chithanh

Re: Reasoning behind dual Micro HDMI, and potential future alternatives?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 am

b3lt3r wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:38 pm
USB-C and mini HDMI
Note that the Raspberry Pi 4 uses Micro HDMI not Mini HDMI. Mini HDMI was used in the Pi Zero (and I found that questionable too over e.g. MHL, but as an extreme low-cost device used mostly in fixed installations it did not bother me much).
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:04 pm
OMG!
Should I start to cry because I have a box full of composite/VGA and DVI cables (not to mention SCART) and can no longer use them? No, I don't!
[...]
Maybe I should also blaim someone for inventing DECT standard for cordless phones ... because I have tons of RJ'can't remeber which standard it is ' cables as well
I mentioned in a previous post already that my goal is not to connect any old trash to the Pi with existing cables without using an adapter.
I was actually totally fine with no VGA output on the PI when it launched in 2012, because VGA was the past and HDMI was the future. If you want to continue using legacy peripherals, then having to buy adapters to connect them to modern computers is expected.

The situation with Micro HDMI however is different. Micro HDMI is not the future, it wasn't very common even in its heyday, and it is now nearly gone from new computers. I think you can almost count on one hand the laptops or tablets with Micro HDMI released in 2019.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Reasoning behind dual Micro HDMI, and potential future alternatives?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:34 am

chithanh wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 am
b3lt3r wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:38 pm
USB-C and mini HDMI
Note that the Raspberry Pi 4 uses Micro HDMI not Mini HDMI. Mini HDMI was used in the Pi Zero (and I found that questionable too over e.g. MHL, but as an extreme low-cost device used mostly in fixed installations it did not bother me much).
aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:04 pm
OMG!
Should I start to cry because I have a box full of composite/VGA and DVI cables (not to mention SCART) and can no longer use them? No, I don't!
[...]
Maybe I should also blaim someone for inventing DECT standard for cordless phones ... because I have tons of RJ'can't remeber which standard it is ' cables as well
I mentioned in a previous post already that my goal is not to connect any old trash to the Pi with existing cables without using an adapter.
I was actually totally fine with no VGA output on the PI when it launched in 2012, because VGA was the past and HDMI was the future. If you want to continue using legacy peripherals, then having to buy adapters to connect them to modern computers is expected.

The situation with Micro HDMI however is different. Micro HDMI is not the future, it wasn't very common even in its heyday, and it is now nearly gone from new computers. I think you can almost count on one hand the laptops or tablets with Micro HDMI released in 2019.
On the other hand, it's more common on phones and camcorders which are too small for full size HDMI.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”