6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi4 as Desktop computer

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:27 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:08 pm
to 5t4n5
I suspect if I can get my brain functioning again, a little python script would let me switch easily between an overclocked or default config.txt (named config.clk and config.def for example). For that matter, a bash script and zenity (installed by default on Raspbian) would do it and present a popup dialog!

Then as I mentioned, if some program like GIMP, is falling over, run the script, and the Pi will rename one of the backup files as config.txt and reboot. Problem solvered and the full 2GHz overclock available for less demanding tasks.

That way I can have my Pi and eat it...
Until I cook it!
Go for a physical switch on a GPIO and use the [gpio27=0] conditional in config.txt to switch between the configurations.

It's a useful little trick that I've been doing when testing out new kernels. If it doesn't boot then flick the switch to get back to a known good system, update the dodgy kernel file, flick the switch back, and reboot again into the freshly updated kernel.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

rpdom

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:35 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm
This DOHC port fuel injected 2.4L lotus designed engine hits rev limiter at 6300 rpm, However when they use these engines to durability test transmissions that limiter is removed and all day 24/7 runs between 6600 and 7200 rpm and they hold up in the test cell.... They hardly ever blow up. however ... the GM 6.0L engines would blow up all the time, not sure what rpm they were running those at though.
My 4gig Pi4 is very stable at 1950mhz though i am at Overvoltage6 and it makes alot of heat. So long as i keep the blower on it i can run it at 100% as much as i want and seems to work pretty great.
My DOHC Fiat 2.0L didn't have a rev limiter. It red lined at 6000 rpm. I did accidentally take it over 7000 rpm on a couple of occasions, but it didn't cause any problems. It would hit the red line in top gear on a good run and hold there for a long time, but obviously I never drove it for 25 miles at 125 mph ever.

bleep42

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm

6by9 wrote:

Go for a physical switch on a GPIO and use the [gpio27=0] conditional in config.txt to switch between the configurations.

It's a useful little trick that I've been doing when testing out new kernels. If it doesn't boot then flick the switch to get back to a known good system, update the dodgy kernel file, flick the switch back, and reboot again into the freshly updated kernel.
Now that's a very usefull feature I never knew about, never knew you could interogate the GPIO pins from config.txt. :-)

6by9

Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:36 pm

bleep42 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm
6by9 wrote:

Now that's a very usefull feature I never knew about, never knew you could interogate the GPIO pins from config.txt. :-)
It's in the docs! https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... itional.md
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:49 am

6by9 wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks !! And I assume there's a caveat here, like 'if you do this you might void your warranty LOL'

Really, many of us have been horrible things to desktop computers costing thousands of dollars (including overclocking) and voiding our warranties for years. All in the name of curiosity.
I remember buying a house in 1984, and a few months later spending the same amount on an Epson QX-10 (no hard drive), colour printer, cp/m and some programs. Then attacking it with a soldering iron! Mind you, I was still using it for one task until about 1998.

At least if we break a Pi, there's just a relatively low cost and a short delay to fix the error. Where I live, the 4GB board is just $75 of our dollars. and a complete kit with case, fan and stuff (only got to buy that stuff and the microSD once) is under $150 including freight.

What I couldn't find was a 'Genuine' Raspberry Pi basic kit with say, the Board, genuine case AND Fan, Heat Sinks, genuine power supply, HDMI adapter. I would have loved to have gone 100% genuine.

However - except for the lack of printer drivers for most printers, my Pi 4 is working beautifully as a Desktop Computer, as long as I don;t push it too far outside its comfort zone :-) Some days I have to check to remember which computer I am using!
Pi 4B 4GB - system on WD 240G SSD ( but /boot on Sandisk microSD)

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:01 am

jamesh wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am
RossDv8 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:56 am
Please report back if going back to stock CPU speeds solves the problem.
Reporting back !!

