kozsar

Raspberry Pi 4 with dual touchscreen running dual chromium

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:58 am

Hello Raspberry fans!
Thanks for reading...
I am a newbie here, so please accept my apologies if my questions contains some basic issues. I am trying to summarize everything here as good as possible.

We have a project where we would like to build a raspberry based POS terminal with having two touchscreen attached to it. As the new Rpi 4 supports dual screens this can have great effect to our plans what I want to make clear and I curious what do you think about it. Some basic standpoints:

- we build this project to have 2 separate RPIs as we need two touchscreens. These touchscreens are independent from each other (not mirrored).
- the devices and the application is web based so we are running chroium kiosk mode on the devices
- as we have two separate RPIs, the dual touchscreen and the window handling can't be an issue

My question:
as the new raspberry pi 4 supports dual screens what do you think is it possible to achieve the above goals with one device?
So:
- one raspberry pi 4
- two touchscreen connected to it (warning: not simple display we need touchscreen to both)
- on both screen chromium running in kios mode, autostarted etc.
- primary screen's touchscreen is always active, secondary screen's touchscreen not forced to be active always (just when needed some tapping from customer side)
- not mirroring needed, we need to display certain information when a certain activity happens on primary screen.

What I am thinking can cause issue:
- making work both touchscreen
- handle which window is active
- handle the touchscreens input
- handle the dependent activity in relation with primary / secondary screen and in relation that we are talking about a web application.
- handle kiosk mode run independently on both screen

What do you think guys? Can you help us with this field? Any help apppreciated.

Viljami123

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 with dual touchscreen running dual chromium

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:59 pm

Apparently no one cares. I'm sorry buddy. I would help if I could, but I myself am beginner. You might want to try watching YouTube, If you find help.

Timescale

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 am

It is certainly possible to use two touchscreens and map them correctly, but I do not know how that effects the functionality. For instance, I do not know if you could do a drag or pinch gesture simultaneously. Part of it depends on the driver or how it is supported in xinput.

While most likely possible from a technical point of view, I'd say that the hassle in configuring it and the possible problems that could arise after getting it to work isn't worth the time if you are doing it for a production system. The time you spend on it will quickly equal the cost of a secondary RPi4 unit.

In any case, any way you approach this, you might want to try your POI/POS solution with Firefox instead of Chromium. In my experience, Chromium is far to unstable to even reliably display a simply dynamic page for half a day. Firefox is faster, uses less memory, crashes less often and renders pages more nicely.

It isn't hard to set up Firefox for kiosk mode. There are ways to automatically trigger full screen without a plugin.

Andyroo

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:16 am

Viljami123 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Apparently no one cares. I'm sorry buddy. I would help if I could, but I myself am beginner. You might want to try watching YouTube, If you find help.
I think it’s more that the whole dual screen and Buster are new and folk are learning how things are working and how far you can push the new boards.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:17 am

Wow all these noobies think we know the answers after one week?
The Pi4 has attracted a new crowd of users.

As to the question, yes the hardware should do what you want.
Eben has spoken of two screens. two keyboards, two mice, two users on one Pi4.
Touchscreens emulation mouse/joystick, that is known to work.

But we have a new release OS, things are still a work in progress.
The answer to your question could be yes but nobody has tried it yet in the week or so we have had these new Pi4's.

So the answer is yes but When is next question, your guess is as good as mine.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Timescale

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:17 am
Wow all these noobies think we know the answers after one week?
Seeing as on the software side little has changed from the RPi3 boards, many "noobie" forum members might have had some experience with earlier boards that is still relevant.

I do think that my experience with deploying these machines in the wild with various third party touch screens for various applications give me at least a moderate amount of insight that has some merit to be shared. At least more than simply equating merit to the number of posts I wrote on a forum that before this week I never actually needed because I never had any issues with my RPi1's 2's and various 3's...(And the fact that on fora, certain elements can be quite toxic and I like to avoid that if at all possible.. Things like territorial-ism and such)

So yeah! I knew a possible answer after a week.. I'd probably give the answer 3 months ago because it is common sense. POI/POS's need to work flawlessly for hours so less newy'ness and complexity is better. This remains true regardless of the number of posts about noobs one has made on a forum.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:16 am

Ouch :oops:
Ok noobies as in noobie posters?
I agree they might be experienced with all sorts of SBC's.

But I still think the Pi4 has dragged in some new users or forced old ones out of the woodwork.
There may be a bunch of lurkers who are familiar with Pi's and Pi timeframes too that might be speaking out now?

Just my observation that questions are coming from low posting users.
There could be many reasons for that.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 am

Tried dual touch on an Rpi4 (official DSi and external touch monitor). Works somehow but not as OP intends to use it.
Maybe that has changed now -> OP needs to test it.

DeepCoder

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 am

I restart the thread because I would be interested too. As it is now almost 3 months since the Raspberry PI 4 came out, so any experience on the subject is welcome.

Return to “General discussion”