k-pi

Just received my RPi4b/4GB - no HDMI output!!!

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm

As the title says, just received my RPi4B/4GB from The PiHut, & the HDMI output is dead, not a hint of anything from either socket, trying with my 2 brand new microHDMI cables, the only thing that appears to work is the new PSU!

This is a straight swap over of the mSDHC card from my RPi3B+ which I had set up Buster on 2 days ago!

What a disaster this board seems to be, lots of useless boards being shipped out, presumably untested!

This is after waiting for them to restock as well!

Not happy!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Just received my RPi4b/4GB - no HDMI output!!!

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:14 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm
As the title says, just received my RPi4B/4GB from The PiHut, & the HDMI output is dead, not a hint of anything from either socket, trying with my 2 brand new microHDMI cables, the only thing that appears to work is the new PSU!

This is a straight swap over of the mSDHC card from my RPi3B+ which I had set up Buster on 2 days ago!

What a disaster this board seems to be, lots of useless boards being shipped out, presumably untested!

This is after waiting for them to restock as well!

Not happy!
Hmm, so the 100k shipped that work fine means nothing? Where do you get the figures for non-working boards? And why do you think they leave the factory untested? (they don't)

Calm down, and lets try and diagnose the problem.

Is the board booting at all? Can you SSH in to it, which means everything is running buthe HDMI? Or is it proper dead? Any of the LED's lighting up, flickering etc?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm

In addition to @jamesh's suggestions it may help if you can post some info. about the type of display the HDMI is "not working" with eg. true HDMI monitor, HDMI-DVI connected monitor, HDMI input on a TV ... and what Buster on your P3B+ reports about it. (Buster handles EDID info. differently to previous Raspbian/Debian versions esp., AFAICT, TV CEA modes where the TV in question expects an underscanned "PC-like" input rather than presuming all inputs can be overscanned. One of two TV's I've tried flags this in its EDID the other doesn't!)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jbeale

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Note also that if only one HDMI display is active, it should be the HMDI 0 port, as there is apparently some issue with using HDMI 1 as the only display.
See for example: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... &p=1490763

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I was using the exact same equipment that I used when I put the Buster card & plugged everything into my RPi3B+, (official power supply), & it ran quite it well.

So I swapped out the RPi3B+, PSU, & HDMI cable, plugged in the new PSU, the mHDMI cable into HDMI 0, inserted the very same mSDHC card that runs in the RPi3B+, into my RPi4B, & powered up. Red & green light activity, but no HDMI output. Even tried 2 different brand new mHDMI cables, & also tried them in HDMI 1 (not expecting it to work as per other peoples experiences).

Using an HDMI monitor, that works perfectly, with all my 4 other RPi & several other computers.

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:07 pm

So, just tried powering up the monitor & then the RPi4B once the monitor is on, separately like we used to have to do, & still no HDMI output.

Red power light on, green activity light flashing as if loading the system - but no HDMI output.

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Where do you get the figures for non-working boards? And why do you think they leave the factory untested? (they don't)
Because of all the problems being encountered since the launch of this model on these forums.

mikerr

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:07 pm
So, just tried powering up the monitor & then the RPi4B once the monitor is on, separately like we used to have to do, & still no HDMI output.
If you put this line in config.txt

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
it won't matter which order you power or connect screen & pi.

Worth doing if you're getting blank/no screen.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

hardwaremack-orginal

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:52 pm

with the PI4B 1gig and 2gig versions, HDMI 0 gives me 4k, and HDMI 1 gives me 1080p by default.
my PI4B 1gig was Crashing, 2gig works great. Dell P27 15Q

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Ok, thanks, tried that, no dice, still no output, however, I uncommented 'safe mode', (re commented out the 'force' line), & at least it sent something to the screen, I got '640x480 HDMI', then the 4 raspberries, (looked like it could have been 640x480), the logo screen........then blank!

mikerr

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Hdmi-safe does force-hotplug and more,
including setting a low resolution as you've found.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Is that the official PSU, or a capable one ?
The pi4 draws alot more power than the pi3, and peaks just after the logo....
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 pm

So, tried again, with the 'safe mode' option, & whilst it seemed to be booting, continually moved the mouse, it first entered 640x480, then changed into 1280x768, (it doesn't do 1366x768in HDMI).

So, Ive got it to boot once, at least - lets hope this has sorted out whatever the problem was when it was first powered on - it's not nice spending money & getting duff results.

No, it's using 1024x768 on this 1366x768 monitor, & the desktop says the HDMI0 socket is HDMI-2. Trying to change it with the Screen Layout Editor, it just reverts back to 1024x768 from 1366x768 that I try to save.

I'm going to try my mHDMI cable in the other socket, & reboot.

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 pm

All the equipment is official Raspberry Pi, the PSU & mHDMI cables. Plus a fresh installation of Buster 2 days ago, which worked in my RPi3B+.

Rebooted with the cable in the other socket, & got the expected blank.

Rebooted, mHDMI cable back in HDMI0, & now I get 640x480, 4 raspberries, the logo, & then......nothing, again!

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Altered config.txt
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2

But still only getting 1024x768, every time I alter it in the Screen Layout Editor to 1366x768 & apply it, it reverts back to 1024x768!

BespokeTech

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 pm
All the equipment is official Raspberry Pi, the PSU & mHDMI cables. Plus a fresh installation of Buster 2 days ago, which worked in my RPi3B+.

Rebooted with the cable in the other socket, & got the expected blank.

Rebooted, mHDMI cable back in HDMI0, & now I get 640x480, 4 raspberries, the logo, & then......nothing, again!
Are you able to SSH, ping? If you can gain access to the console via SSH I am sure it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot this one.

