ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm running with FKMS enabled and no compositing manager running, if that helps at all.

jdb

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 pm

masoud.emam wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:40 am
pi3g wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:31 pm
KanoMaster22 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm

This question also interests me. Does anyone know the answer to it?

Another great product from the Raspberry Pi team. Can't wait to get my hands on one (when the 4GB ones are back in stock).
I believe it has been fixed.
Hi all,

I have tested the I2C clock stretching feature of Raspberry Pi 4. unfortunately, it seems the bug has not been fixed!
using Raspberry Pi 4 I have exactly the same problem that I had using Pi 3B+.

I would be grateful if you could share your successful experience of testing I2C clock stretching using Pi 4.

thanks in advance
Can you try using i2c3 on GPIO2&3?
In config.txt comment out dtparam=i2c_arm=on and add the line dtoverlay=i2c3,pins_2_3 . The corresponding device node is /dev/i2c-3.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

PeterO

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:44 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 pm
I'm running with FKMS enabled and no compositing manager running, if that helps at all.
It would be helpful if you could explain how exactly you achieve that configuration. For those of us who aren't working with this stuff every day the acronym soup is hard to deal with.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Simple way - in raspi-config enable GL (FKMS) driver and disable 'Compositor'.

That should put dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d in config.txt to enable all the HW accelerated GL stuff.

And it should prevent xcompmgr from running, which reduces screen tearing, but can cause other issues.

PeterO

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 pm

It would appear that was how mine was set anyway as it made no changes to config.txt
xcompmgr isn't running anyway...

Oh well, it's not the end of the world ....

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Can't think of anything else that may be different. But those black pixels around your tooltips make it look like an older version of xcompmgr is running. That and all the different theming makes me suspect our environments are quite different.

PeterO

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:25 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm
Can't think of anything else that may be different. But those black pixels around your tooltips make it look like an older version of xcompmgr is running. That and all the different theming makes me suspect our environments are quite different.
OK, well it's all pretty much as standard out of th ebox, I've not played with it at all. How do I tell if xcompmgr is running ? I couldn't see it in ps output.
PeterO

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm

I'd do something like 'pgrep -a xcompmgr', but ' ps aux' should show it too.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Tried with xcompmgr running and a few different sets of options for it. Still seems to work as expected.

PeterO

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:37 pm

I was using ps and it was't there. So I enabled it and then it was there so I know I was looking in the right place :-)

Having it running made no difference to the cursor issue (or to black corners around the tool tip popups).

If I can find a spare SD card I'll do a fresh install and see what happens with that....

PeterO

PeterO

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

I've done a fresh install on an sd-card and found out something more about the problem....
The good thing is that I've been able to take a screen grab with the gimp where the cursor now shows up 8-)
The bad thing is that the cursor is shown in the wrong place (except for one specific case) :roll:
The two screen shots below show the problem. They were both taken with the cursor positioned in the centre of the blue waste bin icon.
The first one was taken with the application window at the very top of the screen, the second with the window moved down a the screen a bit.
In the second image the mouse cursor is shown displaced the same amount down the window as the window is down the screen ! Somewhere an offset seems to be being added twice ! The same thing applies if the window if offset horizontally from the left edge of the screen.
cursor1.png
cursor1.png (58.21 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
cursor2.png
cursor2.png (58.12 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
My guess is that the cursor was there all the time, but because the application window was far enough away from top left corner of the screen the cursor was positioned outside of the window when it was added into the captured image.

I have subsequently gone back to my original sd-card + usb-hdd system and the behaviour is the same. This is with the untested mesa installed.

Hopefully this is enough info for you to be able to track down the problem.

PeterO

PS: This could of course be a bug with the new "show cursor" functionality in gimp 2.10 ("new" in that it wasn't there in the earlier version on my Mint-19 boxes).

PeterO

KraustSD

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm

I just want to share my success with the 4GB Pi 4B so far. I purchased a $100 kit from Canakit and I am surprised at the performance improvements versus a 3B. Things actually worked out of the box (e.g. Wifi, which never worked for me on the 3B), and performance is surprising for what I got.

I am using this as an development PC, which I use for web browsing and SSHing to remote machines. I am driving 2 4k30 monitors through it. I was not able to find any solution on the market that could do this, in this form factor (Maybe the Jetson Nano, but I wasn't willing to go with that). I am not disappointed in the slightest.

I Have a case that supports a 5v fan I am using. Even overclocked to 1.8GHz (And 600MHz on the GPU), I am not seeing any huge thermal issues. I am seeing periodic stutters when doing normal development work. Not sure what's going on there.

I started off with the minimal raspbian install and installed xfce, because I like xfce. No issues on that front.

