PiGraham

Re: The RPi4 makes no sense to me. Fight me!

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:02 am

jayeye wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:56 pm
I have always considered the Raspberry Pi as a platform for embedded systems, with using it as a generic computer being only a fringe application.
That isn't the core mission for RPI. It was created for education above all.
jayeye wrote:
Enter the RPi4. Dual 4K monitors? USB3? Does someone who can afford the dual 4K monitors (not to mention the adapters :) ), really need to save a couple of hundred dollars to get a Pi rather than get a proper desktop?
There is undoubtedly a commercial driver behind 2x 4k. Digital signage is a big thing and driving two screens from a single small board will probably be very popular in that market.

Of course you don't need 4k screens to use dual monitors. Dual HD monitors can be useful and economic in the classroom.
jayeye wrote:
Why not use the extra silicon area to provide, say, four or eight MIPI lanes for the CSI and DSI ports (or a second CSI port), put the USB3 ports on different roots instead of a hub, put more I/O pins, and so on?
Maybe because that would be much more of a niche than dual display.

I see more posts here about dual dsplay than dual camera. The CM already had two CSI ports.

And AIUI the USB 3 and Gb Ethernet are not limited by a USB2 hub.

RPi already has planty of GPIO for a vast array of application and it's easy to add more beyond what would ever be practical on a credit card sized SBC.

rin67630

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am

chinaguy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 am
I have seen them in Smart Media LED advertising boards and Tourist Information centers.
Exactly, and that ist probably the very purpose of that design. If the communication industry bites and purchases many of them, it will reduce the overall cost for everybody.

gordon77

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:03 am

Exactly, and that ist probably the very purpose of that design. If the communication industry bites and purchases many of them, it will reduce the overall cost for everybody.
I am not sure we would see reduced prices overall as RPF always stick to their target price eg $35, maybe the 2gb or 4gb would be reduced?

alphanumeric

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 am

Just because it supports 4k doesn't mean you have to use a 4K monitor. I have often wanted dual displays on my main Pi setup. I'd be more than happy with a couple of 20 or 22 inch 1080P displays. Still, if you already have a 4K monitor and want something to stream video etc to it, the 4B should do nicely.
For headless setups I currently use 3A+'s. Just enough ports to setup with a monitor and keyboard. Smaller foot print and same performance as a 3B+. I prefer them over Zero's as they make adding a full sized Hat easier and they have better performance.
If your serous about embedded systems go with a compute module.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 am

rin67630 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:18 am
chinaguy wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 am
I have seen them in Smart Media LED advertising boards and Tourist Information centers.
Not specifically done for that market - the SOC provided dual HDMI out, so we used it. It's good for multiple desktops, digital signage, education etc.

We do sell a lot in to the digital signage market though!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

TreeDude

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 pm

In the IT industry I have seen Pis used as thin clients for Citrix, VMware Horizon View, and RDS. Getting a higher resolution output and dual monitors makes these much more viable for that which is great.

Return to “General discussion”