graphicw

Re: Pi4 as Desktop computer

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:48 am

Testing is part of the fun and the Pi 4 exceeds it's advertised specifications. Good enough as far as I am concerned and the CPU is not the main limiting factor anyway. At the end of the day, it comes down to GPU function as the main limiting factor. Good news is that all Pi 4s I have tested can handle a GPU overclock to 600 MHz and a CPU overclock of 1800 MHz with over voltage at only 2. Excellent and stable overclock.

Things on the GPU side will improve more as the Mesa work continues. Maximum stable overclock on GPU is 600 MHz as all tested Pi's could get there. Some I could get up to 630 MHz but artifacts were evident and GPU function was unstable at that speed. 600 MHz is the sweet spot.

Not in much hurry for Pi 5 because we are not yet seeing the full potential of the 4 yet. The journey of getting there is part of the fun as well. I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop. You know spending that kind of money on high end hardware that it will run anything you throw it. Where's the fun in that? You only get to build it once and it is too simple to fine tune. With the Pi, you can fine tune and tinker and have it exceed expectations and enjoy the journey there.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am

The Pi 4 can be a tool. It comes down for using the right tool for the job. If you want to play AAA multiplayer games, render 3D scenes and etc, then by all means you need the $3,000 machine.

If you want to browse the web, play some nostalgic games, light photo editing, watch videos and etc the Pi may be all you need. You also have to budget in power requirements. My main desktop can pull down 600 watts while playing ESO or WOW with around 200 watts being the idel pull. The Pi is going to pull done less than 15 watts. My main desktop mainly stays off as well as my other larger computers. The Pi's run 24/7.

ejolson

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 am
graphicw wrote:
I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop.
Depends how you view a computer. A toy, or a tool?
It also depends on whose budget one is spending.

I generally find it easier to enjoy small things, because much less is expected. From this point of view, I'm constantly impressed by how good the Pi Zero seems in comparison to those servers that meltdown or are full of spectres.

If only the Zero had a raspberry-coloured circuit board, it would be perfect. The Pi 4 is not bad either, even as a desktop.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am

For decades I had to build and support business systems. The fub went out of computers to the extent that my standard joke was 'I hate computers'. The reality now that I am over 65 and not in the industry any more, is that I can actually enjoy computers again. I have several computers left over from the business that once were considered fairly powerful, that haven't even been booted since about 2010. I do most of my photo editing on the Celeron BRIX as mentioned, and rather than writing full programs, I just knock up a few bash scripts to automate stuff.

But the Pis? I was just looking for something and found my first Pi, with a full sized SD card - along with one of each model since except the 2B and 3B+ - 2 each. I can actually enjoy computing again. I'm sometimes tempted to play with robotics, but alas, the poor old brain doesn't play well these days.

Toy or tool? For years I drove a high performance sports car very long distances at high speeds 'for work'. The same question could be asked about that..

Anyway, despite me boring too many people with my waffling on, some of the other members' replies have helped me find solutions to my own attempt to use the Pi 4 as a daily 'Desktop Computer' Thanks for the help :-)
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:43 am

I bought an all in one Dell desktop about about 5 years ago for just under $500. I knew it was low spec machine. It could not even do YouTube in any browser at 1080p ever. Everything was 720p or below.

It would have had no hope of running Doom 3 and choked on DOTA and even Warzone 2100. I used it for nothing but web browsing and it was quite slow at that. The Pi 4 on the other hand flies through those tasks and eats up even 1080p @ 60 fps video better than that Dell ever did 720p at standard frame rate. I spent $80.00 on the Pi 4, fan, case and heatsinks. A computer that outperformed the Dell. I spent $130 on a monitor and $42.00 on a wireless keyboard and mouse which is better than the Dell came with. Still came in well under the price of that Dell.

By any metric, the Pi 4 is great value. Even throwing in a 256gb SD card only added $38.00. The Dell had a 500gb slow HD. I have plenty of external drives and still came in less than the Dell with an 8tb external drive. The Pi 4 is an absolute value for a small desktop system even if you buy everything needed to make it so.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:47 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am
For decades I had to build and support business systems. The fub went out of computers to the extent that my standard joke was 'I hate computers'. The reality now that I am over 65 and not in the industry any more, is that I can actually enjoy computers again. I have several computers left over from the business that once were considered fairly powerful, that haven't even been booted since about 2010. I do most of my photo editing on the Celeron BRIX as mentioned, and rather than writing full programs, I just knock up a few bash scripts to automate stuff.