Hashed out the overclock settings and hashed out the GPU Memory split setting then unsharped the stock 1MB wallpaper file that failed before (temple.jpg) on the microSD. No probem.
Unsharped the 6MB file from the camera, that failed previously (on an SSD connected to a USB 3 port). No problem.

Boot time for the Pi was a lot slower after hashing out the overclock settings, actually hanging on boot several times. I had a quick look at the GPU memory split, and found it had defaulted to 76MB !! Changed that to 256MB, simply because it was the highest option showing in raspi-config. Boot time is normal again.

Project for today is to try each of the overclock settings out of curiosity to see what triggers the problem in GIMP. However, I am wondering if there is any advantage in overclocking, as I suspect 1750MHz 'might' be the tipping point. Either that or running the GPU at 600MHz.
We shall see..

In the mean time - I can't blame the Pi :oops:

!! U P D A T E !!
I checked using different overclock settings;
Hashed out ALL overclock settings - worked fine
ENABLED CPU at 2000Mhz - failed to boot
ENABLED CPU at 2000MHz AND Voltage at 4V - Booted, but GIMP unsharp failed
Changed CPU overclock to 1750MHz (left overvoltage at 4V) - GIMP unsharp failed
Reverted overclock settings to default (hashed out everything) - GIMP unsharp is working on 1MB and 6MB files on both Local microSD and External USB drives.

End of my config.txt is now looking like:
[Pi 4B Overclock]
#over_voltage=4
#arm_freq=2000
#arm_freq=1750
#gpu_freq=600

gpu_mem=256

In my case, (for now) the problem with GIMP rebooting the Pi 4 during some operations has been solved by removing the overclock settings from the /boot/config.txt file.

Until I find some other software problem, that means for me at least the Pi will work nicely as a Desktop Computer - EXCEPT for the 'apparent' lack of compatible printer drivers. I know I can print over the network, but I would like to print directly from the Pi.

For the moment I'll just continue using an Android phone I had lying around ( with the appropriate Android printing app) as a Bluetooth/WiFi Direct print server. It is clumsy, but it works for now and indeed makes the Pi usable as a Desktop computer for the moment.
OK, so sounds like GIMP is stressing the CPU enough to brown out the PMIC at those high voltages and overclocks. Ah well, overclock at your peril. It was most odd to see a kernel crash from a userland app, simply from heavy memory use, but this does explain it.
I decided to test this out myself. It crashed at 2000 MHz on CPU and over voltage of 4. It worked great at 1800 MHz on CPU and over voltage of 2. If I stayed at 1800 and set over voltage to 4, it would crash at 1800 as well. If you keep over voltage at 2 or less, no problem. Looks like power is indeed the limiting factor.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:31 am

I decided to test this out myself. It crashed at 2000 MHz on CPU and over voltage of 4. It worked great at 1800 MHz on CPU and over voltage of 2. If I stayed at 1800 and set over voltage to 4, it would crash at 1800 as well. If you keep over voltage at 2 or less, no problem. Looks like power is indeed the limiting factor.
Haha.. Another day of testing stuff :-) But every test and result is one step closer to being able to use the Pi 4 as a daily workhorse..

Can't wait to see how the new Raspberry Pi 5 will perform !!

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:48 am

Testing is part of the fun and the Pi 4 exceeds it's advertised specifications. Good enough as far as I am concerned and the CPU is not the main limiting factor anyway. At the end of the day, it comes down to GPU function as the main limiting factor. Good news is that all Pi 4s I have tested can handle a GPU overclock to 600 MHz and a CPU overclock of 1800 MHz with over voltage at only 2. Excellent and stable overclock.

Things on the GPU side will improve more as the Mesa work continues. Maximum stable overclock on GPU is 600 MHz as all tested Pi's could get there. Some I could get up to 630 MHz but artifacts were evident and GPU function was unstable at that speed. 600 MHz is the sweet spot.

