galfert

Raspberry Pi 4 B - HDMI over USB-C

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Is is possible to get HDMI output using the USB-C port on the Raspberry Pi 4 B?

I suppose you'd need to provide power via PoE to free up the USB-C port or use some sort of OTG power splitter cable if it exists. Or even better if you could somehow use the NexDock 2 an then only use a single USB-C cable between them, that would be awesome.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 B - HDMI over USB-C

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 pm

No, this is not possible. There is no route from the graphics system to the USB system for video.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
No, this is not possible. There is no route from the graphics system to the USB system for video.
Hmm... USB-C port would appear to right out, since it doubles as the power connector, however... I have a Pi2B that drives a 10" adequately through some adapters off a USB 2 port (the native connection on the display is DisplayPort...an early Packed Pixel unit). One would, therefore expect it to be possible to that using a USB 3 port and go to something with pretty good resolution.

thagrol

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Hmm... USB-C port would appear to right out, since it doubles as the power connector, however... I have a Pi2B that drives a 10" adequately through some adapters off a USB 2 port (the native connection on the display is DisplayPort...an early Packed Pixel unit). One would, therefore expect it to be possible to that using a USB 3 port and go to something with pretty good resolution.
Won't that be using DisplayLink or a similar proprietry protocol? As I recall there is no direct support for GPU output over USB2.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm

thagrol wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:08 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Won't that be using DisplayLink or a similar proprietry protocol? As I recall there is no direct support for GPU output over USB2.
All I can say it that I set it up and it works. The second gen Packed Pixel displays are supposed to have optional HDMI and the second gen DisplayPort is supposed to work with HDMI, as well. Plus, their second kickstarter campaign included a 13 in. 4K panel.

Return to “General discussion”