But the Pis? I was just looking for something and found my first Pi, with a full sized SD card - along with one of each model since except the 2B and 3B+ - 2 each. I can actually enjoy computing again. I'm sometimes tempted to play with robotics, but alas, the poor old brain doesn't play well these days.

Toy or tool? For years I drove a high performance sports car very long distances at high speeds 'for work'. The same question could be asked about that..

Anyway, despite me boring too many people with my waffling on, some of the other members' replies have helped me find solutions to my own attempt to use the Pi 4 as a daily 'Desktop Computer' Thanks for the help :-)
Exactly. The hobbyist nature of Pi makes computing fun again and you can add to it to make it what you need it to be. Why drive that Sports Car guzzling excess energy all the time when you really don't really need to? The Pi 4 amazes with what it can do with such a small power usage footprint.

I am older as well and remember the Commodore and Amiga days very well. I enjoyed computing when it was Commodore/Amiga/DOS and the Pi has brought all that back to me now. Loving every moment of it. Best investments I have made in a long time.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:11 am
graphicw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am
If you want to browse the web, play some nostalgic games, light photo editing, watch videos and etc the Pi may be all you need. You also have to budget in power requirements. My main desktop can pull down 600 watts while playing ESO or WOW with around 200 watts being the idel pull. The Pi is going to pull done less than 15 watts. My main desktop mainly stays off as well as my other larger computers. The Pi's run 24/7.
Absolutely no need to overclock if that's all you're going to do!
Why not? You always should explore what you can do with a system without hurting it. I found the sweet spot of what these systems can do and have found it on all the ones before this system. This is a hobby and challenge and I am willing to play.

I can bypass the PMIC if need be and easily run 2 GHz, but why bother? It performs fine at 1800 MHz and you won't see much difference exceeding that. I have power supplies that can give any voltage and amperage I need but why bother when I accomplish what I need without it?

rpdom

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 am

graphicw wrote:
I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop.
I had one of their ancient relatives. The Acorn ARM development add-on processor for one of my BBC Microcomputers ("Micro" Hah! Absolutely massive compared to the Pi). That cost around £4000 originally (about $8000 at the time). I didn't dare take a soldering iron to that board - but I did modify my Beebs a bit.
RossDv8 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:49 am
I remember buying a house in 1984, and a few months later spending the same amount on an Epson QX-10 (no hard drive), colour printer, cp/m and some programs.
I bought my house in 1998. A year later I picked up a Unix system that was being junked because it wouldn't pass the Y2K scenario. I salvaged parts from a few other machines as well to get as much memory, CPU and storage as I could fit into that box. I actually got it running at a higher spec than it was designed for. 33MHz CPU, 240MB RAM, 4GB of disks, 10Mb Ethernet, 18 serial ports, two tape drives. I looked up the list price for all those parts and it came out at slightly more than I paid for the house. I scrapped it about a year later when I started running Linux on PCs instead of Windows 98. It was interesting to learn stuff on. I managed to get a simple web server running on it (only accessible locally). I had to write some new C library routines for that as the ancient (SVr2) OS it was running didn't have a few important functions. That was a good opportunity to learn some C.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 am

Agreed! I've been slack about reading the specs, so I wasn't aware of what the over_voltage options were. Once graphicw put me on the right track with that I tried it, and settled in 1.8GHz. But I also liked the suggestion of 6by9 to switch via GPIO, and read the link on config.txt conditional options. And jamesh reminding us that we're pushing the limits a bit, is actually sensible.

Nice to see the Engineers keeping a bit of an eye on the things we're trying to do to their poor little Pi...
It has been a lively, fun, and for me at least, educational thread. :D
until you fart ...

