W. H. Heydt

Official case/case top to accomdate HATs?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:20 pm

From what I've seen, it appears that the Pi4B case doesn't have a separate top covering that can be removed to use HATs. While there is probably a general market for either a separate case kit, or just a separate top with either the HAT area open or with a removable panel, I have something more specific in mind. Given the reports about the Pi4B running hot and cooling looking like a very good idea, I'd have a couple of uses where I could kill "two birds with one stone". That is using the PoE HAT for cooling and power.

So...any chance of either an official case with a top cut out, or just a top with cut out as a separate product to fit the official case bottom? Or even just a top with a "knock out" panel. Either way, I could see using up to 10 of them...

Andyroo

Re: Official case/case top to accomdate HATs?

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Wonder if you can laser cut the current white part of the case?

Pimoroni have a hole in their coupé case but I do not like the style :lol:

alphanumeric

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 pm

Even the older Pi 3 official case isn't all that hat friendly, IMHO. For example you can't mount a Sense Hat inside, even with the top cover removed, without modifying it. I had to remove some plastic from the under side of the picture frame cover to get the cover to attach to the case properly. The other thing that turns me off from those cases is no cooling / ventilation holes? Its for all intense and purposes air tight? They are really nice looking cases though. I like the black grey over the white orange.

I like the Pibow Coupe cases. I do get why other don't, its a personal preference thing. I have several of the black Ninja ones for my 3b+'s and 3A+'s. And one of the new Pi 4 ones on order. The latest version have cutouts for heatsinks. I would do that by hand with a dremel in the past.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:31 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:06 pm
Even the older Pi 3 official case isn't all that hat friendly, IMHO. For example you can't mount a Sense Hat inside, even with the top cover removed, without modifying it. I had to remove some plastic from the under side of the picture frame cover to get the cover to attach to the case properly. The other thing that turns me off from those cases is no cooling / ventilation holes? Its for all intense and purposes air tight? They are really nice looking cases though. I like the black grey over the white orange.

I like the Pibow Coupe cases. I do get why other don't, its a personal preference thing. I have several of the black Ninja ones for my 3b+'s and 3A+'s. And one of the new Pi 4 ones on order. The latest version have cutouts for heatsinks. I would do that by hand with a dremel in the past.
I like the official black/grey myself, though for the Pis I use for member entry stations at a convention where I'm in charge of ConReg, I use the white/red ones because that's more in tune with other official convention themed items.

The official cases are hardly "air tight". Granted, there's not going to be a log of exchange, but there likely will be some. If I can get a top that works with the PoE HAT, it would probably drill an array of holes in the otherwise solid area of the top cover to permit better air flow. Assuming the fan vents into the case, the air would then come out the holes.

Andyroo

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 pm

I was thinking of using Pimoroni Fan Shim and would want the lid around the fan.

Saying that - I still have wallpaper to buy before ordering what I am planning dreaming about :lol:

Pointlespi

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 am

Andyroo wrote:
I was thinking of using Pimoroni Fan Shim and would want the lid around the fan.

Saying that - I still have wallpaper to buy before ordering what I am planning dreaming about :lol:
I was under the impression that fan connecting directly to the GPIO was a good way to kill your pi?

alphanumeric

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:54 am

Pointlespi wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 am
Andyroo wrote:

I was under the impression that fan connecting directly to the GPIO was a good way to kill your pi?
It shouldn't be an issue if its designed properly and made for that purpose. Bodging in something you striped out of something else could be an issue though. Back EMF, electrical noise etc.

Return to “General discussion”