dickon

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 usb boot?

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:18 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:14 pm
Is any news about implement USB Boot for rpi4 ? When ?
Read the thread.
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

B.Goode

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:21 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:14 pm
Is any news about implement USB Boot for rpi4 ? When ?

There is a forum thread on this topic, including statements from an RPF spokesperson, here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=243995

pepeEL

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm

I read. But People tell that after implement network boot. But it was implemented... But implementation usb boot nothing change

DirkS

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:32 pm

pepeEL wrote:
I read. But People tell that after implement network boot. But it was implemented... But implementation usb boot nothing change
If you read it then you should have seen that the answer is that there is no news (as usual) and it's ready when it's ready.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:34 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Actually we finished it months ago, but thought it would be really funny if we didn't tell anyone. It's just been sitting there in the software, and no-one has noticed it. We do laugh every day when we come in* and realise it's still not been found. **

* before Covid-19.

** Or, perhaps it's just not finished yet, and when we do finish it we will actually make sure it's release will be well publicised?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

davidcoton

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
Actually we finished it months ago, but thought it would be really funny if we didn't tell anyone. It's just been sitting there in the software, and no-one has noticed it. We do laugh every day when we come in* and realise it's still not been found.

* before Covid-19.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised by that! Working so hard as to get things finished that quickly can warp your sense of humour.
And if things didn't happen that way occasionally, what would all the Conspiracy Theorists feed on?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

ejolson

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:27 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:52 pm
jamesh wrote:
Actually we finished it months ago, but thought it would be really funny if we didn't tell anyone. It's just been sitting there in the software, and no-one has noticed it. We do laugh every day when we come in* and realise it's still not been found.

* before Covid-19.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised by that! Working so hard as to get things finished that quickly can warp your sense of humour.
And if things didn't happen that way occasionally, what would all the Conspiracy Theorists feed on?
I think the same thing happened with the USB-C port: The resistor went in and the engineers waited for someone to notice that power delivery worked.

From what I understand, not only is it important during the quarantine to drink plenty of fluids and keep breathing, but it is equally important to maintain a sense of humour and psychological balance. Thankfully, I'm enjoying to do cool stuff at home with a Pi to pass the time.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:46 pm

jamesh wrote:
pepeEL wrote:
Actually we finished it months ago, but thought it would be really funny if we didn't tell anyone. It's just been sitting there in the software, and no-one has noticed it. We do laugh every day when we come in* and realise it's still not been found. **

* before Covid-19.
Checks date... Hmmm.... About 3 days early...

** Or, perhaps it's just not finished yet, and when we do finish it we will actually make sure it's release will be well publicised?
Indeed.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 pm

pepeEL wrote:
What was said that after finishing network boot the software engineer would -start- on the USB boot code.
I gave you seven days off to think about "Not annoying our community".

jamesh

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am

Deleted off topic posts.

Niklo

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:07 am

Hi,
I read the last posts but I'm not sure about the current status of the USB boot of the latest Raspberry PI 4.
Has the work started and is in progress or hasn't it started yet?
Is there a rough estimation when there could be a USB boot available for the latest Raspberry PI 4?
Kind regards,
Roland

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:11 am

Niklo wrote:
Hi,
I read the last posts but I'm not sure about the current status of the USB boot of the latest Raspberry PI 4.
Is there a rough estimation when there could be a USB boot available for the latest Raspberry PI 4?
Kind regards,
Roland

Raspberry Pi Trading do not issue a Public Roadmap, it will be ready when it is ready, as already stated ad-infinitum.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 am

Niklo wrote:
Hi,
Kind regards,
Roland
YAWN!

How many more times are folks not going to read and comprehend this thread first before posting?
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Niklo

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Raspberry Pi Trading do not issue a Public Roadmap, it will be ready when it is ready, as already stated ad-infinitum.
Thank you for the answer. So there is not only no public roadmap but no a rough estimation availabe. That's a pity. Is there any infomation whether work on the usb boot has started or not?
Kind regards

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 am

Niklo wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thank you for the answer. So there is not only no public roadmap but no a rough estimation availabe. That's a pity. Is there any infomation whether work on the usb boot has started or not?
Kind regards

Please read previous post your question HAS answered:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1634242

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 am

Niklo wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Kind regards
What part of "no public roadmap" are you having such a difficulty grasping?
They aren't pre-announcing any part of USB boot. Expect it around Easter 2021 and you may (fingers crossed, virus permitting) not be disappointed.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am

After 23 pages maybe it is time to totally delete this whole post and replace it with a locked sticky.

dickon

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:58 am

Well said...
As it is apparently board policy to disallow any criticism of anything, as it appears to criticise something is to criticise all the users of that something, I will no longer be commenting in threads which are not directly relevant to my uses of the Pi.

Niklo

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:21 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:44 am
After 23 pages maybe it is time to totally delete this whole post and replace it with a locked sticky.
Thank you for your answers.
Deleting and replacing the information of the thread with a locked sticky will not help the users. I can understand that you don't want to waste time to answer everyday questions about the status. But maybe closing this thread and offering a link that shows the informations that is available to offer is a good idea. There could be something short like e.g. "Work on the usb boot is starting when other more important tasks are done. So there could be something available at Easter 2021. If it's ready there will be an announcement at the current page..."
Kind regards,
Roland

dickon

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 am

There are replies, from RPT staff no less, in this thread which say exactly that. You've just not bothered to read them.

jcansell

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am

Long thread, Is boot from USB working yet, or do i need to downgrade to an Rpi 3 ?

jcansell

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:48 am

Ok reading up, i can see this thread is just trolls vs developers.
I vote up deleting this useless thread and replacing it with a sticky.

can someone post a link to a working method to start booting from SD then handover to USB,
i tried one but it didn't work for me.

thanks

B.Goode

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:53 am

jcansell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:43 am
Long thread, Is boot from USB working yet, or do i need to downgrade to an Rpi 3 ?

See Moderator reply here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1634188

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:54 am

jcansell wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:48 am
Ok reading up, i can see this thread is just trolls vs developers.
I vote up deleting this useless thread and replacing it with a sticky.

can someone post a link to a working method to start booting from SD then handover to USB,
i tried one but it didn't work for me.

thanks

BerryBoot has that functionality:

https://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qgno42VGPY

jamesh

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:07 am

Oookkkayyyyy.

Since its is abundantly apparent that most people cannot be bothered to read this thread (and why would they, with so much free time on their hands), here is another definitive statement. Which is basically the same as all the previous statements.

USB boot development is in progress. We do not have a schedule for it, nor a release date. It is not the highest priority task we have, but there again, we do have more than one engineer and are perfectly capable of working on more than one thing at a time. When it is ready it will be announced. Probably in HUGE FLASHING letters on the blog home page.

Hopefully that is clear enough. Any more posts in new threads about this will be deleted without warning.

Return to “General discussion”