mikerr

Very simple OTG on pi4

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm

I've found OTG is really simple and useful on the pi4 with new firmware.

Since the USB-C power port can now carry data, you can plug that into a USB port on your PC and access the Pi via a drive letter.

Image Image

Here's how:

1. Add a single line to config.txt :

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=dwc2
2. Mount the boot partition as MSD on bootup:

crontab -e

Code: Select all

@reboot sudo modprobe g_mass_storage file=/dev/mmcblk0p1 removeable=1
After a reboot the pi will appear as a drive letter under windows, with the boot partition being read/write.

Almost the same as if you'd removed the SD card and put it in a card reader on the PC,
with the difference that this is on the live running Pi.

I've already found this useful for changing wifi settings (drop a wpa_supplicant.conf file on boot), and for small file transfers (boot partition is now bigger in buster: 256MB with 200MB free space)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

solar3000

Re: Very simple OTG on pi4

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 pm

That is weird I got to try that.
Antikythera

thagrol

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 pm

mikerr wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:21 pm
I've already found this useful for changing wifi settings (drop a wpa_supplicant.conf file on boot), and for small file transfers (boot partition is now bigger in buster: 256MB with 200MB free space)
I'm surprised you've been sucessful with that though things may have changed with Buster.

On stretch (and earlier) if you make a change from one side of the mass storage gadget (e.g. from the USB host) the other side (raspbian) won't see it without unmounting and remounting the partition. Or a power cycle. Or disconnect/reconnect.

You're going to corrupt your data doing this.
This space unintentionally left blank.

lb

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:16 am

Yeah, it's not safe to do this!

However, what is completely safe and also very useful is the g_ether module which allows you to let the OTG port act as a network device. It's probably not reliably to possible to power a Pi 4 plus peripherals from a typical PC USB port, but the Pi 4 on its own was fine, with the occasional low voltage warning.

Ebraheem Bambotia

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:54 am

This is probably only useful for people who don't have an SD card reader on their PC or laptop and need to make changes in a hurry. Otherwise I don' tsee any point in risking data corruption as thagrol said

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:33 am

lb wrote:

However, what is completely safe and also very useful is the g_ether module which allows you to let the OTG port act as a network device. It's probably not reliably to possible to power a Pi 4 plus peripherals from a typical PC USB port, but the Pi 4 on its own was fine, with the occasional low voltage warning.

If using the PoE Hat it could be useful ??
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

thagrol

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:15 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:33 am
lb wrote:

If using the PoE Hat it could be useful ??
Or power the 4B through the GPIO header.

thagrol

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 am

lb wrote:

It can be done safely, just not the way the OP suggests.

The trick is to only have the shared storage mounted on one side at a time.

Or use g_ether as suggested combined with an sftp client or run a samba server on the 4B.

Aardappeltaart

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:06 pm

I got the RPI4 working and connected to the internet with just an USB cable from my laptop using Ethernet OTG.

Like described here:
https://dev.webonomic.nl/4-ways-to-conn ... e-internet

Dunno if my laptop delivers enough juice to do something fancy, but it's already sweating doing nothing:
61° idle.

Return to “General discussion”