Not in much hurry for Pi 5 because we are not yet seeing the full potential of the 4 yet. The journey of getting there is part of the fun as well. I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop. You know spending that kind of money on high end hardware that it will run anything you throw it. Where's the fun in that? You only get to build it once and it is too simple to fine tune. With the Pi, you can fine tune and tinker and have it exceed expectations and enjoy the journey there.

jcyr

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 am

graphicw wrote:
Not in much hurry for Pi 5 because we are not yet seeing the full potential of the 4 yet. The journey of getting there is part of the fun as well. I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop. You know spending that kind of money on high end hardware that it will run anything you throw it. Where's the fun in that?
Depends how you view a computer. A toy, or a tool?
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am

The Pi 4 can be a tool. It comes down for using the right tool for the job. If you want to play AAA multiplayer games, render 3D scenes and etc, then by all means you need the $3,000 machine.

If you want to browse the web, play some nostalgic games, light photo editing, watch videos and etc the Pi may be all you need. You also have to budget in power requirements. My main desktop can pull down 600 watts while playing ESO or WOW with around 200 watts being the idel pull. The Pi is going to pull done less than 15 watts. My main desktop mainly stays off as well as my other larger computers. The Pi's run 24/7.

ejolson

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 am
graphicw wrote:
I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop.
It also depends on whose budget one is spending.

I generally find it easier to enjoy small things, because much less is expected. From this point of view, I'm constantly impressed by how good the Pi Zero seems in comparison to those servers that meltdown or are full of spectres.

If only the Zero had a raspberry-coloured circuit board, it would be perfect. The Pi 4 is not bad either, even as a desktop.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am

For decades I had to build and support business systems. The fub went out of computers to the extent that my standard joke was 'I hate computers'. The reality now that I am over 65 and not in the industry any more, is that I can actually enjoy computers again. I have several computers left over from the business that once were considered fairly powerful, that haven't even been booted since about 2010. I do most of my photo editing on the Celeron BRIX as mentioned, and rather than writing full programs, I just knock up a few bash scripts to automate stuff.

But the Pis? I was just looking for something and found my first Pi, with a full sized SD card - along with one of each model since except the 2B and 3B+ - 2 each. I can actually enjoy computing again. I'm sometimes tempted to play with robotics, but alas, the poor old brain doesn't play well these days.

Toy or tool? For years I drove a high performance sports car very long distances at high speeds 'for work'. The same question could be asked about that..

Anyway, despite me boring too many people with my waffling on, some of the other members' replies have helped me find solutions to my own attempt to use the Pi 4 as a daily 'Desktop Computer' Thanks for the help :-)

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:43 am

I bought an all in one Dell desktop about about 5 years ago for just under $500. I knew it was low spec machine. It could not even do YouTube in any browser at 1080p ever. Everything was 720p or below.

It would have had no hope of running Doom 3 and choked on DOTA and even Warzone 2100. I used it for nothing but web browsing and it was quite slow at that. The Pi 4 on the other hand flies through those tasks and eats up even 1080p @ 60 fps video better than that Dell ever did 720p at standard frame rate. I spent $80.00 on the Pi 4, fan, case and heatsinks. A computer that outperformed the Dell. I spent $130 on a monitor and $42.00 on a wireless keyboard and mouse which is better than the Dell came with. Still came in well under the price of that Dell.

By any metric, the Pi 4 is great value. Even throwing in a 256gb SD card only added $38.00. The Dell had a 500gb slow HD. I have plenty of external drives and still came in less than the Dell with an 8tb external drive. The Pi 4 is an absolute value for a small desktop system even if you buy everything needed to make it so.

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:47 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am
For decades I had to build and support business systems. The fub went out of computers to the extent that my standard joke was 'I hate computers'. The reality now that I am over 65 and not in the industry any more, is that I can actually enjoy computers again. I have several computers left over from the business that once were considered fairly powerful, that haven't even been booted since about 2010. I do most of my photo editing on the Celeron BRIX as mentioned, and rather than writing full programs, I just knock up a few bash scripts to automate stuff.

