Wildeyebrow

using Engergenie sockets with PIR motion Sensors

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:57 am

Hello -

I am building an art installation which uses PIR Sensors to turn on mains plug power fans. I was originally going the relay route and building my own smart plug but found these engergenie sockets and thought it might be safer, specially as this is going to be in a public art gallery.

However the Engergenie control board uses the majority of the GPIO header pins and power. Can I still connect a PIR sensor to the remaining PINS and get it to work still as unsure how to get power to the PIR if all pwr pins cover?. Or do i need a USB powered one? I am on a tight budget for this project and need to find out before I did any purchases.

I am newish to Raspberry Pi and Python but have been experimenting with Arduino for a few years.

Thank you
Chris

hippy

Re: using Engergenie sockets with PIR motion Sensors

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Energenie seem to supply datasheets for their products and those should reveal which pins are used and which remain available. Energenie tech support may be able to tell you if the dastasheets do not.

You can connect other things to the Pi by soldering directly to the header pins underneath the board or you can place a break-out board with a stacking header between the Pi and the Energenie board, take connections from that break-out board.

B.Goode

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm

According to https://energenie4u.co.uk/res/pdfs/ENER ... -%20EU.pdf only 6 GPIO pins are used by the interface board documented therein.

If it is just a mechanical problem of making the connection, there are header-doubling products available, like this one : https://thepihut.com/products/mini-black-hat-hack3r

Wildeyebrow

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 am

Brilliant - thank you for quick reply.

I will look into those solution - I didn't know about the header doubling as it is mainly mechanical issue that the energenie board covers the header pins so you can't access them.

if that works I may attempt to solder after so I can make it fit cleaner in the housing I am creating.

cheers again - I will post if works.

Return to “General discussion”