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

diogen151 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 am
clicky wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am
Any chance you producing image that trips it and share it? I am just very curious to see it with my own eyes :D
This image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuLYwA ... sp=sharing

is scan of old dia-slide from late 70-ties.
5 attempts, GIMP crashes 3 times - 2 successful Sharpen(Unsharp Mask)
Just for reference - no overclocking or any other tinkering with Pi - uptime of 13 days:
Same picture, nothing else really running but 5-6 terminal tabs (I've closed Chromium and two instances of PyCharm which were pushing memory closer to full ~ 70/30% split between used/caches)
- First Sharpen(Unsharp Mask) - success,
- Second go - Gimp dies:

Here's random excerpt from syslog:

Code: Select all

Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.585158] Out of memory: Kill process 28625 (gimp-2.10) score 636 or sacrifice child
Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.585191] Killed process 28625 (gimp-2.10) total-vm:2962344kB, anon-rss:2475372kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:13476kB
Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.884607] oom_reaper: reaped process 28625 (gimp-2.10), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:13476kB
PS Nice picture :)

dickon

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am

If you can, could you try that with a 64b kernel? I'd be interested to see if the same thing happens again.

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

dickon wrote:
If you can, could you try that with a 64b kernel? I'd be interested to see if the same thing happens again.
Not soon. :( I am using that Pi for my day to day non professional work and it would take time to tinker with kernel, etc. And I'm in the middle of something else :( Maybe someone with 64bit kernel already in place can jump in...

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 am

dickon wrote:
As long as there's enough swap, it shouldn't.

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
dickon wrote:
Was well worth trying. I've increased it to 2GB (it's in a file on SSD so it should be reasonable performance wise) and...
Well - something did change - it didn't immediately died after starting second Unsharp Mask but hang at 0% reported. I've killed it and started again. This time I started second pass and died at ~ 10%. I can see that not much of a swap was used (at least eye-balling `watch free -h`)

But it really seems that this picture pushes Gimp to allocate all 'free' memory. Strangely enough that memory pressure doesn't release 700-ish MB of cache...

Now, I was just curious and tried the same on OSX with much older version of Gimp and it didn't fail but that particular filter does behave oddly: first time round it was invoked all seems fine. Second time round it takes some unexplainable amount of time just for dialog to appear and when it finishes progress bar at the bottom doesn't disappear. I can run it third time as well and it still doesn't disappear (not thing else bad happens). It would be interesting seeing someone else run Gimp on Linux machine and compare it with RPi's behaviour.

BTW - not-disappearing-progress-bar just disappeared after restarting Gimp and all works fine now on OSX.

jamesh

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:39 pm

clicky wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
dickon wrote:
Was well worth trying. I've increased it to 2GB (it's in a file on SSD so it should be reasonable performance wise) and...
Well - something did change - it didn't immediately died after starting second Unsharp Mask but hang at 0% reported. I've killed it and started again. This time I started second pass and died at ~ 10%. I can see that not much of a swap was used (at least eye-balling `watch free -h`)

But it really seems that this picture pushes Gimp to allocate all 'free' memory. Strangely enough that memory pressure doesn't release 700-ish MB of cache...

Now, I was just curious and tried the same on OSX with much older version of Gimp and it didn't fail but that particular filter does behave oddly: first time round it was invoked all seems fine. Second time round it takes some unexplainable amount of time just for dialog to appear and when it finishes progress bar at the bottom doesn't disappear. I can run it third time as well and it still doesn't disappear (not thing else bad happens). It would be interesting seeing someone else run Gimp on Linux machine and compare it with RPi's behaviour.

BTW - not-disappearing-progress-bar just disappeared after restarting Gimp and all works fine now on OSX.
Sounding more and more like a memory leak issue in GIMP.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm

It definitively seems like some kind of Gimp related thingy - which is exaggerated by amount of available memory on Pi4.

ejolson

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:09 pm

clicky wrote:
It definitively seems like some kind of Gimp related thingy - which is exaggerated by amount of available memory on Pi4.
Have you tried with Gimp on the 64-bit Gentoo image?

Your crash could be another one of those 32-bit regressions that keep happening now that most development is done on 64-bit machines.

diogen151

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:32 pm

clicky wrote:
Thank you ! :D
ejolson wrote:
clicky wrote:

Your crash could be another one of those 32-bit regressions that keep happening now that most development is done on 64-bit machines.
Made test on Manjaro 64-bit ARM; GIMP 2.10, RPi4b/4GB RAM, with that picture ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuLYwA ... sp=sharing ) and had no problem in several tries.
Only 2,2 GB RAM used, no swapping, very fast sharpening !
comments >/dev/null ;-)

gkreidl

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

diogen151 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:32 pm
clicky wrote:
Thank you ! :D
ejolson wrote:
clicky wrote:

