safety pin on the back and we have Raspberry Pi badge for the swag shop?
Earring Pi heatsinks?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

chipace
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:56 am
Location: brown paper bag in a septic tank

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:47 am

I'm using Adafruit's 15x15x15mm heatsink.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3082

Using this method (a53 with 4 processes):
https://core-electronics.com.au/tutoria ... ry-pi.html

[email protected]:~ $ while true; do vcgencmd measure_clock arm; vcgencmd measure_temp; sleep 10; done& stress -c 4 -t 100s
[1] 1507
stress: info: [1508] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
  • frequency(48)=600169920
    temp=43.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=50.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=53.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=54.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=55.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=56.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=56.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=58.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=59.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=60.0'C
stress: info: [1508] successful run completed in 100s

User avatar
gennargiu
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Napoli
Contact: Website

Re: Heatsinks official for rpi 4 ?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:33 am

chipace wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:47 am
I'm using Adafruit's 15x15x15mm heatsink.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3082

Using this method (a53 with 4 processes):
https://core-electronics.com.au/tutoria ... ry-pi.html

[email protected]:~ $ while true; do vcgencmd measure_clock arm; vcgencmd measure_temp; sleep 10; done& stress -c 4 -t 100s
[1] 1507
stress: info: [1508] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
  • frequency(48)=600169920
    temp=43.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=50.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=53.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=54.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=55.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=56.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=56.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=58.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500345728
    temp=59.0'C
    frequency(48)=1500398464
    temp=60.0'C
stress: info: [1508] successful run completed in 100s
HI, but this is fine for its size for the raspberry pi 3 not for the 4
Raspberry Pi3 Starter Kit

Return to “General discussion”