adamspeter

How to make a simple embedded os

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:18 pm

Hello
I'm C++/Qt developer and i want to know how can i make simple embedded Linux based os
The only thing the os do is when the user launch the RPi4 it opens my software only

pi3g
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Re: How to make a simple embedded os

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm

I suggest to look into Alpine Linux, if you want something which the user can unplug at will (RAM based).

If sudden power drops by the user unplugging are not of concern to you, look into customizing Raspbian Lite, it will be much easier.

Otherwise study what LibreELEC is doing - they are creating an embedded application, just the way you want to do it.

If you are still unsure, you can hire someone to do the work, who knows what to do.
picockpit.com - tools to make your life with the Pi a little bit easier

Gavinmc42

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:18 am

Have a look at how Calin has done it with MotionEye OS.
https://github.com/ccrisan
He uses Buildroot.
https://buildroot.org/
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DavidS

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 am

Depends on the dependancies of your program. If you only need the kernel calls and nothing else you can put your program directly in place of init.
If you need more then you will need to add everything your application requires, and any dependancies of those components, as well as the scripts to get everything configured and launch your program.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”