But the Pis? I was just looking for something and found my first Pi, with a full sized SD card - along with one of each model since except the 2B and 3B+ - 2 each. I can actually enjoy computing again. I'm sometimes tempted to play with robotics, but alas, the poor old brain doesn't play well these days.

Toy or tool? For years I drove a high performance sports car very long distances at high speeds 'for work'. The same question could be asked about that..

Anyway, despite me boring too many people with my waffling on, some of the other members' replies have helped me find solutions to my own attempt to use the Pi 4 as a daily 'Desktop Computer' Thanks for the help :-)
Exactly. The hobbyist nature of Pi makes computing fun again and you can add to it to make it what you need it to be. Why drive that Sports Car guzzling excess energy all the time when you really don't really need to? The Pi 4 amazes with what it can do with such a small power usage footprint.

I am older as well and remember the Commodore and Amiga days very well. I enjoyed computing when it was Commodore/Amiga/DOS and the Pi has brought all that back to me now. Loving every moment of it. Best investments I have made in a long time.

jcyr

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:11 am

graphicw wrote:
If you want to browse the web, play some nostalgic games, light photo editing, watch videos and etc the Pi may be all you need. You also have to budget in power requirements. My main desktop can pull down 600 watts while playing ESO or WOW with around 200 watts being the idel pull. The Pi is going to pull done less than 15 watts. My main desktop mainly stays off as well as my other larger computers. The Pi's run 24/7.
Absolutely no need to overclock if that's all you're going to do!
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

graphicw

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 am

jcyr wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:11 am
graphicw wrote:
Absolutely no need to overclock if that's all you're going to do!
Why not? You always should explore what you can do with a system without hurting it. I found the sweet spot of what these systems can do and have found it on all the ones before this system. This is a hobby and challenge and I am willing to play.

I can bypass the PMIC if need be and easily run 2 GHz, but why bother? It performs fine at 1800 MHz and you won't see much difference exceeding that. I have power supplies that can give any voltage and amperage I need but why bother when I accomplish what I need without it?

rpdom

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 am

graphicw wrote:
I am enjoying these little machines more than I would enjoy building a $3,000 desktop.
I had one of their ancient relatives. The Acorn ARM development add-on processor for one of my BBC Microcomputers ("Micro" Hah! Absolutely massive compared to the Pi). That cost around £4000 originally (about $8000 at the time). I didn't dare take a soldering iron to that board - but I did modify my Beebs a bit.
RossDv8 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:49 am
I remember buying a house in 1984, and a few months later spending the same amount on an Epson QX-10 (no hard drive), colour printer, cp/m and some programs.
I bought my house in 1998. A year later I picked up a Unix system that was being junked because it wouldn't pass the Y2K scenario. I salvaged parts from a few other machines as well to get as much memory, CPU and storage as I could fit into that box. I actually got it running at a higher spec than it was designed for. 33MHz CPU, 240MB RAM, 4GB of disks, 10Mb Ethernet, 18 serial ports, two tape drives. I looked up the list price for all those parts and it came out at slightly more than I paid for the house. I scrapped it about a year later when I started running Linux on PCs instead of Windows 98. It was interesting to learn stuff on. I managed to get a simple web server running on it (only accessible locally). I had to write some new C library routines for that as the ancient (SVr2) OS it was running didn't have a few important functions. That was a good opportunity to learn some C.

RossDv8

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:25 am

Agreed! I've been slack about reading the specs, so I wasn't aware of what the over_voltage options were. Once graphicw put me on the right track with that I tried it, and settled in 1.8GHz. But I also liked the suggestion of 6by9 to switch via GPIO, and read the link on config.txt conditional options. And jamesh reminding us that we're pushing the limits a bit, is actually sensible.