Made test on Manjaro 64-bit ARM; GIMP 2.10, RPi4b/4GB RAM, with that picture ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuLYwA ... sp=sharing ) and had no problem in several tries.
Only 2,2 GB RAM used, no swapping, very fast sharpening !
Did you run the test (unsharp masking) repeatedly on the samne image (without reopening)?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

diogen151

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm
Did you run the test (unsharp masking) repeatedly on the samne image (without reopening)?
Yes. Manjaro ARM 64 bit is stable, in Raspbian crashes in 50 % trials.
I have tested also with 28 MB jpeg, in Raspbian no chance to complete sharp(unsharp mask) in Manjaro very fast and no crash in several attempts.
comments >/dev/null ;-)

RossDv8

Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:25 am

This image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuLYwA ... sp=sharing

is scan of old dia-slide from late 70-ties.
5 attempts, GIMP crashes 3 times - 2 successful Sharpen(Unsharp Mask)
I downloaded that 18MB image and tried it in Raspbian with the Pi still overclocked to 1.8GHz, and 4 Virtual Desktops open with: Chromium open with several tabs, a couple of instances of the file manager open, geeqie open viewing the results and the Task Manager running on top to see what was happening.

GIMP shows the working size of the image at close to 400MB, as does Task Manager until a GIMP filter is chosen, at which time the memory use jumps to around 2500MB+ out of about 3700MB available RAM. During processing it varied above and below 3000MB over several Unsharp operations, but it worked each time and it processed quite quickly. Too quickly for me to capture the progress dial with my screen shot script (set at 8 seconds to allow me to capture the Filter selection).

So I changed the defaults. Increased Radius from 3 to 5 and increased Amount from 0.5 to 1.5. And managed to hang GIMP once out of all the tests, so there is an issue somewhere, but it didn't lock the system - I could still close GIMP. But it only locked up once.
Speed of the filter seemed not much different from the same operation on the Celeron BRIX (I ran it for comparison on the other HDMI input on my screen)
I was taking delayed screen shots at the time I hung it, so that might be part of the cause. I closed a few open instances of File Manager and ran the tests again with Radius at 5 and various settings of Amount from 1.5 to 2.5, including doing it again just now (while typing this sentence) and it is working fine.

Maximum memory usage runs up to a little under 3050MB, but averages 2400MB to 2700MB. CPU goes from about 20% to occasionally 44%, but sits mostly around 24%.

I still have an 8GB swapfile, but it hasn't quite used that yet.

For myself, GIMPing photos from my camera is one of my main day to day uses for a Desktop computer, and my main reason for replying to this post in the first place :-) I still need to try out a few of my Imagemagick scripts that I use to automate batch processing of things like unsharp etc.

I'm looking at the screenshots of Openshot while it was processing an mp4. CPU Usage peaked at 64% but averaged about 45%. RAM used however was only averaging 1.5GB for the entire operation. And no hangup. I ran that o several files with similar results. And that was when the Pi was overclocked to 2GHz and overvoltage =4. I also had no swapfile at the time but that probably made no difference. Openshot was only rendering at 7.6fps, possibly because I chose high res as the output.

But I am surprised that Openshot only used about half the RAM that GIMP used !
until you fart ...

clicky

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:00 pm

To continue with the theme of the thread - I've continued to use Raspberry Pi 4 almost exclusively after work and during weekend (even my wife noticed I stopped taking my MBP any more). All along the lines 'eat your own dog food'...

Most of the usage is along everyday tasks as email/web (including this forum) + development: PyCharm for lightweight Python and AVR assembler and now over weekend a lot of LibGDX stuff - Idea as main IDE.

I've imported and tinkered with our Virtual PiNoon, PiWars project: https://www.unleadedsnail.com/piwars/
It might not work on any other browser but Chrome (Chromium) at the moment the way it is compiled, but that's only temporary...
Source code is here https://github.com/GamesCreatorsClub/GCC-VirtualRover) - I've updated it to use the latest gradle used by LibGDX and the latest LibGDX libraries (RPi versions). Even GWT is compiled on RPi 4 (instead of 1:00 -1:30min it did last slightly over 4 minutes) and deployed it above. All code fixed and tested on RPi (obviously). For that I wanted to whip in some sound so I've added Audacity to the list of tools I've installed on RPi (aside of gradle, Idea, Gimp, ...).