Also are you able to test it on another monitor/tv? If it works fine on another display then it is going to be a software thing.

mikerr

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm

k-pi wrote:
Altered config.txt
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2

But still only getting 1024x768, every time I alter it in the Screen Layout Editor to 1366x768 & apply it, it reverts back to 1024x768!
Add
hdmi_mode=81
for 1366x768 ?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:14 pm

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:25 pm
So, tried again, with the 'safe mode' option, & whilst it seemed to be booting, continually moved the mouse, it first entered 640x480, then changed into 1280x768, (it doesn't do 1366x768in HDMI).
So, Ive got it to boot once, at least - lets hope this has sorted out whatever the problem was when it was first powered on - it's not nice spending money & getting duff results.
No, it's using 1024x768 on this 1366x768 monitor, & the desktop says the HDMI0 socket is HDMI-2. Trying to change it with the Screen Layout Editor, it just reverts back to 1024x768 from 1366x768 that I try to save.
I'm going to try my mHDMI cable in the other socket, & reboot.
That looks like "EDID info. interpretation (confusion) issues" to me. AIUI different code is "controlling" the HDMI output in "console mode" cf. "desktop mode". The tvservice command (which now has some new options) is still the first source of info. There are some additional diagnostics that can "delve deeper" but I'm not the "main expert" in their interpretation. As I suggested in my previous post it may be useful to compare the behaviour of Buster with your display on your P3B+ with its behaviour on the P4B and, hopefully, separate "Buster only" issues from "Buster + P4B" issues. For example the "not underscanning" issue I have with some of my TV's appears to be mainly a "Buster" issue as the same issue occurs with a cloned uSDHC card on an old B2 Pi: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... kTest.html ie. I resort to a VNC setup because using the HDMI2 input on the TV (+ a USB KM switch) still has an overscanned display.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

artuk

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Whilst my Pi4 arrived today and is up and running I only have an HDMI output on the HDMI port next to the power connector, neither moving the HDMI connector to the other HDMI output or booting with that output connected gives any display, just the 'no signal detected' on the monitor screen.
Can anyone advise about using either or both of the HDMI outputs.
Thanks

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 pm

mikerr wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 pm
k-pi wrote:
Altered config.txt
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2

Add
hdmi_mode=81
for 1366x768 ?
I'll try that in the morning, getting late here, & my brain is/has got befuddled trying to get this thing working properly, thanks.

k-pi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 pm

That looks like "EDID info. interpretation (confusion) issues" to me.
Problem here is that it worked fine on the RPi3B+, same Buster mSDHC card, same monitor.

Going to call it quits for tonight, try again tomorrow.

6by9

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Display setup is now two phase.

The firmware starts up and deals with the rainbow screen and the very initial framebuffer.
FKMS then starts and uses the display EDID to determine the supported modes, and it will select the mode it prefers. The firmware tries to direct this, but X totally ignores that.
If your display EDID is incorrect then mode selection can be an issue as DRM goes and adds the standard VESA DMT modes up to 1024x768.

We now have 2 HDMI connectors. All the HDMI parameters in config.txt are duplicated, with adding :0 or :1 to set it on HDMI0 or HDMI1 respectively. Omitting it will always set HDMI0.
hdmi_force_hotplug=1 will force initialisation of HDMI0, hence HDMI1 becomes the secondary display. This is not what you're wanting to do. You're probably wanting hdmi_force_hotplug:1=1.

If you can SSH in then so much the better.
Add "drm.debug=0x14" to the start of /boot/cmdline.txt and DRM will dump a large amount of information in the kernel log.
If you're really struggling, then edit /boot/config.txt to remove the line "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" to disable the FKMS driver, and then provide us with the raw EDID to try and determine what is going on. "tvservice -d edid.dat"

"Screen Configuration", on clicking apply it should give you 10 seconds to confirm that the settings work, and then reverts back to what it was on. Assuming you acknowledge that in the affirmative then it does save the settings you've asked for, and those should be applied next time you boot.

Whilst this is slightly different from previous Pi builds, this is using the Linux kernel parsing code, therefore it should be much closer to the standard behaviour of other Linux machines. We are still learning where the quirks are, so please bare with us if there are odd balls.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

6by9

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:50 pm

I will add that we are chasing an issue with HDMI1 where it ends up with too low a clock speed and therefore not working. https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1159

Pi3 is NOT using FKMS by default. Pi4 is. That is a huge difference.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

rhildinger

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Have you tried simply erasing the SD card and re-writing the buster image to it and placing it in the RPi4 first?

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:22 pm

It does seem to be an EDID problem. Pi4 uses a very different video driver, and it may be that, or your monitor not sending EDID data correctly.

Try adding hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080 to config.txt and setting the resolution manually.

To configure the resolution, add the following to config.txt.

For a hi-def television:
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=4
If hdmi_mode=4 doesn't work, try 19

For a computer monitor:
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=81
If hdmi_mode=81 doesn't work, try 39.

So, assuming it's a monitor, your config.txt should have:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=81
and any other video configuration info should be commented out or deleted.

Also, use only HDMI-0 for this test.

rhildinger wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm
Have you tried simply erasing the SD card and re-writing the buster image to it and placing it in the RPi4 first?
If nothing above seems to work, do this ^

k-pi wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:10 pm
Because of all the problems being encountered since the launch of this model on these forums.
This statement is complete nonsense on so many levels I don't even know here to start. :roll:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

binaryhermit

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 pm

I would say there have been a lot of problems, but probably not more than would be expected from this sort of thing.

Return to “General discussion”