Temps are 56C at Idle, and 68-ish when watching Youtube videos (But I am only watching 480p, because my network isn't working right)

jcyr

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 am

jdb wrote:
In config.txt comment out dtparam=i2c_arm=on and add the line dtoverlay=i2c3,pins_2_3 . The corresponding device node is /dev/i2c-3.
Yes, clock stretching seems to work correctly on I2C-3.
Last edited by jcyr on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

clicky

Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:00 am

jcyr wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 am
jdb wrote:
Yes, clock stretching seems to work correctly on IC2-3.
That's good to know. Thanks :)

Atari2020

Re: Pi4 Thread - general discussion

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes. There were lots of changes in Buster for the 3D graphics system, which we use extensively. The Buster images for older models will be distributed soon.
[/quote]

I have the overscan problem that i 'fixed' by commenting out the new driver and forcing 1080 mode. Does that compromise performance? Should I be looking for a better monitor?

6by9

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Atari2020 wrote:

I have the overscan problem that i 'fixed' by commenting out the new driver and forcing 1080 mode. Does that compromise performance? Should I be looking for a better monitor?
Overscan compensation is now supported in the latest kernel. Aiui the raspbian image was updated this week, so should include those fixes.
It's not identical to the old behaviour as drm/kms (the kernel api) chooses to scale planes instead of reducing the available area for rendering, but it's there.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Atari2020

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm

6by9 wrote:
Atari2020 wrote:

Overscan compensation is now supported in the latest kernel. Aiui the raspbian image was updated this week, so should include those fixes.
It's not identical to the old behaviour as drm/kms (the kernel api) chooses to scale planes instead of reducing the available area for rendering, but it's there.
Great! I put config.txt back to default last night to see if there were any changes, but I did not change overscan. My last update was about a week ago anyways. I will do another and try it.
I am considering upgrading my old TV. I was wondering if the Pi is better with a TV or Monitor display, which in the old days was a no brainer. I was very surprised at the quality of a old digital TV with the PI.

Later update
I updated Rasbian and tried the config.txt settings. I still cannot use the new driver without overscan issues and the overscan settings seem to have no effect on my Emerson digital TV of unknown age, I tried 32 and 64, there was no difference.
However one thing has changed since I tried it last, it used to default to VGA or some other mode and now I no longer have to force mode 1,16 for 1080, I just comment out the new driver.
Hope this helps

Seketh

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am

6by9 wrote:
Atari2020 wrote:

My Pi 4 hdmi output has been fine since launch... And now with this latest update it boots with underscan.

I'm using a 4K TV with hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 for Kodi. Weirdly, all media plays correctly in Kodi (maybe because it automatically adjusts resolution/refresh rate). The GUI still shows with underscan, for some reason.

The "disable_overscan" option seems to do nothing, any ideas on what I should try to fix this?

dom

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:56 am

Seketh wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am
My Pi 4 hdmi output has been fine since launch... And now with this latest update it boots with underscan.
Yes, that is a bug that has been fixed since launch.
underscan is enabled by default to match behaviour of previous models of Pi and to allow users to see desktop edges on a TV.

If you don't want this add disable_overscan=1 to config.txt and reboot.

Atari2020

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 am

I did some more playing around with config.txt and found that the overscan setting DO work, but only on the bootup screen with the four Raspberries. They move when I change the settings, but the Desktop is the same.

I also tried using the new driver and found that there is a very substantial difference when playing Tux Racer or Flare. With the new driver the graphics and controls are smooth, with it commented out the graphics and controls are laggy.

Since I want to play games on the Pi 4 and have a Canakit case with fan that keeps it very cool, I need a display that will work properly. For desktop stuff there is no apparent difference but with games, including Freeciv, that I have tried there is a huge difference. I dont want to buy a new TV or monitor if this is a bug that will get fixed.

jamesh

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am

Atari2020 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:45 am
I did some more playing around with config.txt and found that the overscan setting DO work, but only on the bootup screen with the four Raspberries. They move when I change the settings, but the Desktop is the same.

I also tried using the new driver and found that there is a very substantial difference when playing Tux Racer or Flare. With the new driver the graphics and controls are smooth, with it commented out the graphics and controls are laggy.

Since I want to play games on the Pi 4 and have a Canakit case with fan that keeps it very cool, I need a display that will work properly. For desktop stuff there is no apparent difference but with games, including Freeciv, that I have tried there is a huge difference. I dont want to buy a new TV or monitor if this is a bug that will get fixed.
Are you completely up to date, because I thought the underscan issue when running FKMS (the faster graphics driver) had been sorted out?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 am

jamesh wrote: Are you completely up to date, because I thought the underscan issue when running FKMS (the faster graphics driver) had been sorted out?
That may not be in apt yet.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9#p1548559

Atari2020

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Are you completely up to date, because I thought the underscan issue when running FKMS (the faster graphics driver) had been sorted out?
[/quote]

Yes, I did an update before I did any of the changes to config.txt.

Atari2020

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Another thing I noticed about overscan, using the new driver, when I start Tux Racer, the Desktop goes to even higher overscan before TR loads and with the new driver there is more overscan in Tux Racer than using the old driver.

jamesh

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 am

Atari2020 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 pm
Another thing I noticed about overscan, using the new driver, when I start Tux Racer, the Desktop goes to even higher overscan before TR loads and with the new driver there is more overscan in Tux Racer than using the old driver.
Overscan handling is completely different in FKMS to the legacy code - we have moved from it being done in firmware to it being (mostly)supplied by the upstream development of DRM.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”