Looking at all that I wanted to make something (almost) from the scratch in LibGDX to push RPi4's GPU - so here it is:
https://www.abstracthorizon.org/libgdx/rpi-rog/
It is best viewed on the Raspberyr Pi where it can achieve up to 10fps (usually 7-9fps), which doesn't seem a lot from perspective of fast, modern laptops and desktops with fancy graphics cards (you're probably checking it now from) .For £54 all in one little computer that's quite good.

As I said - all was done on the Raspberry Pi 4 starting from gdx-setup.jar, updating code in Idea to testing it directly on desktop and compiling GWT.. BTW source code is here: https://github.com/natdan/rpi-libgdx-ex ... er/rpi-rog

Whoever is very interested (and brave to trust me) - jar file is here: https://www.abstracthorizon.org/libgdx/ ... pi-rog.jar
I've tested it with JDK1.8 (v211) and OpenJDK 11 delivered with Buster. You can start it with:

$ java -jar rpi-rog.jar
Given experience so far there's very good chance I'll just continue like this for foreseeable future. It has pretty much what I need and it just works. I like simplicity and ease of use of OSX (and virtually no maintenance) - but Linux is still my first love. Also, it is very convenient for it to be on 24/7 (~15W at peak is not much to be worried about) and it reassembles what I had from my first MBP - instant development environment - not portable though but for set of projects I'm currently doing it doesn't have to be.

Since this is a longish post I've taken a picture of my desktop while finalising Ray of God code. Here it is:
Attachments
Screenshot-ROG-2.jpg
Screenshot-ROG-2.jpg (254.46 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

RossDv8

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 am

clicky wrote:
To continue with the theme of the thread - I've continued to use Raspberry Pi 4 almost exclusively after work and during weekend (even my wife noticed I stopped taking my MBP any more). All along the lines 'eat your own dog food'...
This pos twas UPDATED again on Wed 2nd Oct 2019
I've had a similar experience here, using the Pi 4 on a daily basis now :-) I know there's a little bit of a difference between Kubuntu on my usual Desktop computers and Raspbian on the Pi,, but that aside, some days now I forget I am using the Pi 4 until I need to print something, or until I want to do some banking .
To do banking I like to use a VPN (mine is Private Internet Access) and for the life of me, I can't get PIA-VPN working. I replicated everything exactly the way I set it up on the Pi 3B+, then when it didn't start, I updated the server (the Aussie servers changed recently), but the indicator just keeps spinning, then falls back to an open connection.
** Found a solution, see in the list below..

But for everything else, day to day the Pi 4 is proving excellent. The following list is some of the stuff I added to make day to day use easier.
Still running overclocked.
Tested the boot and reboot problem with default clock settings. Problem is still there but seems to disappear if I eject and unplug any USB devices (Only tested USB 3). I've just moved my wireless keyboard receiver from USB 3 to USB 2 to see if that has any effect.
** Found a solution - Changed form a powered hub to a non-powered hub and stopped using splitter cables (y-adapter cables) to power my bigger drives. If I have to run the 3TB USB 3 drive, I make sure I eject it and unplug the data cable between the splitter and the Pi 4.

I'm now back to overclock set at 1800 and increased overvoltage to 3. gpu is at 600. Still stable. gpu memory is at 256, but 128 seems to be no different so I might set it back. (I think the Engineers here said anything needed above 128MB is allocated dynamically)

I have added:
- Single click Screen Shot (using scrotum)
- Single click an icon on the desktop to randomly change the wallpaper (instead of opening the Desktop Preferences Menu)
- Installed firefox-esr (from the repo, then modified to work more securely with Tor)
- Single click to start Tor. Tor - working nicely EXCEPT a 'The proxy server is refusing connections' on non https sites.
Googling shows this is a common problem, not specific to Raspbian)
( the proxy server error is Usually fixed by simply adding https:// manually at the beginning of the web address)
- An Icon to open Chromium with ytdl_server and OMXplayer as the default for video (switching back to VLC is easy, but OMX is still smoother)
- Guenter Kriedl's 'PLAY' bookmark in Chromium to use the ytdl_server to extract and play video (smoother than VLC internally)
- SMtube and mpv with youtube-dl+mpv as the default for video. (Plays almost as smoothly as OMX, but is a dedicated YouTube app).
- Created a new Panel down one side with the icons to run each of the above scripts with a single click.
- ** Finally got PIA-VPN working.
I tried some steps on the forum for the Pi 4 - failed ( had to reflash th microSD)
Tried the configuration that worked on the Pi 3B+ - failed, but now I have the Gnome Network Manager installed (which I like anyway)
THEN. I remembered Private Internet Access has a Chrome Extension !! Installed it, tested it with advanced DNS Leak tests - Passed!
Now I can do my online bonking.