Nice to see the Engineers keeping a bit of an eye on the things we're trying to do to their poor little Pi...
It has been a lively, fun, and for me at least, educational thread. :D

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

diogen151 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:49 am
clicky wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:49 am
Any chance you producing image that trips it and share it? I am just very curious to see it with my own eyes :D
This image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuLYwA ... sp=sharing

is scan of old dia-slide from late 70-ties.
5 attempts, GIMP crashes 3 times - 2 successful Sharpen(Unsharp Mask)
Just for reference - no overclocking or any other tinkering with Pi - uptime of 13 days:
Same picture, nothing else really running but 5-6 terminal tabs (I've closed Chromium and two instances of PyCharm which were pushing memory closer to full ~ 70/30% split between used/caches)
- First Sharpen(Unsharp Mask) - success,
- Second go - Gimp dies:

Here's random excerpt from syslog:

Code: Select all

Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.585158] Out of memory: Kill process 28625 (gimp-2.10) score 636 or sacrifice child
Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.585191] Killed process 28625 (gimp-2.10) total-vm:2962344kB, anon-rss:2475372kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:13476kB
Sep 26 11:32:23 desktop-pi kernel: [1190880.884607] oom_reaper: reaped process 28625 (gimp-2.10), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:13476kB
PS Nice picture :)

dickon

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 am

If you can, could you try that with a 64b kernel? I'd be interested to see if the same thing happens again.

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:45 am

dickon wrote:
If you can, could you try that with a 64b kernel? I'd be interested to see if the same thing happens again.
Not soon. :( I am using that Pi for my day to day non professional work and it would take time to tinker with kernel, etc. And I'm in the middle of something else :( Maybe someone with 64bit kernel already in place can jump in...

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:40 am

dickon wrote:
As long as there's enough swap, it shouldn't.

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
dickon wrote:
Was well worth trying. I've increased it to 2GB (it's in a file on SSD so it should be reasonable performance wise) and...
Well - something did change - it didn't immediately died after starting second Unsharp Mask but hang at 0% reported. I've killed it and started again. This time I started second pass and died at ~ 10%. I can see that not much of a swap was used (at least eye-balling `watch free -h`)

But it really seems that this picture pushes Gimp to allocate all 'free' memory. Strangely enough that memory pressure doesn't release 700-ish MB of cache...

Now, I was just curious and tried the same on OSX with much older version of Gimp and it didn't fail but that particular filter does behave oddly: first time round it was invoked all seems fine. Second time round it takes some unexplainable amount of time just for dialog to appear and when it finishes progress bar at the bottom doesn't disappear. I can run it third time as well and it still doesn't disappear (not thing else bad happens). It would be interesting seeing someone else run Gimp on Linux machine and compare it with RPi's behaviour.

BTW - not-disappearing-progress-bar just disappeared after restarting Gimp and all works fine now on OSX.

jamesh

Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:39 pm

clicky wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
dickon wrote:
Was well worth trying. I've increased it to 2GB (it's in a file on SSD so it should be reasonable performance wise) and...
Well - something did change - it didn't immediately died after starting second Unsharp Mask but hang at 0% reported. I've killed it and started again. This time I started second pass and died at ~ 10%. I can see that not much of a swap was used (at least eye-balling `watch free -h`)

But it really seems that this picture pushes Gimp to allocate all 'free' memory. Strangely enough that memory pressure doesn't release 700-ish MB of cache...

Now, I was just curious and tried the same on OSX with much older version of Gimp and it didn't fail but that particular filter does behave oddly: first time round it was invoked all seems fine. Second time round it takes some unexplainable amount of time just for dialog to appear and when it finishes progress bar at the bottom doesn't disappear. I can run it third time as well and it still doesn't disappear (not thing else bad happens). It would be interesting seeing someone else run Gimp on Linux machine and compare it with RPi's behaviour.

BTW - not-disappearing-progress-bar just disappeared after restarting Gimp and all works fine now on OSX.
Sounding more and more like a memory leak issue in GIMP.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

clicky

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm

It definitively seems like some kind of Gimp related thingy - which is exaggerated by amount of available memory on Pi4.

Return to “General discussion”