At teh moment, that jus leaves 'printing' preventing me using the Pi as my 'permanent' to day Desktop computer. But I can get through most days without ever turning on any of the big computers or even the BRIX.. :D

(Still trying to find a workable full time print solution. Brother supposedly has a generic armhf driver - but I can't find the thing..)
until you fart ...

Giga_Pi

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

clicky wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Most of the usage is along everyday tasks as email/web (including this forum) + development: PyCharm for lightweight Python and AVR assembler and now over weekend a lot of LibGDX stuff - Idea as main IDE.

I've imported and tinkered with our Virtual PiNoon, PiWars project: https://www.unleadedsnail.com/piwars/
It might not work on any other browser but Chrome (Chromium) at the moment the way it is compiled, but that's only temporary...
Source code is here https://github.com/GamesCreatorsClub/GCC-VirtualRover) - I've updated it to use the latest gradle used by LibGDX and the latest LibGDX libraries (RPi versions). Even GWT is compiled on RPi 4 (instead of 1:00 -1:30min it did last slightly over 4 minutes) and deployed it above. All code fixed and tested on RPi (obviously). For that I wanted to whip in some sound so I've added Audacity to the list of tools I've installed on RPi (aside of gradle, Idea, Gimp, ...).

Looking at all that I wanted to make something (almost) from the scratch in LibGDX to push RPi4's GPU - so here it is:
https://www.abstracthorizon.org/libgdx/rpi-rog/
It is best viewed on the Raspberyr Pi where it can achieve up to 10fps (usually 7-9fps), which doesn't seem a lot from perspective of fast, modern laptops and desktops with fancy graphics cards (you're probably checking it now from) .For £54 all in one little computer that's quite good.

As I said - all was done on the Raspberry Pi 4 starting from gdx-setup.jar, updating code in Idea to testing it directly on desktop and compiling GWT.. BTW source code is here: https://github.com/natdan/rpi-libgdx-ex ... er/rpi-rog

Whoever is very interested (and brave to trust me) - jar file is here: https://www.abstracthorizon.org/libgdx/ ... pi-rog.jar
I've tested it with JDK1.8 (v211) and OpenJDK 11 delivered with Buster. You can start it with:

$ java -jar rpi-rog.jar
Given experience so far there's very good chance I'll just continue like this for foreseeable future. It has pretty much what I need and it just works. I like simplicity and ease of use of OSX (and virtually no maintenance) - but Linux is still my first love. Also, it is very convenient for it to be on 24/7 (~15W at peak is not much to be worried about) and it reassembles what I had from my first MBP - instant development environment - not portable though but for set of projects I'm currently doing it doesn't have to be.

Since this is a longish post I've taken a picture of my desktop while finalising Ray of God code. Here it is:
I noticed you used the McMojave KDE plasma theme. I used that for a while.

I followed all the steps you took to get the animations working perfectly. Runs great.

Still trying to find time to buy a microHDMI to HDMI socket, as my TV does not like my Pi4, but once I do, It'll totally be the dominating computer I own.

Just out of interest, have you got SDDM to work yet? I can't get it to work so have had to stick to GDM3. If you have, can you give me instructions?

Thanks!

Giga_Pi
As soon as the DM smiles, you know it's too late...

clicky

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:36 am

Giga_Pi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am
I noticed you used the McMojave KDE plasma theme. I used that for a while.

I followed all the steps you took to get the animations working perfectly. Runs great.

Still trying to find time to buy a microHDMI to HDMI socket, as my TV does not like my Pi4, but once I do, It'll totally be the dominating computer I own.

Just out of interest, have you got SDDM to work yet? I can't get it to work so have had to stick to GDM3. If you have, can you give me instructions?

Thanks!

Giga_Pi
I genuinely don't know. I've *just* done it. Wasn't even aware of the name of the theme - it just looked nice (I haven't chosen it because it reassembles OSX).

As for SDDM - I had to check - and it seems that SDDM is working for me. Cannot remember doing anything special to get it running. Not even sure where you set it! (I certainly haven't messed with config files in this instance)
Attachments
sddm.jpg
sddm.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

Return to “General discussion”